Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[CPAP] Mold Inside CPAP Machine
Mold Inside CPAP Machine
Back in 2015 I was on a business trip and was staying in a Courtyard Marriott hotel. The first night I was there I noticed a very slight mold odor. The second night, the odor was much more pronounced, but I thought my CPAP filter would sufficiently clean the air. Wrong. I checked out of the hotel and got another one with clean air. I had to stay two more nights before heading back home. The mold odor was still in my CPAP machine. While I was home over the weekend, I looked up on YouTube how to dismantle my ResMed S9 Elite and give it a thorough deep cleaning. I'm glad I looked it up as I would have certainly broken parts to remove them without the YouTube instructions. I was surprised to see that there were several, thick pieces of foam inside the machine's air paths. These foam pieces had the horrible mold odor in them. I washed them with hot water and Dawn dish washing liquid, allowed them to dry, then put them back into the machine. I was quite pleased that this rid my machine of the mold odor.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Mold Inside CPAP Machine
Good Work Sir

Post Reply Post Reply
CPAP machine air filters don't remove odors. All they do, is insure that dust bunnies, insects, lint, hair, pet dander, pieces of paper (tissues), and other assorted material stay out. 

They don't remove allergens either.  Bigwink
Post Reply Post Reply
Just replaced my old REMPlus C-Flex.... I did like the filters on it much better than the "one" on the ResMed AirSense 10.

But when traveling I always got weird smells... so just was in the habit of replacing the "white" filter and washing the foam filter (or replacing) every time I traveled. But after 13,000 hrs I probable should have taken it apart and cleaned the insides as well.

Might have to look into that in the future when traveling... or maybe as a once a year maintenance?
Post Reply Post Reply
I got a deal on the new Respify ozone cleaning unit. (pitchforks and stakes start rattling.) This doesn't run through your machine AT ALL. You put the small unit with your tubing and humidifier tray in a bag that's provided. (You can put your mask in too but I don't; I hand wash that.) Then you put the bag on the porch or in your bathroom or garage and let it run for 90 minutes. Done.

However I just put my machine in the bag to be disinfected. I think I'll do this every two weeks or so. Hopefullly this will keep any mold from growing.
Post Reply Post Reply
The filters on these CPAPs leave a bit to be desired it seems. The purpose is to filter items that would damage the machine only. Getting mold in the machine sounds pretty gross.

Jokingly, I say add one of these instead of factory:
[Image: taCbskI.png]
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I was really surprised to see all of the foam inside the S9 machine. I'm thinking this foam serves the purpose of noise suppression of rushing air inside the machine. Certainly ResMed, or any other manufacturer, doesn't really want customers opening up their machines for fear that people may break parts of the machine or not reassemble it correctly, rendering a medical device less than effective or worse. The liability could be challenging to prove whether there was a manufacturing defect or customer error.
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-02-2020, 05:39 PM)jimc77 Wrote: Back in 2015 I was on a business trip and was staying in a Courtyard Marriott hotel. The first night I was there I noticed a very slight mold odor. The second night, the odor was much more pronounced, but I thought my CPAP filter would sufficiently clean the air. Wrong. I checked out of the hotel and got another one with clean air. I had to stay two more nights before heading back home. The mold odor was still in my CPAP machine. While I was home over the weekend, I looked up on YouTube how to dismantle my ResMed S9 Elite and give it a thorough deep cleaning. I'm glad I looked it up as I would have certainly broken parts to remove them without the YouTube instructions. I was surprised to see that there were several, thick pieces of foam inside the machine's air paths. These foam pieces had the horrible mold odor in them. I washed them with hot water and Dawn dish washing liquid, allowed them to dry, then put them back into the machine. I was quite pleased that this rid my machine of the mold odor.
What kind of smell did this mold give off? I’ve noticed a fume like Oder from mine for a few days lately. Not sure if just me or if machine needs to be serviced. I own a ResMed airsense 10 for her.
Post Reply Post Reply
Kinda like this shot down where the humidifier snaps into a 7-yr-old AirSense 10?

Post Reply Post Reply
The innards of the CPAP really do trap odors for days. I took mine on a trip and stayed at a hotel for a single night. The room didn't smell bad but it had a distinct smell. For most of the next week after I got back home, putting on the mask at night was like stepping back in that hotel room.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Feel like my CPAP machine is killing me jimbob123 1 95 03-27-2024, 05:42 AM
Last Post: Rich66
  Need help new on CPAP machine Jimasripper 10 312 03-22-2024, 03:08 PM
Last Post: Jimasripper
  Ready to buy CPAP machine NewlyDiagnosed 29 634 03-21-2024, 01:42 PM
Last Post: NewlyDiagnosed
  UARS diagnosis? No improvements on CPAP. What Bilevel machine to get and where? empiricismandstatistics 8 203 03-21-2024, 04:29 AM
Last Post: empiricismandstatistics
  Is a travel CPAP machine worth it? BobbieM 21 5,749 03-14-2024, 01:55 PM
Last Post: tommystix
  New to CPAP- Need advice on purchasing a machine JuanSiesta 4 370 02-14-2024, 09:31 PM
Last Post: JuanSiesta
  [CPAP] Newby not sure if CPAP is the right machine for me tcinoz 24 1,294 02-13-2024, 08:13 PM
Last Post: tcinoz

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.