Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

It's been long enough.......
RE: It's been long enough.......
I believe that, for some of us, CPAP isn't the perfect solution. However, it is definitely the lesser of two evils when the drawbacks are set against the potential effects of untreated apnea.

In fact, I am a good example of this dilemma. I find that CPAP manages my apnea quite well and keeps my AHI consistently under the magic threshold, but doesn't provide restful, invigorating sleep. I suffer chronic fatigue and what appears to be the classic symptoms of sleep deprivation.

But I know for a fact that the alternative in my case is worse. Years of untreated apnea led to a heart attack in 2008, as is often foreshadowed by sleep and cardiac doctors. I have never smoked. My weight was always in the healthy range and my diet pretty much as good as it could be. This leaves stress (my job) and apnea as the most likely causes. Now, 14 yrs post-heart attack and having made no other lifestyle changes besides treating my apnea, my cardiac disease has remained stable and the planned bypass operation postponed twice.

So here I am, disappointed that CPAP doesn't facilitate refreshing sleep but, on the other hand, still vertical and above ground. I'll take that.

As the saying goes, "Don't let the perfect get in the way of the good."
Post Reply Post Reply
I had moderate apnea. Since starting treatment a year ago I have felt much better rested. I can't describe it to you, but some pappers know the feeling. There are of course mornings I rolled onto my back, or ate something heavy right before bed that stirred up my apnea and the numbers certainly reflected it. 

I wear it because I know I'll get better sleep and it will also give me a longer life. Sleep deprivation can lead to a lot of health issues-----kind of a trickle down...one thing leads to another scenario.

I also wear a night guard for teeth grinding. That's another 'routine' that I have to do. Having that coupled with cpap and a cervical collar and eye mask to block light is a lot of gear...but I fall asleep within 4 minutes usually. 

I'm about to turn 57 this month  Coffee
Life is just beginning! I've got 16 year old twins( yeah I'm old for that I know----we started late on kids)

Wishing everyone a great weekend

Wish you'd stick around Big Guy----I've loved reading your posts on cpap upkeep  Eat-popcorn
CA and OA decided to call HYOP and the 3 of them crashed RERA's place, and then the 4 of them decided to call Large Leak to meet in an Unclassified location while Rice95 had the best night of his life.

Bed         best sleep I've ever had...
Post Reply Post Reply
My dad had terrible sleep apnea and it wasn't treated, although that was years ago before treatment was more common.  I suspect that it contributed to his dementia.  If you start to have trouble remembering your wife's name, it might be time to consider treatment again!
Post Reply Post Reply
(10-07-2022, 07:19 AM)Rice95 Wrote: I had moderate apnea. Since starting treatment a year ago I have felt much better rested. I can't describe it to you, but some pappers know the feeling. There are of course mornings I rolled onto my back, or ate something heavy right before bed that stirred up my apnea and the numbers certainly reflected it. 

I wear it because I know I'll get better sleep and it will also give me a longer life. Sleep deprivation can lead to a lot of health issues-----kind of a trickle down...one thing leads to another scenario.

I also wear a night guard for teeth grinding. That's another 'routine' that I have to do. Having that coupled with cpap and a cervical collar and eye mask to block light is a lot of gear...but I fall asleep within 4 minutes usually. 

I'm about to turn 57 this month  Coffee
Life is just beginning! I've got 16 year old twins( yeah I'm old for that I know----we started late on kids)

Wishing everyone a great weekend

Wish you'd stick around Big Guy----I've loved reading your posts on cpap upkeep  Eat-popcorn

I'm gonna be around for a good while. I like this forum and it's members. Both were of immense help to me when I started out on CPAP Therapy. 

Maybe just not as often, but around still.  Cool
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Long story short chronic 5 384 02-18-2024, 03:43 PM
Last Post: chronic
Sad [Treatment] Long term user, but still tired Bleached 2 560 02-14-2024, 03:11 AM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  [Treatment] Aerophagia + Long Sleep Times jambo99 1 216 02-07-2024, 09:56 AM
Last Post: BoxcarPete
  Long time CPAP user, first time here. Any insight is appreciated! TwoFistedWonderBrain 7 616 02-06-2024, 02:21 PM
Last Post: TwoFistedWonderBrain
  Long time CPAP user still fatigued enigmatic 101 6,814 12-02-2023, 01:46 AM
Last Post: enigmatic
  50 second long central apnea esaulcatnas 6 678 09-04-2023, 05:06 PM
Last Post: esaulcatnas
  After a long time I'm back. Had a night again with low 80% dip oxygen level MyronH 0 449 08-05-2023, 08:10 PM
Last Post: MyronH

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.