Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[CPAP] Double top flow rate
Gross 
Double top flow rate
Hi everyone!
It is my first time here.

My problem is: I never wake feeling rested or good.
And wondering if these double tops is the cause.

How could I improve my sleep?

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Double top flow rate
Hello, I’m no expert, but if I had flow limits like yours I would be on zombie mode.

Put your EPR on 3 and see if that helps. On your Flow limit 95% your at 0.15 Some people it may or may not mean much , but when I was that high I felt awful. You may be sensitive like me.

Higher EPR is what helps lower flow limits. If you get centrals , back off to 2.
Post Reply Post Reply
Welcome

Your flow rate looks perfectly normal.  Your flow limits are high though.  We use EPR to help with these.  I suggest that you turn EPR on full-time, set at 3.  This should improve your treatment and comfort.  Also, most people are more comfortable with a range of pressure than using Cpap mode.  I suggest you switch to Apap mode and set your pressure range to 7-12.  Try those changes tonight, then post another chart tomorrow and tell us how you feel.  Smile

P.S. Unless you had lots of CAs in your sleep study you don't need to worry about them at all. Use the EPR 3 setting.
Machine:  ResMed AirCurve 10 Vauto
Mask:  Bleep DreamPort Sleep Solution
Post Reply Post Reply
Thank you, Nightynite and Deborah K, for your invaluable assistance. The EPR has indeed made a significant difference, resulting in my breaths appearing more rounded and free from double tops.

Initially, I began with an EPR setting of 3. Upon waking up in the middle of the night, I decided to check my AHI, which was at 3.8. Subsequently, I adjusted the EPR to 2 and concluded the night with a lowered AHI of 2.63.

Although I initially started CPAP therapy with EPR to ease into the process, it unfortunately led to CA.

It seems that I have a sensitivity to flow limitation and CO2.
What the next step should be? Any insights or recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
I don't get particularly alarmed at CA events less than 4/hour with new users. The mechanism of an open airway is simply a momentary cessation of breathing. There is no obstruction or chest pressure created by this type of event, and breathing often resumes without arousal. This is preferable to seeing obstructive events or high flow limitation which increases respiratory effort, arousals and fatigue. As the use becomes more accustomed to the improved ventilation, the CA events eventually subside and go away. Thee are ways you can stabilize CO2 with EPR, but it's probably not worth it in this case. We can conserved exhaled CO2 by using Enhanced Expiratory Rebreathing Space (EERS). This is simply modifying the exhaust vent in the mask, and adding space where exhaled air does not get vented. Wiki here: https://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.ph...ace_(EERS) As I said, I would not bother doing this modification unless your problem is much worse.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I think Sleeprider means you should set EPR at 3 again, and leave it there.  Smile
Machine:  ResMed AirCurve 10 Vauto
Mask:  Bleep DreamPort Sleep Solution
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [CPAP] Adjusting for flow limitations jane2911 15 820 6 hours ago
Last Post: jane2911
  [Symptoms] ASV Flow Limits kshvine 2 189 05-17-2024, 08:27 AM
Last Post: unadvisedfun
  Understanding Philips Dreamstation data in OSCAR - A-Flex, leak rate and pressure? Stubert 3 171 05-16-2024, 01:40 PM
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza
  How to reduce flow limitations on Dreamstation Auto CPAP? CentralApneaUser909 4 1,057 05-13-2024, 08:52 PM
Last Post: Phaleronic
  Flow limitation on bipap(smoothing out) opo218 11 397 05-12-2024, 06:20 AM
Last Post: opo218
  Clear Airway and Flow limitations UARS SleepyGin 10 493 05-10-2024, 11:32 PM
Last Post: SleepyGin
  wild pulse rate swings (o2 ring) eok361 2 220 05-10-2024, 11:10 AM
Last Post: icipher

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.