Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[CPAP] Leak rate ok?
Leak rate ok?
Hi everyone.  I'm not sure if I should be creating a new thread, but here goes, so please don't blast me if I shouldn't have.  I had one on Pressures, but it's getting kind of old and far down the list.  
     Anyway, the great people on here helped me before and I'm hoping they can do it again.  I was playing with the AutoPap pressures, and other settings for about a month, and got kind of frustrated with it being such a wide range of AHIs night to night.  I said to myself, forget this I'm going full blown CPAP with the pressure set at 15 with Cflex at x2, cause if that doesn't work I may need BIPap right?  I also got the Dreamware nasal mask (which i'm totally in love with).  My AHI/events has gone down significantly and has stayed below 1 for the past week, with one night slightly over 1, which is great.  I feel good and not as sleepy during the day, with the only symptom a SLIGHT headache in the front of my head, but nothing major with it.  (Decrease the pressure maybe?)  My question is about leaks.  I've read the Wiki part on leaks and my head nearly exploded.  It's all so much to take in sometimes, and don't know how you guys understand it all.  
       I'm attaching a few of the most recent nights.  Could somebody tell me if my leaks are ok, cause if I gotta give up this Dreamware nasal I'm gonna cry.  Although I can get the Dreamware full face.  I do use a cervical collar for mouth leaks.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Leak rate ok?
Changing to Cpap mode of 15 seems to have been a good decision. You still have some RERAs, but as long as you are sleeping well and your not waking up or have disrupted sleep, then I would just keep watch on it.

Glad your mask is working out for you.

Your leak rate is fine, nothing to worry about. Remember that the Respironics machines report Total Leak Rates which includes the intentional leak rate for your mask.
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Another amazing person has come to help out!!!  OpalRose, everytime i read a reply to one of my posts, i actually well up with tears from the help you amazing people have given to me!!!  I only wish I can reach the level of knowledge you all have, so I can maybe begin to help others.  THANK YOU!!!!
    So your telling me I don't have to give up the Dreamware nasal?  Woo Hoo!!!   LOL.  Thanks for clarifying my leak rate is ok.  The RERAs I'm not so concerned about.  They are way less than what they used to be, and I don't wake up through the night. 
    One more question.  What do you think about the headache?  Could it be the pressure is a little too high?  Maybe try 14 or 13 and see if it goes away?  Obviously, it my events go back up, I'll change it back to 15 and just deal with the headaches.  They aren't bad.  More "annoying".
    I hope you are having a wonderful week!!!!

Brian
Post Reply Post Reply
Bweekzzz, if you look at the leak chart your will see two lines. The lower one is near zero nearly all the time, and this is your "excess leak". We would not consider that to be a significant leak until your excess leak is above 24 cm for extended periods of time, so your results are excellent. The upper line is the total leak, including the intentional venting. On your charts, that is usually at 24-26 cm and you can see some minor peaks where there are very insignificant leaks occurring.

Overall, your results are among the best I have seen on a Philips Auto, mainly because you are using it as a fixed CPAP and have optimized the pressure. Well done!
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-10-2019, 12:33 PM)Bweekzzz Wrote: Another amazing person has come to help out!!!  OpalRose, everytime i read a reply to one of my posts, i actually well up with tears from the help you amazing people have given to me!!!  I only wish I can reach the level of knowledge you all have, so I can maybe begin to help others.  THANK YOU!!!!
    So your telling me I don't have to give up the Dreamware nasal?  Woo Hoo!!!   LOL.  Thanks for clarifying my leak rate is ok.  The RERAs I'm not so concerned about.  They are way less than what they used to be, and I don't wake up through the night. 
    One more question.  What do you think about the headache?  Could it be the pressure is a little too high?  Maybe try 14 or 13 and see if it goes away?  Obviously, it my events go back up, I'll change it back to 15 and just deal with the headaches.  They aren't bad.  More "annoying".
    I hope you are having a wonderful week!!!!

Brian

Is the headache continuous or does it go away when you wake? It could be the high pressure, or your just not used to it.

If you want to lessen the pressure, do it slowly....try 14.5 for a few days, watch and compare your numbers. If all looks ok, then try 14....

If you start to see your AHI creeping up, then don’t lower it any further. You will soon learn where your “sweet spot” or pressure should be.

