Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[CPAP] Looking for advice
Looking for advice
I'm using an Air Med 10 Elite CPAP machine with full F20 face mask and have been doing so for a couple months. It's been a struggle to use, and I haven't got a very good 4+hours record. Skipping some days entirely due to hay fever symptoms and general lack of faith I guess, as I wake up so much more when using it. 

I have a bmi of around 23.5 according to the NHS website so i'm not overweight if that makes any difference.

I had a recorded OA of 66 seconds the other night, so just looking for advice really.

Regards,

AJ

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Looking for advice
Increase minimum pressure to 10.0 and keep the EPR set at 3. All events are obstructive, and you need higher pressure to resolve these events. If you were using an Autoset machine, it would do it automatically, but since NHS wants to save 20 pounds of cost, we have to do this manually.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks, I'll give this a try and see how it goes.
Post Reply Post Reply
I second what sleeprider said. Pressure is far too low. Up the minimum, the repost your results and we'll go from there. The good news is the route forward is simple!
Post Reply Post Reply
Sleeprider and Cpapfriend are right on the money, I'd like to add though that you have ramp set for 5 minutes at 4cm, this is worthless in regards to your therapy, could you try turning off ramp completely and see how you do?
Post Reply Post Reply
Thank you for the replies. I have increased the pressures but don't have a great deal of data to show for it it as haven't been able to use it that well. 

I struggle at times to breath out through my nose, there have been periods in the past whereby I literally couldn't use my nose at all while i've slept so had to resort to mouth breathing. I have had deviated septum surgery on my nose also, but these issues have both preceded and followed the surgery which was probably 4 or 5 years ago now. I have to wear the mask slightly up on my face too as if it pushes too much around my nose i struggle to breath through it.

As for the ramp up, it was set for 30 mins initially but I reduced that to 20 and recently decided because i keep waking up with a dry mouth and needing a drink, that I'd reduce it further to 5 so it spends less time ramping up, but it's just to give me a bit of a transitionary period really. 

Post Reply Post Reply
Things are improving with higher pressure. The fact you have very good therapy through the first part of the night, and increased flow limits and obstructive events after 3:00 AM leads me to suggest you look at positional issues. https://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.ph...onal_Apnea
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [Admin Note] Policy clarification [off-site advice & advice given via Private Message system] SuperSleeper 2 3,402 06-11-2024, 01:56 PM
Last Post: SuperSleeper
  Seeking advice OSA TheWishyOne 2 210 06-06-2024, 04:12 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  [Equipment] New to all this need advice JamesRyan 134 12,326 06-04-2024, 09:37 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  Help/advice with Astral 150 costaricaraftguide 1 201 06-02-2024, 03:30 PM
Last Post: Jay51
  New user looking for Advice NeedSleepnea 15 709 04-01-2024, 11:08 AM
Last Post: NeedSleepnea
  [Pressure] Looking for advice about ASV settings rosebladepat 7 413 03-15-2024, 07:12 PM
Last Post: rosebladepat
  [Treatment] Looking for Advice jlacassin 0 190 03-15-2024, 03:51 PM
Last Post: jlacassin

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.