Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[CPAP] Full Mask ResMed F10 Not Working
Full Mask ResMed F10 Not Working
Cards on the table: I'm a mouth-breather. I've done everything I can think of to stop that practice, and nothing works. The last thing is a chin strap and medical tape (to tape my lips shut). Tape works to some extent, but many times it doesn't hold. So, in trying to live with this problem, I can see that the full mask I use (the ResMed F10) is not as good as the nasal pillow (Aloha ALO100). See the attached pictures for proof. I included my O2 export also. The 1st set 11/27 is using the nasal pillow, the other 2 are the full mask. I was using the full mask because I got sick with stuffy and runny nose. 11/28 is the mask without chinstrap and tape, and 11/29 is with chinstrap and tape.

Well, apparently I can't add more than 4 attachments, so here they are. My point is that I can't keep my mouth closed while asleep, and the full mask simply doesn't work when mouth breathing. I cannot adjust the pressure, as the provider has locked it. My only recourse is to go back to the nasal pillow (with the chinstrap and tape).
The last 2 pics: https://imgur.com/a/PItnX
Does anyone have any suggestions for me about using the full mask?
Dont-know
sm
There is no one more concerned about your health than you.
 Banana
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Full Mask ResMed F10 Not Working
What I see is a lot of leaks with the full face mask. But more important I see a lot of clear airway events that isn't caused by a mask.

You said you were sick when you started using the full face mask and I'm guessing you took medication for it. A lot of medications can trigger clear airway events and just being sick also can cause more events.

I'd wait until you get better to see if the FFM works before tossing the full face mask.
Download SleepyHead
Organize your Sleepyhead Charts
Posting Charts
Beginner's Guide to SleepyHead
Mask Primer
Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies.

Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.

Post Reply Post Reply
I use the F10 and have leak problems if I don't use a soft cervical collar.Without the collar my jaw will often drop enough that my lip is at the lower seal. The soft cervical collar prevents that and is quite comfortable. The OTC collar available fro Amazon for around $10 has a good selection of sizes.
Download OSCAR

Organize Charts
Attaching Charts

Mask Primer
Soft Cervical Collar

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.

Post Reply Post Reply
(11-30-2017, 07:43 AM)Walla Walla Wrote: What I see is a lot of leaks with the full face mask. But more important I see a lot of clear airway events that isn't caused by a mask.

You said you were sick when you started using the full face mask and I'm guessing you took medication for it. A lot of medications can trigger clear airway events and just being sick also can cause more events.

I'd wait until you get better to see if the FFM works before tossing the full face mask.

I don't know what you mean by "clear airway event." I don't see that anywhere. Are you talking about OA?

It is true that I am taking the antihistamine fexofenadine HCL, but I don't believe that is the cause of elevated AHI, because it happened before exactly the same when I tried the FFM. The problem is that even with a chin strap, my jaw falls back and down when relaxed during sleep. The mask will possibly leak then, although the data doesn't show large leaks. This happens almost no matter how tight I adjust the mask, even to being very uncomfortable. I simply do better with my mouth taped shut no matter what mask I am using, so I think it has to do with mouth breathing. I have a theory that the pressure will need to be adjusted significantly for the FFM because when my mouth is open, the pressure puffs out my cheeks, and I think that is dampening the pressure designed to open my throat, which is possibly the cause of increased OA events. It appears I do better overall with the nasal pillow, so I'm going back to that.
sm
There is no one more concerned about your health than you.
 Banana
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  ResMed mask settings - what changes in each type? skypony 10 16,947 8 hours ago
Last Post: DaveL
Angry Waking Up with CPAP, Not Getting Full Nights Rest. What Settings to Change? xgrea40 3 324 04-01-2024, 11:40 AM
Last Post: jcp519
  nore cpap is working, again ? Jst617 5 190 03-31-2024, 07:10 PM
Last Post: OpalRose
  New Machine and settings not working snapperzz 3 149 03-26-2024, 02:10 AM
Last Post: snapperzz
  Full Face Mask Recommendations for Minimal Bounce with Pressure Support Unkikonki 15 661 03-14-2024, 03:00 PM
Last Post: RLRoth
  Is my Philips Remstar Pro System One working? alanbc 11 477 03-13-2024, 11:41 AM
Last Post: alanbc
  25 years of cpap, and still not working good Johan van der veen 2 229 03-08-2024, 10:15 AM
Last Post: Johan van der veen

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.