Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

CPAP Machine Choices - read this before you accept a new machine
RE: CPAP Machine Choices - read this before you accept a new machine
I would either reformat or get a new SD card. I would not mix the two on the same card.
Post Reply Post Reply
OSCAR can retain the history of your Dreamstation and also has a Backup folder where data can always be restored. As soon as you put that card into a Resmed machine, it will be formatted in preparation for use with Resmed. It's better to have a new card, and have one for each machine. Once you start using the Resmed, OSCAR will import the data and should show the data under your current profile. We usually recommend creating a new profile, otherwise it will be hard to separate and compare the data. All you need is a distinct user name to create the new profile, no other information is needed.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks so much bonjour and Sleeprider. Will get a separate SD card as advised. Cheers!
Post Reply Post Reply
related questions (mods may prefer to move this?): my resmed 2gb sd card is reaching capacity with about 114mb remaining. I'm waiting for it to tell me that it's full but suspect it will just start overwriting older data, maintaining a small amount of available space.

is it better to:

keep using it, relying on oscar backups to retain older data?

copy/backup the card files somewhere & delete all data currently on the card?

save the physical card & get a new one?
Post Reply Post Reply
When capacity is about 75% the machine will start to over-write data. If you wait for the card to fill, that process will have already started. You can backup the card, or start a new one. I don't worry about it. With over 16K hours on my machine, the factory card keeps about 2-years of data and the older stuff has been over-written. I don't personally need more data than that, and OSCAR keeps the record from the first use without loss. It's up to you. At one time my Oscar_Data directory was 27 GB with over 37K files. It just became unmanageable and slow. I archived the old data, and keep things smaller now.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Attaching Files
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi, I'm new to the forum. I read through all of this thread, lots of helpful information. Sincere thanks to all who contribute to helping empower us patients.

My DME provided me a Philips-Respironics DreamStation Auto CPAP. To be honest, I'm a little confused about the arrangement but it appears I'm renting the machine. There's a sticker on it that says it's their property. I tried asking one of the customer service people about it and they seemed confused as well, could not give me a definitive answer. But it sounds like I have to rent the machine for a year before my insurance company will pay for it.

Anyway, because of this I'm thinking about just purchasing a machine of my own and based on some of the comments it seems like the Resmed line is somewhat preferred over the DreamStation line.

Is there much of a difference between the Airsense and Aircurve machines? My levels are fairly low (6-7) if that matters. I'm just wondering if there are any big functionality differences that could be helpful on one or the other.
Post Reply Post Reply
You probably would do just as well on either the AirSense 10 AutoSet or an Aircurve 10 VAuto.  The VAuto has a few more bells and whistles that help in fine tuning therapy, but is twice the cost.

I have used the 60 series Auto (predecessor to the DreamStation).  Also trialed the AirSense 10 AutoSet, but ended up with the VAuto.  My therapy numbers were about the same on all these machines.  It was a personal choice to get the VAuto.

If you are looking to buy without insurance help, check out the supplier list at top of page and compare.  Many here have had good luck with Supplier #2.  They sell low hour used equipment and also new open box units.  

If you have an SD card in your DreamStation, download OSCAR software, and post a screenshot of your data for a night or two. We can better advise from that information.

But please, start a new thread and keep all your therapy questions in that thread.
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
uguu, call your insurance company and ask if they require rental, or if they also approve purchase. Rental can be one way that suppliers inflate profits. Also, if you don't like this machine, ask for an exchange. Above all, feel free to start your own thread, and we can help you to optimize and make the most of your CPAP therapy.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Attaching Files
Mask Primer

Post Reply Post Reply
The wiki mentions ResMed AirSense 10.  I could not find ResMed AirCurve 10 ASV by any searches.  What is the difference? I am considering a new machine.
Post Reply Post Reply
The resmed line has a lot of different machines for different therapy.

Resmed airsense AUTO - this is a cpap machine that has EPR (exhale pressure relief) that makes it have bi-level capability between 1 and 3 cm pressure.  So If you had a min 8 and EPR 3 your exhale pressure would not be 8 it would be 5.  This helps with making it easier to breath out and help with flow limitations.  

Resmed Aircurve VAUTO  Can be used as a cpap just like the previous model but has a higher max pressure and uses PS (like EPR) that is varible from 1 to 25 in .2 steps.  Very good for flow limitations and upper airway problems. about 2X as expensive as the above.

Resmed aircurve ASV - special machine that treats Central apnea. The other 2 above will not stop Central apnea.  You should not get this unit unless you have uncontrolled central apnea. Much more expensive
Apnea (80-100%) 10 seconds, Hypopnea (50-80%) 10 seconds, Flow Limits (0-50%) not timed  Cervical Collar - Dealing w DME - Chart Organizing
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  drying out tubing with machine sleepingbetterinFl 4 242 04-20-2024, 05:08 PM
Last Post: Phaleronic
  New Machine Higher AHI Hauty 6 186 04-19-2024, 03:52 PM
Last Post: Hauty
Question A New Machine Issue and Another Thing! pamm777 6 341 04-18-2024, 02:40 PM
Last Post: pamm777
  [Equipment] Battery power source for ResMed machine MaskedOne 8 204 04-12-2024, 04:42 PM
Last Post: MaskedOne
  Do you stop your Airsense machine when you go to the bathroom during nighttime? dharma2255 10 351 04-12-2024, 10:23 AM
Last Post: dharma2255
  Cleaning the Airsense machine itself (not the mask, tube, chamber)? dharma2255 3 183 04-10-2024, 10:47 AM
Last Post: dharma2255
  Should I look for an ASV machine? Arik 3 190 04-07-2024, 10:36 AM
Last Post: Arik

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.