Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[CPAP] I need to choose my CPAP! help!!
I need to choose my CPAP! help!!
Hi everyone!

Sorry for my English, french is my main language and i'm not too familiar with all the apnea term. 
I have been diagnosed severe apnea, i'm 30 years old and i stop breathing 84 time per hours. And my machine is set for an auto pressure of 10-15. 
I went to a place to buy a cpap machine and and they are giving me a choice between the Dreamstation Auto (DSx500) & the Airsense 10 Autoset

I haven't tried the Resmed but i have been using the Dreamstation for almost 2 weeks now.
I am also using the Resmed N30i and P30i mask which i absolutely love. 
It's pretty silent, i don't have any complain at all. my AHI is currently at 4.4 after 2 weeks of use. 

The lady at the store told me that she prefer the Airsense 10 Autoset over the Dreamstation Auto but i got no clue what are the differences between both and if one is considered better than the other.

I'm sorry if these kind of topic are made all the time. 
Im new to this and i would really like to get the best machine available for me since she's selling me both for the same price.

Any advice will be more than welcome.
Thanks for the help. 
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: I need to choose my CPAP! help!!
Hi Rocktaze,
Welcome to Apnea Board!

I have used a Respironics machine for over 5 years and it's served me well, but I am up for a newer machine now and from everything I've learned here, I would choose a ResMed.

The DreamStation is a very good machine and with some tweaking, you may get a little better result, but the ResMed AirSense 10 AutoSet is more responsive to apnea events, and it offers EPR (expiratory pressure relief) which works similar to a bilevel.  

See the link in my signature line on "Machine Choices."
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi Opal, would posting my OSCAR result give any additional information to help me choose the best CPAP for me?
I appreciate your answer and i'm definitly looking foward to buy the best machine to treat my apnea.
Hopefully i can get some more answer from user who have experience with both machine.
Post Reply Post Reply
First the DreamStations are excellent machines.

A posting from OSCAR will help determine is a higher level machine is better suited for your apnea by mostly letting us know what the breakdown of your apnea is.
Also a good idea to post redacted copies of your sleep studies, FULL copies including the arts and charts.

ResMed AutoSet hands down.
Why ResMed?

1. Faster algorithmic response to events than PR.

2. Lower average pressure

3. Better to avoid Aerophagia.

4. EPR provides for better treatment of hypopneas, RERAs, Flow Limits, UARS, and snores

5. EPR acts like a BiLevel up to a limit of 3cmw and a max pressure of 20 cmw

6. EPR follows your breathing whereas Flex predicts it with a feeling of fighting to get a breath when it predicts incorrectly

7. More flexibility in treating a greater variety of Apneas and respiratory events.

8. In general provides better therapy.
Post Reply Post Reply
It looks like i can't post picture before i have 4 post ... that's not practical ... Tongue
Post Reply Post Reply
Attach it. You can't link it.
Post Reply Post Reply
Here is my worst night so far.

4th of Janunary

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
Here is my best night so far

30th of december.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
Charts confirm my choice of ResMed AutoSet because of the prevalence of Flow Limitations and RERAs. RERAs are a series of Flow Limitations that end in arousal.

Basicly the ResMed will let us use EPR as Pressure Support to treat Flow Limits and RERAs (up to 3cmw) and the Respironics will require you to go to a BiLevel vs an APAP.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi Rocktaze and welcome to the Apnea Board. You've got great advice from bonjour on choosing the ResMed AutoSet. Best to your success.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [Equipment] Which ResMed to choose? Morseman 2 539 05-14-2023, 08:22 AM
Last Post: Morseman
  Did I choose the wrong machine? AaronB123 0 518 01-07-2023, 06:14 PM
Last Post: AaronB123
Question How to choose new DME MagnoliaSolana 4 851 12-02-2021, 05:38 PM
Last Post: MagnoliaSolana
  Would You Choose a New ResMed 11 Series as a Replacement? - Poll RayBee 11 4,106 05-31-2021, 09:23 PM
Last Post: Crimson Nape
  If You Choose To Use Bottled Water In Your Humidifier khw210 12 2,452 02-14-2021, 10:24 PM
Last Post: DaveL
Question [Equipment] Which ASV machine to choose dilemna dangood_47 12 3,369 10-18-2017, 10:33 AM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  need to choose an APAP ASAP. PR One 60 vs Airsense 10? OperaSinger 18 9,688 08-26-2017, 10:37 PM
Last Post: SideSleeper

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.