Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[CPAP] Extracting Detailed Data from ResMed S9 Escape
Idea 
Extracting Detailed Data from ResMed S9 Escape
Wondering if anyone has been able to "Jailbreak" the S9 Escape? I'm only able to extract basic usage and statistical data from my SD card. Is it possible to access the detailed data like that found on the S9 Auto, S9 Elite, etc?
Basically want to know if my AHI is below the optimum target of "5"...
Much thanks
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Extracting Detailed Data from ResMed S9 Escape
Nope. The Escape keeps no data except hours used. There's nothing to break into.
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
(01-19-2013, 01:42 AM)Redhill82 Wrote: Wondering if anyone has been able to "Jailbreak" the S9 Escape? I'm only able to extract basic usage and statistical data from my SD card. Is it possible to access the detailed data like that found on the S9 Auto, S9 Elite, etc?
Much thanks
welcome to the board
what Paula said
not even MacGyver can break in or out
if efficacy data very important for you ... you need the Elite or Autoset (Not Escape Auto)

here is the S9 series specification guide and comparison charts
http://www.resmed.com/us/products/s9_ser...nc=dealers

Post Reply Post Reply
What statistical data do you get from your escape? And what program do you use to look at it? I have one too and noticed that there are lots more files on the card than you should need for just compliance data.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi Redhill82,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
What zonk and Paula said.
Best of luck to you.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-19-2013, 01:42 AM)Redhill82 Wrote: Wondering if anyone has been able to "Jailbreak" the S9 Escape?

It's likely a hardware issue. I doubt that this machine has the necessary sensors, like a pressure sensor and a low-inertia flow sensor, to collect the data needed to measure leaks, flow rates, apneas and hypopneas, let alone distinguish between clear-airway apneas and obstructive apneas.

I know that on PRS1 machines this shows up in the specs, as the bricks are unable to maintain as tight a tolerance on the pressure setting as the data-capable machines. The same is likely true of the ResMed machines.

(Edit: After checking the service manual for the PRS1 machines it appears that the bricks lack a pressure sensor on the main (PCA) board, but they do have a flow sensor. My guess is that the bricks use the flow sensor to infer the pressure and are therefore not as good at keeping the pressure stable as the patient inhales and exhales.)
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
This may be possible, but not easily.

I would consider purchasing the right S9 Autoset. Look on the back of the unit, you want the REF to say 36005. I just found one with under 100 hours on Craigslist for $200. Considering the CPAP success rate is only 25%, there should be a lot of units hanging around out there collecting dust.

I just uploaded the pictures of an S9 Autoset (36005) to this board, and they should be posted soon. I took one apart, and photographed the inside of the unit, along with both sides of the PC Board. There are 3 pressure sensors inside the unit, plus a replaceable battery.

Many times manufactures make the same unit, and make the feature changes by what software they load. I'm looking now how to plug into the processor and see what there is to see. It looks like they used a standard eeprom, so it may be possible to extract the firmware, and even upgrade it, as I have a eeprom reader.

More to come, but these things take time.

Post Reply Post Reply
(01-19-2013, 10:25 AM)herefishy Wrote: What statistical data do you get from your escape? And what program do you use to look at it? I have one too and noticed that there are lots more files on the card than you should need for just compliance data.

There may be files from the DME that contain the settings. What this does is you take them the card, they make the changes, and the next time you put the card back in the machine, it changes it to the new settings.

The Escape gives time used and that's it.

I sincerely doubt the Escape has the same guts as the Autoset. I don't think it would as simple as a different firmware that decides what components to turn on or off. It's not just air flow but readings from all sorts of things such as snore, flow limitation, flow rate, etc. Then there's the pulses it sends to determine the kind of event, etc.

I have both. If I were brave enough, I'd open them both up. I'm not that brave nor insane. It took me a long time to save up for the Autoset.
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
In the PRS1 line of machines, and this is straight from the service manual, the bricks have no pressure sensor on the main PCA. The bricks have a pressure stability of +/- 1.0 cm H2O, the data-capable machines have a pressure stabiity of +/- 0.5 cm H2O.

You can't get the same data out of the two classes of machines because they have different hardware. You can't get the same pressure stability out of the two classes of machines for likely the same reason.

I doubt the ResMed machines are any different.

I have no doubt that when Mark figured out how to read the data from these machines and crunch it in SleepyHead he discovered that the bricks are putting out a different data stream. His software collects and displays compliance data from both bricks and data-capable machines, but he gets so much more out of the data-capable machines. The reason is simple -- the data-capable machines are putting out more data. The bricks don't have the hardware necessary to do that.
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-19-2013, 01:42 AM)Redhill82 Wrote: Wondering if anyone has been able to "Jailbreak" the S9 Escape? I'm only able to extract basic usage and statistical data from my SD card. Is it possible to access the detailed data like that found on the S9 Auto, S9 Elite, etc?
Much thanks

This takes me back to the days when I was a more active listener to my scanner - a radio receiver designed to pick up signals for MOSTLY two way radio transmissions. It appears that the fully functional device was sold in many countries but in some of those countries, most notably, the United States, additional circuitry was added to "blot out" allegedly "forbidden" frequencies. Often these techniques had been discovered and there were ways of "undoing" these limitations. I presume that you're pondering whether or not they do similar things with the "brick" CPAPs and can they be "restored" to full function.

I don't know, but I thought I'd relay this concept to those who might wonder why you'd ever ask such a question. I've wondered the same actually, but since I don't have the technical know-how to make any internal modifications, I personally considered that pestering people enough will make them trade mine in for an AutoSet, just to get me off their backs!
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Help Interpreting Resmed Aircurve 10 VAuto Data fracturedhibernation 1 241 02-23-2024, 03:07 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  OSCAR says: "Resmed Airsense 10 does not record detailed data"! Really? PappaJoe 3 475 02-14-2024, 06:38 PM
Last Post: Crimson Nape
  My resmed s9 escape auto does not save date and time. jocemar 2 280 12-30-2023, 11:03 PM
Last Post: jocemar
  Does Resmed even ask for your permission before uploading your data ? S. Manz 18 2,073 12-23-2023, 05:51 PM
Last Post: Chainsawgod
  How do YOU report Resmed CPAP data for compliance silverchief2 21 1,449 12-17-2023, 03:34 PM
Last Post: Gideon
  [Equipment] How to send data from older Resmed Airsense 10 to sleep doctor? silverchief2 6 788 12-15-2023, 03:50 PM
Last Post: silverchief2
  [Equipment] ResMed S9 Elite stuck "erasing all data", bricked User3001 0 271 11-17-2023, 12:03 PM
Last Post: User3001

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.