Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[CPAP] Good AHI with CPAP - is an oxygen tracker worth it?
RE: Good AHI with CPAP - is an oxygen tracker worth it?
While I just ordered the Contec CMS 50F, I have significant concerns about its precision/accuracy and its test/retest reliability. Has anyone who has one been able to wear it at the same time an "official" sleep study has been done to shed some light on this?

In doing some preliminary research on things I found these PubMed articles which support being concerned about an $80 device perhaps being not much more than a toy, and if it gives false positives and false negatives this could lead too poor decision making by users. I plan to proceed with caution taking the results with a grain of salt. I'd say one of my larger concerns is that if a $1,000 device presumed accurate would say give a reading of 87 and say the Contec gives a reading of 85 ... at another part of the night or on a different night would the Contec again read 85? Having a consistent (proportional) error (consistently over or under) over would have some usefulness as one could at least see if there is a trend in your data. Unfortunately I expect that the likely error direction and magnitude is somewhat random.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/27089002

While the above article summary is somewhat encouraging: "Two of the pulse oximeters tested (Contec CMS50DL and Beijing Choice C20) demonstrated ARMS of <3% at SaO2 between 70% and 100%, thereby meeting International Organization for Standardization (ISO) criteria for accuracy." I don't know whether they tested multiple devices from the same Mfg,. and whether all of them were similarly accurate. given at that this price point that quality control is probably not great, caution is still warranted regarding the data.

This 2nd article summary looked at accuracy of devices (and I believe that all of those tested were >$800 in cost) and their accuracy was impaired (>3%) if the device was moving during measurement. If one is a restless sleeper this should be taken into consideration in reviewing data.
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/29200008

If you read some of the more technical article summaries noted in right column for each of the above I realized that measuring things ain't that easy.

NOTE I am not a doctor, or a researcher and while I believe I have conveyed some of the key info in the above summaries, you need to read and decide for yourself (especially since the accuracy of data might impact your health or actual life expectancy).

There is a product review in the review forum of someone who got the Resmed oximeter. Perhaps if they read this and are willing to have someone loan them their Contec CMS 50F we might get our own internal test data by one person checking one Contec for accuracy.

Eager to hear what others on the forum have discovered and researched.
Post Reply Post Reply
(02-19-2020, 07:20 PM)bonjour Wrote: From the oximeter import wizard in OSCAR
OSCAR gives you the ability to track Oximetry data alongside CPAP session data, which can give valuable insight into the effectiveness of CPAP treatment. It will also work standalone with your Pulse Oximeter, allowing you to store, track and review your recorded data.
OSCAR is currently compatible with Contec CMS50D+, CMS50E, CMS50F and CMS50I serial oximeters.
(Note: Direct importing from bluetooth models is probably not possible yet)
You may wish to note, other companies, such as Pulox, simply rebadge Contec CMS50's under new names, such as the Pulox PO-200, PO-300, PO-400. These should also work.
It also can read from ChoiceMMed MD300W1 oximeter .dat files.

I bought the cmsf50. It’ll be here Monday I hope.  I hope I can set it all up.  I want it to match oscars data.   Do I have to turn my cpap on at the same time as the cmsf50? I might have questions when it gets here.  Hope you don’t mind.  Thank you.  Doug.
Post Reply Post Reply
You can have the cms 50f on and turn it to record when you turn on the Cpap. Only thing don’t use it to long before going to bed, the battery has to last as long as you are going to sleep.
Apnea (80-100%) 10 seconds, Hypopnea (50-80%) 10 seconds, Flow Limits (0-50%) not timed  Cervical Collar - Dealing w DME - Chart Organizing
Post Reply Post Reply
(09-12-2020, 04:25 PM)staceyburke Wrote: You can have the cms 50f on and turn it to record when you turn on the Cpap. Only thing don’t use it to long before going to bed, the battery has to last as long as you are going to sleep.

I sleep 10.  I thought I read the batteries last 8 hours? I hope it lasts longer than that.
Post Reply Post Reply
I can’t tell you longest I have slept was about 8.5 hours wit it.
Apnea (80-100%) 10 seconds, Hypopnea (50-80%) 10 seconds, Flow Limits (0-50%) not timed  Cervical Collar - Dealing w DME - Chart Organizing
Post Reply Post Reply
(09-12-2020, 04:52 PM)staceyburke Wrote: I can’t tell you longest I have slept was about 8.5 hours wit it.

I googled it. Says 24 hour battery.  Should be good.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Idea [CPAP] New to CPAP, Good So Far! TWINDAWN 2 72 Yesterday, 04:30 AM
Last Post: UnicornRider
  Need help to find a good Luna G3 pressure. johnathanb76 13 204 03-22-2024, 11:06 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Good AHI but Low Tidal Volume and Minute Ventilation erolalper 1 148 03-15-2024, 07:57 AM
Last Post: BoxcarPete
  Is a travel CPAP machine worth it? BobbieM 21 5,736 03-14-2024, 01:55 PM
Last Post: tommystix
  25 years of cpap, and still not working good Johan van der veen 2 178 03-08-2024, 10:15 AM
Last Post: Johan van der veen
  Oxygen levels below 90% for 7% of night and below 94% for 34% inspite of Bipap bhavintu79 14 679 03-08-2024, 05:06 AM
Last Post: UnicornRider
  Is the AirMini worth it vs. AirSense 11 labrat 10 920 02-22-2024, 05:49 PM
Last Post: Jogreentree

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.