Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[CPAP] How am I doing? New here
How am I doing? New here
Hi everyone! I've been lurking on here for about a month now. I've learned so much! Just wanted to say thank you! 
I've been on CPAP therapy for roughly days. 

My sleep study results are

27.1 AHI
3 mixed apnea
86 on oxygen
192 total events

Today I decided to take a peak at the OSCAR reading. I think I finally figured out how tight my mask needs to be (F30i). I've had surgery in my jaw last year where both my corronoid processes were removed due to being extremely elongated. Still swollen around the temples so I'm limited on mask types, specifically something that is minimal feels to work best.

I do have a deviated septum and have been waking up with extreme dry mouth. I've noticed my jaw tends to relax during the night.

That's my back story! Here's a snippet this week. It's been extremely stressful at work and not sure if that may have something to do with the high AHI?

Anything I should be concerned with or possibly change as far as settings are concerned? One last thing, I purchased a mask liner and that may have attributed to the large leaks. Ripped it off and leaks look better.

Thurs

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: How am I doing? New here
Have you tried EPR (exhale relief pressure)?  You have very high flow limits and can be helped with EPR. FLOW LIMITS are just smaller apnea (see how they classify apnea at the bottom of the post). They can cause loss of sleep and restless sleeping. 

You can set it from 1 to 3. If you have not tried I would suggest setting it to 2 and go up to 3 when you see the effects.
Apnea (80-100%) 10 seconds, Hypopnea (50-80%) 10 seconds, Flow Limits (0-50%) not timed  Cervical Collar - Dealing w DME - Chart Organizing
Post Reply Post Reply
We are going to make your sleep much better and reduce your events a bunch. All of those RERA and hypopnea originate with flow limitation. You can look for the wiki article with that title to understand it, but it is airway resistance that limits the peak respiratory flow when you inhale. Zoom in on your flow rate chart and you will see the waves have flat tops. The fix is to use your exhale pressure relief (EPR). Just turn it on, Full Time at a setting of 3 and most of that crap is going to go away. Your flow limitations are very high, but EPR is a good way to improve it. http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...limitation

Your charts on the 23rd and 24th both feature clusters of obstructive apnea. We can solve that without increasing your maximum pressure. That is caused by you tucking your chin, and might be the result of a pillow being too high, firm or even if you sleep on your side and tuck your chin causing the airway to be blocked. Two wikis for you to read:
Positional Apnea: http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...onal_Apnea
Soft Cervical Collar: http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...cal_Collar
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(02-27-2021, 02:04 PM)staceyburke Wrote: Have you tried EPR (exhale relief pressure)?  You have very high flow limits and can be helped with EPR. FLOW LIMITS are just smaller apnea (see how they classify apnea at the bottom of the post). They can cause loss of sleep and restless sleeping. 

You can set it from 1 to 3. If you have not tried I would suggest setting it to 2 and go up to 3 when you see the effects.
I haven't tried EPR yet, but I've done extensive research on the benefits though. I will definitely give it a try tonight! Thank you!
(02-27-2021, 02:05 PM)Sleeprider Wrote: We are going to make your sleep much better and reduce your events a bunch. All of those RERA and hypopnea originate with flow limitation.  You can look for the wiki article with that title to understand it, but it is airway resistance that limits the peak respiratory flow when you inhale.  Zoom in on your flow rate chart and you will see the waves have flat tops.  The fix is to use your exhale pressure relief (EPR).  Just turn it on, Full Time at a setting of 3 and most of that crap is going to go away. Your flow limitations are very high, but EPR is a good way to improve it. 

Your charts on the 23rd and 24th both feature clusters of obstructive apnea. We can solve that without increasing your maximum pressure. That is caused by you tucking your chin, and might be the result of a pillow being too high, firm or even if you sleep on your side and tuck your chin causing the airway to be blocked.  Two wikis for you to read:
Positional Apnea: 
Soft Cervical Collar:

I'm currently using one of those foam cervical neck pillows which may explain it. Due to my surgery, I'm only limited to sleeping on my back for now.  I will definitely look into a Soft Cervical Collar. Thank you!
Post Reply Post Reply
Slept good last night or I think I did. Working on getting my 4 posts up so I can imbed last nights graph.

Post Reply Post Reply
Used a different pillow and EPR suggestions. I tried changing between EPR 2 and 3. I prefer 2

Link to last night's OSCAR. How's the flow rate looking?

https://www.amazon.com/photos/shared/xDs...DPPR_htQeb
Post Reply Post Reply
I really could not see the picture well enough to see much. If you use the F12 button on OSCAR it will format the screenshot and make it much more readable
Apnea (80-100%) 10 seconds, Hypopnea (50-80%) 10 seconds, Flow Limits (0-50%) not timed  Cervical Collar - Dealing w DME - Chart Organizing
Post Reply Post Reply
(02-28-2021, 04:17 PM)staceyburke Wrote: I really could not see the picture well enough to see much. If you use the F12 button on OSCAR it will format the screenshot and make it much more readable

Doh! I appreciate the tip! Let me re-try.

Attached.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
You have 3 things that could be better. 1st - you have some large leaks that caused problems. There is a mask primer on the site you could read and another place is YouTube. Search for the exact mask you use and watch a couple, they may give you some ideas on how to limit leaks. 

2nd- you max out your upper pressure of 14, I would raise it by one. 

3rd - you did not handle the EPR as well as I hoped. You had some periodic breathing so until you get use to the therapy make EPR 1.

Now normally I don’t like to make more than one change at a time so you can see what helps and what does not. 

Back to the large leaks they really need to be fixed. Any time you have a flagged large leak you therapy is just not happening.
Post Reply Post Reply
(02-28-2021, 05:27 PM)staceyburke Wrote: You have 3 things that could be better. 1st - you have some large leaks that caused problems. There is a mask primer on the site you could read and another place is YouTube. Search for the exact mask you use and watch a couple, they may give you some ideas on how to limit leaks. 

2nd- you max out your upper pressure of 14, I would raise it by one. 

3rd - you did not handle the EPR as well as I hoped. You had some periodic breathing so until you get use to the therapy make EPR 1.

Now normally I don’t like to make more than one change at a time so you can see what helps and what does not. 

Back to the large leaks they really need to be fixed. Any time you have a flagged large leak you therapy is just not happening.

Thank you very much for the insight! I will adjust and report back.
Post Reply Post Reply

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.