How you feel is more important, and as SleepRider said, those are good numbers.
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Good morning Sleeprider.  Thanks for that explanation of the leaks.  I think I was getting it backwards somehow and thinking the top line was the more "important" one and thinking, "Jeez, look at all those leaks."
       Last night was another great night.  AHI below 1 and Almost no RERA's to write home about.  I lowered the pressure to 14.5 because I've been having headaces in the front of my head that, aren't real bad, but linger for most of the day.  No headache today.  Woo Hoo!!  LOL
         I do have just two more questions though, and I'll post a couple/few charts to show you.  Throughout the night my breathing is what I like to call "erratic".  There are no events associated with them, but you can see that my breathing isn't normal.  They happen throughout most of the night, and I'm wondering if they are just movement associated.  The other question is my Insp. time and Exp time.  I've always understood Exp time to supposed to be longer than Insp time to blow off Co2.  Mine is reversed though.  Look into getting a true Bipap?  I know the System one has a pseudo Bipap mode with it's Flex settings.  Is it anything to worry about? I should mention I am a longtime smoker.  Shhh.  Don't tell the others.  LOL   (that's the next thing to take care of) and probably have some COPD. 
         Again, thanks for all your help.  I feel like I'm finally getting the hang of things.  At least I think I am.  LOL.  Hope you are having a great day!!!

Brian
Post Reply Post Reply
Good morning OpalRose.  Last night was another great night.  I did lower the CPAP pressure to 14.5 and no headache this morning.  AHI still under one, and I actually feel a little bit better today.  
        One more totally unrelated question to my settings and stuff.  If I wanted to donate to the board, how much would be a good donation?  I know your gonna say, "Any amount will help out", but would really like to make an impact to keeping this board alive.  I said it a hundred times and I'll say it again, you guys on this board are nothing short of amazing for all the help you give and the patience you have with all us "newbies"!!!!
         Hope you are having a wonderful day!!  Thank You!!!

Brian
Post Reply Post Reply
G'day Bweekzzz.

Those little transient events aren't worth worrying about. In most cases they only last a few seconds and are just some random disturbance - maybe coughing or clearing your throat, moving around in bed - something like that.
Post Reply Post Reply
Bweekzzz Wrote:One more totally unrelated question to my settings and stuff. If I wanted to donate to the board, how much would be a good donation? I know your gonna say, "Any amount will help out", but would really like to make an impact to keeping this board alive.

This is a really hard one to answer, so I'll say "give what you can". The forum is funded by member donations, a minimal amount from advertising and an unknown (but likely large) amount from SuperSleeper's own funds. He's the only one who really knows what it all costs but I'm sure it's a fair bit.
Post Reply Post Reply
Morning DeepBreathing.  First thing i thougt was, He’s from Australia, then i look at your info and bingo.  In that case G’day DeepBreathing.  Hope you having an awesome day down under.  One of my dream places to go since i was a little kid.  Your so far though.  LOL.
     Thats what i thought with that.  I wont worry about them then.  My numbers and events have been so good the last week, after over a month trying to get things right, that some “erratic” breathing isn’t going to worry me then.  Is it always like this in the beginning?  Being obsessed with everything?  LOL.  
      When i get a chance tomorrow, i’ll make a donation, and hopefully it makes a dent in any costs for this amazing board.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Flow rate kink at end of exhalation ahuman 0 23 2 hours ago
Last Post: ahuman
  Mouth leak with new machine LaraM 0 31 6 hours ago
Last Post: LaraM
  Airsense 10 - AHI account for leak rate? FriedRice 9 238 Yesterday, 06:16 AM
Last Post: FriedRice
  AirSense 10 leak rate baseline issue Phil7 6 1,410 03-25-2024, 05:49 AM
Last Post: FriedRice
  Taking Xyrem: what are these respiratory rate spikes DebJ 3 116 03-24-2024, 01:56 PM
Last Post: DebJ
  Rate my Resmed 10 VAuto deal from FB GrandCentral 18 857 03-23-2024, 12:38 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  OSCAR flow rate assessment -- mouth leaks, palatal prolapse? manders513 9 230 03-22-2024, 06:16 PM
Last Post: BigWing

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.