Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

CPAP Moisture; Rainout Prevention
Idea 
CPAP Moisture; Rainout Prevention
(01-10-2010, 03:23 PM)apgoroap Wrote:TO AVOID RAIN OUT:

I have been using a 11" REPTI HEAT CABLE 15W only 5" are heated but works great. - keep the unheated portion at the end close to the humidifier tank - (Ebay $17). I am also using a HOME DEPOT WATER PIPE 6" INSULATION FOAM (~$2) and a floor lamp electric switch (WALGREENS $9) and run the cable and the hose thru the foam. The CPAD and the REPTI HEAT cable are turned on and off at the same time trhu the lamp switch which is not on the floor but hanged at a near and easy to reach at night location. I have pictures of the arrangement if someone is interested.

After using all possible masks I chose to stick to the NOSE PILLOWS. I tape my mouth shut with MEDIPORE tape with corners folded for easy quick removal in case of need. I was afraid at the beginning but now I don't care. It's the best system: tape your mouth, sleep soundly.

I wash hose, nose pillows and CPAP humidifier tank parts on MO WE and FR only, since the use of the repti heat cable keeps everything dry making the hose, etc not receptive to bacteria.

I could have bought the aussi heated hose for $140 but I am an incurable DIY'r. Build it. Do not buy it. I have been spending money like crazy in masks, different tapes, humidifiers, foams, covers, etc etc and experimenting with all these things for 3 months - now I have the best arrangement in the planet. I do not believe this can be improved. As a bonus my blood pressure is normal - no medication any more - no more acid reflux either - and I am sleeping enough (7 to 9 hours) now to the surprise of the people in my house used to see me up at 4 in the morning after only 3 or maybe 4 hours sleep at night.

The CPAP hoses are very inexpensive in Ebay. Do not waste time trying to make them last for more than a month.

I do not rely too much on my insurance providing me stuff whenever they feel like it. I think is worth TO PAY a few bucks a month (I say $40 or $50) to sleep well, to live longer, to stop medication, etc...

Now if I could only loose 46 pounds!!!
You may be a dreamer, but I'm The Dreamer, the definite article you might say!
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: CPAP Moisture; Rainout Prevention
(01-12-2010, 12:06 PM)TheDreamer Wrote:Well, if it is any help...here's pictures of my setup....

Here's where the end of the heated portion comes out...
[Image: Repti-End1.jpg]

Here's the humifier end, the table top lamp timer is how I turn it on and off....it is programmed with just an off time, so if I forget to turn it off in the morning...it'll do it for me:
[Image: Repti-End2.jpg]

The Humidifier & CPAP are plugged into a different backup powersource, the one in the background runs a fan that is mainly for noise...and a few other things like cordless phone.

Here's a shot of the whole thing....
[Image: Repti-Hozer.jpg]

The Dreamer
You may be a dreamer, but I'm The Dreamer, the definite article you might say!
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: CPAP Moisture; Rainout Prevention
Now, if only the CPAP manufacturers would pay us patients instead of their engineers to come up with products that actually work in the real world.
Using the ResMed Mirage SoftGel Nasal Mask with a chinstrap

I do not use either the Ramp nor the EPR Comfort features

Have been on CPAP since December 1998

This is my 3rd machine

I use the ResMed ResScan Software (Version 3.16)
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Question on the Hybernite Rainout control tube runcyclexcski 2 109 03-21-2024, 05:29 AM
Last Post: runcyclexcski
  [Equipment] ResMed rainout help Sorcha 2 383 12-29-2023, 04:00 PM
Last Post: robbob2112
  Moisture with Brevida Nasal Pillows Columbiabill 2 357 12-26-2023, 02:04 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  How do I stop this rainout?!?! Please help tierdal 17 1,211 12-12-2023, 08:59 PM
Last Post: robbob2112
  Rainout prevention - dry mouth issue BlueSky1958 5 583 11-22-2023, 10:05 AM
Last Post: BlueSky1958
  Constantly Rainout with Climateline all of a sudden, help? tierdal 6 761 09-21-2023, 12:54 PM
Last Post: Lucky7
  [Equipment] Sudden rainout on AirSense 11 dovaleh 8 1,664 09-21-2023, 11:51 AM
Last Post: enigmatic

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.