Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[CPAP] Does it make a sense to get a CPAP in my case?
Does it make a sense to get a CPAP in my case?
Hello,
I am thankful to the founders of the forum. And thanks to everyone who tries to help others here.

I've been waking up with headaches for so long, feeling not refreshed, minimal to no energy to start the day. And after lunch there's almost always an irresistable urge to sleep. This happens like %70-80 of the time.

I tried everything the ENT doctor asked me to, every medicine they prescribed me. I even went to neurology doctor and get my brain checked with tomography and seems like there's nothing wrong with my brain's functioning.

Recently I got sleep tested and ever since then I am thinking of trying a CPAP or APAP machine. I would like to say that at the country I live (Turkey) there is no prescription needed to buy a CPAP device.

Vik Veer's video called "Why the AHI result is often wrong! Learn to read your sleep study correctly" explains how to read your sleep test in detail. My AHI overall is 6.1.
And just as Vik Veer said, the sleep doctor I went only looked at the average AHI index and said "try not to sleep on your back, use tennis balls to prevent laying on your back and try to lose weight, 10 kilograms is was we aim for." I have knee pain and I have to go to physical therapy for at least weeks to get rid of it, I don't think I don't think I can lose weight soon.

The things which make me think a CPAP / APAP device can get me rid of my sleepiness is some of the data on my report:

AH Index was 11.0 during  NREM - Supine position and 19.3 during REM Supine position.
By sleep stage top high is REM sleep with 8.5 and by position 13.5 AH index during supine. Other paramters are below 5.

If we look from this perspective it seems like using a tennis ball can preventing myself from laying on my back can significantly increase my sleep quality.

But...

When I check the graphics (hypnograms) I see that I was awake for 7 times during my sleep and out of 6 of my wake-ups occured while I was sleeping non-supine. (4 times right, 2 times left side)

Adding everything together, it seems like buying a CPAP device and trying it out seems worth trying.

On the other hand, I watched Nick (CPAP Reviews) explaining CPAP vs AUTOCPAP at the video called "CPAP vs AUTO CPAP" I see that people using APAP to get their AHI from let's say 30 or 40 to 3 or 5 and they seem they are happy about it. Since my AHI is already low, as far as I learned there are two options for me, use a CPAP and find a perfect air pressure (maybe 1 or two more than I need minimum) and use it. Or buy an APAP and use it with a narrow margin, like minimum pressure 10 maximum 13. It seems to me I can benefit from a device greatly this way. 

And when I use pillows as Nick shows in a YouTube video called "The Best Sleeping Position For Sleep Apnea & Snoring", I believe I will be able to wake up to a beautiful, refreshed morning.

What do you think?

If you think positive about me getting a CPAP, should I get a CPAP or APAP? And in which usage scenario do you think I can benefit the most?

May God help everyone who has hard time getting decent sleep.

Love and peace from Turkey.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Does it make a sense to get a CPAP in my case?
Hi SidWilliams,
Welcome to ApneaBoard!

Buy the AirSense 10 or AirSense 11 AutoSet. The Apap can be used in Auto mode or Cpap mode. This way, you have opportunity to use whichever mode you want.

If you buy the Cpap, then you are limiting yourself to one mode.
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  please help me make sense of my central apneas p4ncaketim 34 1,096 04-03-2024, 10:26 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Airsense 11 warranty case labrat 3 237 03-21-2024, 01:29 PM
Last Post: TechieHippie
  Not sure what to make of my OSCAR data Machinist 3 268 03-10-2024, 09:14 PM
Last Post: Machinist
  [CPAP] ResMed Air Sense 10 Auto Off Problem Buddie43 19 26,525 03-05-2024, 10:50 PM
Last Post: Ailyhsaun
  Can someone help me make sense of my Therapy Numbers? kc90 6 408 02-21-2024, 08:58 PM
Last Post: kc90
Idea Tell me how you've Modified your P10 to make it VENT more Hydrangea 47 6,640 01-13-2024, 04:53 PM
Last Post: her.suit
  Air Sense 11 - Pressure Setting goblue2024 3 457 01-10-2024, 02:20 PM
Last Post: dataq1

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.