Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[CPAP] First Post - Can't stay asleep with CPAP
First Post - Can't stay asleep with CPAP
Hi everyone, 

I was recently diagnosed with SA, with an untreated AHI of 26.2. I use an F20 full face mask and have been on CPAP therapy for 4 weeks. My doc started me out at the default 4-20 pressure which did not stop my obstructive apneas, so I have raised the pressure to a point that corrects most (sometimes all) of them. 

I've fixed issues with leaks and rainout as far as I can tell but am still having trouble staying asleep and mostly feel like a drunk zombie the following day. I had my best night - which I unfortunately don't have the data for - a few nights ago. Pressure was 10-14 with an AHI of 1.3 and no obstructive apneas. I woke up *only* 3 times that night but it was one of the best nights of sleep I've ever had. Then the next night was one of the worst with the same settings and plenty of obstructive apneas.

I finally got an SD card and have posted last night's charts. I looked at the charts myself but am not as well versed as some of you, so if anyone could help I'd greatly appreciate it.

Thanks for reading!

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: First Post - Can't stay asleep with CPAP
I'd try EPR, full time, 3 might be best. EPR is Exhale Pressure Relief, meaning the number of 1, 2, or 3 is the actual cmH2O pressure it drops on exhale.

You may have to try each of the 3 pressure settings in EPR, and it may mean changing your therapy pressure as well to match effectiveness. You'll very likely gain a better feeling therapy from this.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks for the response. I was initially told to keep EPR off as it may increase central apneas, which I seem to be having regardless. 

It's not necessarily a comfort thing, I don't have much issue falling asleep. I just wake up every 1-2 hours and it's getting exhausting. 

I'll try an EPR of 3 tonight and see what happens. 

Any idea what's causing the central apneas and hypopneas?
Post Reply Post Reply
Hypopnea can sometimes be Central based, however they will be Obstructive based in most. Hypopnea can be thought of as a half restricted Apnea, and if obstructive based, needs more pressure.

There's another aspect for some, positional apnea. Here in the context of this board, positional isn't meaning back or side sleeping, but a sleep position where your chin tucks in towards your chest and kinks the airway, very much like your garden hose. Positional Apnea needs a physical item called the soft cervical collar, like for neck injuries but not to prevent all movement.

Central Apnea is a pause in breathing over 10 seconds. Some that use a CPAP now have more carbon dioxide exhaled than they're used to, and this will cause a breath pause (central). Others like myself have centrals that were present before CPAP, which requires a more expensive machine. You're far more likely to be in category 1, where the CPAP or positional apnea have increased sleep breath pauses.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thank you for all of this. I'm a back sleeper and am most likely positioning my head and neck in such a way that causes obstructive apneas.

I set my machine to an EPR of 3 last night and I'm not sure what to make of the data. The first 2.5 hours felt like very deep sleep with a minimal AHI. Then I had trouble falling asleep and staying asleep after that. Both central and obstructive apneas increased after that and I'm not sure why.

Again, I appreciate the help. I'm very tired this morning and am trying to leave out information that isn't helpful.

Post Reply Post Reply
OK, despite lack of notable improvement, which was more comfortable? Not trying to give a doctor whitewash, with AHI under 5 which you're getting, the goals you're likely going to want will be to maximize comfort, be able to sleep and gaining rest, possible minimizing sleep disruptions and CPAP interruptions.

You've already got the AHI of less than 5, so one part is obtained. Now it's just tuning it to get the rest.

It's your therapy, so like I said above, are we headed to being more comfortable when EPR is added? You decide, so there's no wrong answer. Best for you settings will maximize comfort and keep therapy working.

I think the Central component will diminish with more time. You're at 4 weeks I think.
Post Reply Post Reply
I appreciate the advice! 

There's a marginal improvement in comfort with EPR. I could wear the mask all day if needed and not be too bothered by it. The most frustrating thing about this is a lack of consistency with results. I'm sure there's a reason for all of it but I don't understand why I'd have relatively zero events through a couple sleep cycles, then multiple events through the rest of the night. 

I can try the same settings again tonight and see if anything improves. I may later raise the minimum and maximum pressure a single degree to see if obstructive apneas improve. 

Also, any idea with leaks? It may be due to me adjusting the mask but I'm not sure.
Post Reply Post Reply
On leaks, it's possibly as you say, adjustment movement stuff. Basing off this most recent chart it has several sharp quick spikes. To me, this points to mask movement as possible. Leak numbers overall really good though. Address as you see fit, but don't sweat over this too much.
Post Reply Post Reply
Some leaks are definitely from mask movement. I woke up last night on my side with a mask leak. A little better than the night before though. I was exhausted and fell back asleep without reconnecting the hose after 1am HA

Some RERAs here and there but getting better. Still can't seem to stay asleep - hopefully that improves.

Post Reply Post Reply
It doesn't look terrible on the chart, probably a time issue getting used to CPAP thing.

The cluster of CA around 2:45 was likely SWJ, meaning sleep wake junk. SWJ is caused by alternating between sleep and wake, confusing the breathing control systems. Remove that are of CA and is not a bad look.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Help with adjustments post open heart valve replacement SistineKid 2 114 04-20-2024, 03:30 PM
Last Post: SistineKid
  [CPAP] Only sleeping 3 hours a night with CPAP, almost fell asleep at wheel biboombap 11 280 04-19-2024, 10:25 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  First post - First week of CPAP R1c4ard06 3 137 04-16-2024, 04:03 PM
Last Post: R1c4ard06
  [CPAP] Trouble staying asleep with CPAP sarahsleeps 46 2,247 04-12-2024, 11:56 AM
Last Post: Jay51
  Improvement after adjustments - still can't stay asleep DKane 0 107 04-12-2024, 09:55 AM
Last Post: DKane
  Predicting overnight minimum SP02 before falling asleep dfunk 0 130 04-02-2024, 01:24 PM
Last Post: dfunk
Question [Diagnosis] First post-CPAP visit to Sleep Doc - What to talk about? FlyAU98 7 374 03-30-2024, 05:58 PM
Last Post: FlyAU98

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.