Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

suggestions to lower ahi
RE: suggestions to lower ahi
(05-13-2021, 10:44 AM)Purr3k Wrote: I dug out the manual and checked to see if I could find the threshold for shutting off. According to it, the threshold for turning off the machine is 30 seconds or more. This means with this mask, I got 6  apneas longer than 30 seconds and the machine shut off. 

Huh... that's weird I usually get at least one apnea longer than 30 seconds every single night and I've never had my machine turn off (even the couple of nights I ran with autostart). In fact, I had one that lasted well over a minute at one point (yes, my doctor knows, I've told them). Do you have the autostart turned on? Though I imagine if you had a seriously bad leak at the time it maybe thought you had the mask off completely?
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-20-2021, 06:23 AM)Purr3k Wrote: UPDATE:

I made the following changes last night:. 
- I switched to regular autoset mode (heard it's better at high pressures) & used a cervical collar for the first time (it arrived in the mail).

Huge difference - from over 16 to under 2 (see attached). I must have a lot of positional apnea. I've been told by several anesthesiologists that I have a very small throat so I don't know if that is the reason why it has such a big effect on my results.) 

According to my husband, I moved less in my sleep last night as well (I woke up on the same side, I went to sleep on). The only issue is one of our cats woke me early. (I'll have a nap later on with my mask and collar.)

Great, by changing to the Standard Mode instead of the "For Her mode", your last chart shows a huge improvement. Still a small amount of positional apnea, but not bad at all.
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Congrats, that's a lot better than before.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Good to see another Canadian here.

My DME loans masks on trial. Once I've decided the mask I want I've found another vendor that sells at a reasonable price.

Dave
Toronto too
DaveL
compliant for 35 years /// Still trying!

I'm just a cpap user like you. I don't give medical advice. Seek the advice of a physician before seeking treatment for medical conditions including sleep apnea. Sleep-well

http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php..._The_Guide

Post Reply Post Reply
Thank you everyone for your responses.

Hi Dave, thank you for your reply, nice to meet another Toronto person. I'm awaiting the mask exchange (with the only vendor that I know of in Canada who exchanges masks). When I make my final decision on which mask to keep, I'll purchase a backup and spare parts from a cheaper vendor.
Airsense 10, Vitera face mask, Foam Cervical Collar, Silent Nights mask liners 
Canadian, diagnosed OSA in 2008 with 87 AHI pressure 16-20
Post Reply Post Reply
May I ask who exchanges masks? It would be helpful sometimes.
DaveL

I'm just a cpap user like you. I don't give medical advice. Seek the advice of a physician before seeking treatment for medical conditions including sleep apnea. Sleep-well

Post Reply Post Reply
Hi Dave,

We're not supposed to post names but this particular Canadian supplier is the only Canadian one that I'm aware that does mask exchanges. Moderators can you please add their name to the supplier list? Note: There is another Canadian supplier with a very similar name on the list but they are 2 different companies and the other company which is currently on the supplier list doesn't do mask exchanges .)

[Commercial Link Removed] Search for: cpapmachinescanada

If you look under refunds, it explains their mask exchange policy. You have to fill out a form & you pay to ship it back. They ship the replacement mask to you without charging shipping.

There are other Canadian suppliers who are cheaper but they are the only one that I know that allows you to exchange masks. 

As well, I recently purchased a ResMed Autoset 10 from a Canadian company not on the supplier list. (ResMed will only allow Canadian companies to sell their machines.) I was very happy with them (fast shipping and their prices were very good). Moderators could you please consider adding them to the supplier list too. Their name is:
[Commercial Link Removed] Search for: yourcpapstore

-----
Moderator Action: Commercial Link Removed
To maintain our status as an educational organization, the only commercial links allowed in this forum are to CPAP-related manufacturer websites. This is stated in the Apnea Board Rules with details given in the Commercial Links Policy section.
-----
Airsense 10, Vitera face mask, Foam Cervical Collar, Silent Nights mask liners 
Canadian, diagnosed OSA in 2008 with 87 AHI pressure 16-20
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks so much.
I had a terrible DME supplier for years. Hooked in with my sleep doc from _ell and the hospital he worked at. Credit Valley.

I found a great supplier. I asked that they be added to the list, but they didn't stand up to scrutiny. The company is Sleep Management Group. My friend went to the Burlington office. I've only gone to that one....I can get a mask on trial. I have to leave a credit card number. Trial is for a week. When I return the mask after a successful period of use, I get a new one. If it didn't work out, they suggest another.

My benefits at work were restored after a short period of negotiation. the masks have been paid for. (work...we talked about age discrimination and wrongful dismissal and my benefits were restored.)

Once I've found a mask that works, I look for cheaper parts for reconditioning. Or I look for cheaper suppliers. I'll look for the company name...they are in Quebec.

Thanks for the name of the company you use.
DaveL

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Feel worse on lower EPR even though AHI seems the same? LarkinM 10 324 03-14-2024, 10:53 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  Complex Sleep Apnea? Suggestions? Unkikonki 55 2,922 03-08-2024, 08:35 PM
Last Post: stevew168
  Suggestions for correcting class 6 flow type on Oscar Gugliano 5 248 03-03-2024, 09:03 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  [CPAP] Help - Initial Titration Suggestions gli890 2 304 02-17-2024, 01:04 AM
Last Post: CPAPfriend
  Dreamstation 2 feels like it isn't treating my apnea (any suggestions)? Sunday3 4 287 02-05-2024, 10:01 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  How can I lower my AHI? jstro84 26 2,476 01-13-2024, 12:13 PM
Last Post: jstro84
  Decent - but we all deserve better than that! Suggestions please. CPAPveteran 9 586 12-28-2023, 08:20 PM
Last Post: Gideon

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.