Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[CPAP] Leak rate ok?
RE: Leak rate ok?
I think the "erratic breathing" pattern has been covered. Suffice to say this is normal and usually results from the sleeper changing positions, and can also occur during sleep stage transitions. These are not disruptive, and certainly have no potential for reducing oxygen.

The question on inspiration/expiration times is excellent. For years I thought, Respironics had really messed up in its Flex algorithm to have resulted in such an abnormal I:E ratio. Many members using Respironics machines display this clearly erroneous characteristic. The problem actually lies in OSCAR, and in Sleepyhead before. The program code that records I and E time was simply incorrect, and starts recording inspiration as the flow rate crosses zero. This is being corrected in the next version of OSCAR to allow expiration to continue until a positive flow greater than +2 mL/second is recorded. You can see on your charts, your flow returns rather abruptly to zero, and even looks positive well before inspiration begins. Your inspiration time should not begin until the sharply positive flow begins, and inspiration properly ends as flow crosses zero. The problem is that the program needs to be re-calibrated not to cut off expiration time prematurely. We theorize that the error is caused by Respironics machines having Flex return to CPAP pressure ahead of inspiration, rather than pressure following inspiration, as is the case with Resmed machines. Your respiration is normal, and the next version of OSCAR will either reflect the correct I:E times or will not report them at all for Respironics machines. This programming work was really only investigated and resolved in the past week or two.

[Image: attachment.php?aid=13539]
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Leak rate ok?
(07-11-2019, 09:33 AM)Bweekzzz Wrote: Good morning OpalRose.  Last night was another great night.  I did lower the CPAP pressure to 14.5 and no headache this morning.  AHI still under one, and I actually feel a little bit better today.  
        One more totally unrelated question to my settings and stuff.  If I wanted to donate to the board, how much would be a good donation?  I know your gonna say, "Any amount will help out", but would really like to make an impact to keeping this board alive.  I said it a hundred times and I'll say it again, you guys on this board are nothing short of amazing for all the help you give and the patience you have with all us "newbies"!!!!
         Hope you are having a wonderful day!!  Thank You!!!

Brian

If you are able to donate to Apnea Board, I have a feeling that SuperSleeper welcomes whatever is donated and that it is very much appreciated.

Glad you had a good night. I think most of us obsess over everything when we just start out, but in time, you will know what is normal for you. And I wouldn’t worry too much over the few episodes of erratic looking breathing. Some days, my charts look like that too. Smile

Have a good day and hope your headaches settle down for you. One thought....if you have untreated high blood pressure, that can cause headaches. See your doctor if they continue.
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Flow rate kink at end of exhalation ahuman 7 82 3 hours ago
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Mouth leak with new machine LaraM 0 34 Today, 06:41 AM
Last Post: LaraM
  Airsense 10 - AHI account for leak rate? FriedRice 9 242 Yesterday, 06:16 AM
Last Post: FriedRice
  AirSense 10 leak rate baseline issue Phil7 6 1,411 03-25-2024, 05:49 AM
Last Post: FriedRice
  Taking Xyrem: what are these respiratory rate spikes DebJ 3 117 03-24-2024, 01:56 PM
Last Post: DebJ
  Rate my Resmed 10 VAuto deal from FB GrandCentral 18 860 03-23-2024, 12:38 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  OSCAR flow rate assessment -- mouth leaks, palatal prolapse? manders513 9 230 03-22-2024, 06:16 PM
Last Post: BigWing

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.