Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

CPAP Equipment Replacement Excessive? Insurance Getting Ripped Off?
CPAP Equipment Replacement Excessive? Insurance Getting Ripped Off?
So I have been using my Dream Station for over a year now and have found the frequency that insurance is willing to replace/the recommended replacement frequency for certain items is excessive in my experience.  For example:

The water tank in my Dream Station is the original (I have an extra waiting if I needed it).  It looks basically the same as when it was new (I always used DI water in it.... except for like a week when I was on vacation but I was careful to rinse it out every morning so it didn't get mineral deposits on it).  I believe they let you get a new one ever 3 or 6 months (cannot remember).

My Dreamwear frame is the original and it still works just fine.  The nose piece seems to easily last 3 months.... possibly longer.  I suppose the cushion starts to get a little soft and not seal as well so I replace them as I have a bunch of them.... but again, this frequency far exceeds the frequency that they supposed to be replaced. Also, I only clean it ever few days usually.... it doesn't seem to break down the silicon like many say it does (by not washing it every day).

My heated hose - I have gone well over 6 months and only switched hoses because my Resmed full face mask that I tried had a different fitting and it was easier to set one up for the Phillips mask and the other for the Resmed.  My hose looks fine, doesn't leak, and the heated part still works.  I only clean it once every month or two.  Every 3 months for replacement seems excessive to me.

For the filters... my house is pretty clean and I vacuum regularly but the HEPA filters that are supposed to be replaced once a month look perfectly fine after even 2 months and do not restrict flow.  Maybe if my machine was set to 20 it would be filtering a lot more air but at the 12 I have it set to every month seems excessive.  The other filter that is supposed to be replaced every 6 months, I actually like to replace it about every 6 months because it starts to look a bit nasty.... though it probably has plenty of life still in it.

I made sure I have at least 1 extra of everything I need but I cannot bring myself to rip my insurance company off/contribute unnecessarily to higher than needed premiums and be wasteful by replacing everything before it really needs to be replaced.  

Am I alone in my thinking or do many of you also replace your items less than the "recommended frequency" (I suppose especially those of you that pay out of pocket)?
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: CPAP Equipment Replacement Excessive? Insurance Getting Ripped Off?
Build your 'inventory., as you have, so you have what you need. Obviously get more of what you use more often, then replace itiems with the frequency that you use them.
This extends to your device in that you wat something for a backup in case your primary litterally breaks down.
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-31-2020, 10:07 AM)bonjour Wrote: Build your 'inventory., as you have, so you have what you need. Obviously get more of what you use more often, then replace itiems with the frequency that you use them.
This extends to your device in that you wat something for a backup in case your primary litterally breaks down.

Yes, absolutely.  This is what I am doing it it makes sense.  I just don't see the need to have 3 water tanks, 3 extra hoses, several extra frames, etc. or to replace things before their lifespan is over as it is wasteful so I was curious what others do.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi Brian,
I have been PAPing since January 2014, and I have never needed replacements at the recommended rate.  I brought in enough to have replacements in case something failed, and then told the DME not to ship anything unless I specifically called and ordered.  Now that I have recently replaced the machine, I'll have to bring in some spares again (Climateline hose and watertank), but then I'll revert to my own usage rate.  Some masks last much longer than others, and I suspect that the schedules are geared toward toward the shortest lifespans.  Typical bureaucratic thinking - one size must fit all.
A.Becker
PAPing in NE Ohio, with a pack of Cairn terriers
Post Reply Post Reply
The replacement schedules followed by most insurance companies in the US are the ones set by Medicare. They are excessive. And they do put more money into the pockets of equipment manufacturers. It's ludicrous what insurance companies are paying equipment suppliers. It's a racket and it ends up costing all of us in the long run.

Like many others, I stock up on what I need, and then let everything lapse for a year or two.
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
It's now been 23 months of CPAP therapy for me. I have a ton of spare equipment. And, it keeps on coming. Now that I'm on Medicare with supplemental insurance, there's no out-of-pocket expense. 

I just hope that when Resmed comes out with their AirSense 11 AutoSet, it will still accept the 10 AutoSet gear.  Bigwink
Post Reply Post Reply
You won’t get the 11 until your machine is more than 5 years. I had received my machine 51/2 years ago and was told I could not have another one unless mine was damaged then I could only get the type I had previously. I bought a used one from Supplier #2 out of pocket.
Apnea (80-100%) 10 seconds, Hypopnea (50-80%) 10 seconds, Flow Limits (0-50%) not timed  Cervical Collar - Dealing w DME - Chart Organizing
Post Reply Post Reply
It may seem excessive, but be grateful.  I pay out of pocket for my supplies and get a nice hit in the wllet around replacement time.  My brother also has built up quite a supply of stuff from his insurance sending it to him regularly.  Thankfully we have the same machine!  Wink. so smoe supplius mysteriouslly wind upin the back of my pickup.  I don't ask, and he dont tell.  You gotta love brothers!!!!
Jeff8356

MacBook Air (2017, Intel) | macOS Monterey (12.7) | OSCAR v1.5.1 | VM = Win10/Win11 |
How to Links:
Installing OSCAR on a Mac
Organizing your OSCAR charts
Attaching screenshots and files for the forum
OSCAR Help
OSCAR - The Guide

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  NOTICE: Philips Respironics Recall Replacement Tally RayBee 183 29,063 03-24-2024, 06:30 PM
Last Post: Phaleronic
  Canadian here without insurance. Purchase advice needed. TrailerSweetheart 31 5,525 03-21-2024, 06:54 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  HDM Z1 Battery Replacement Ephraim 10 1,825 03-17-2024, 11:51 AM
Last Post: breinersj
  Airsense 11 Auto and insurance compliance and data reporting to sleep doctor sausagesrolex 1 245 03-01-2024, 11:59 PM
Last Post: an4g745
  [Equipment] Phillips DreamStation Replacement & Medicare oneeyeopen 3 203 02-29-2024, 01:29 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  Where to send my philips REPLACEMENT machine Rice95 7 1,126 02-29-2024, 01:20 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Can I buy just the Airsense 10 Motor replacement part? JohnReam 29 9,901 02-26-2024, 08:30 AM
Last Post: srlevine1

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.