Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[CPAP] Masking with allergies
Masking with allergies
I’ve been using an Airsense machine for about 8 years. I usually get the best sleep results (below10) with a nasal mask, but as my allergies get worse I’ve had to go with a full face mask.  I’ve readjusted the humidity, hose temp and ramp-up time; however, my ahi jumped to 16 or 17. I’ve even tried the low-profile full face masks with no luck.  I have quite a wait before I can get another sleep study, so I was wondering if anyone out there has had the same issue, or knows of a full face mask that might be as effective and as comfortable as a nasal mask.  Thanks!
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Masking with allergies
cjde341;
I don't have any severe allergies ..
Is Your full face mask having severe leaks??
Other threads I have read say machines can't calcuate accurate
AHI's with severe leaks ..
I have had good luck with a Resmed F-20 airfit full face mask ..
I haven't used one but a Resmed F-30 might be something You 
can research ..
I know mask fit is a individual thing .. Some DME's have exchange
programs so people can try different masks to find a best fit ..

I hope this helps ..
Steve
Post Reply Post Reply
A few of the suppliers on the Supplier's List here have a money-back trial period for their masks.  I think Supplier #1 does.  The Resmed F20 and F30 have already been mentioned.  I have had good success with the F & P Vitera.
Download OSCAR
OSCAR Chart Organization
Attaching Files

Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies. 

Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.  
Post Reply Post Reply
It does.  Thanks!

Thanks!
Post Reply Post Reply
I have allergies, too. I take an antihistamine daily and use Flonase at bedtime, which works well for me. You could also try flushing your sinuses with saline solution, maybe 60 to 90 minutes before bed to allow everything to fully drain out.
Paula

"If I quit now, I will soon be back to where I started. And when I started I was desperately wishing to be where I am now."
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Question [Equipment] What are the strengths + weaknesses of Surgically Masking over CPAP devices' air inle StackExchange 2 652 02-27-2023, 02:37 PM
Last Post: quiescence at last
  Allergies and sleep apnea Rcgop 6 2,167 05-08-2022, 11:22 PM
Last Post: Jeff8356
  Surgery for OSA and UARS, help with allergies, food? Cblink19 0 607 02-09-2022, 01:13 PM
Last Post: Cblink19
  Does anyone have Autumn allergies?? My sleep is now improving... CentralApneaUser909 1 651 06-30-2021, 03:53 PM
Last Post: factor
  Spring allergies veloracer 3 682 04-19-2021, 07:42 AM
Last Post: NotADr
  Bad allergies and cpap use Saxmann 10 1,529 01-19-2021, 04:59 PM
Last Post: happydreams
  ResMed AirSense 10 AutoSet vs. Dreamstation for Bad Seasonal Allergies? dreamstream 4 1,640 02-25-2019, 07:36 AM
Last Post: Fats Drywaller

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.