Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[CPAP] Need Help. What is causing these clear airway events and arousals?
Sad 
Need Help. What is causing these clear airway events and arousals?
Hi All,

25 M, new to cpap with AHI of 14. I've been using CPAP for just under 2 months. I keep getting these unmarked arousals and clear airway events that are driving up my AHI. EPR is off, pressure set between 7 and 10, although i think it can go lower as i'm not experiencing a lot of flow limitation. Just wondering about these unmarked breathing arousals, could they potentially be CO2 related because my pressure is too high or is it me just still getting used to the machine? Any thoughts would be much appreciated!

P.S i use a p30i mask with mouth tape + chinstrap (~ 2 weeks of use, before that was using FFM for ~ 4 weeks)

OSCAR screenshots of the events in question attached below:

Cheers.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Need Help. What is causing these clear airway events and arousals?
Hi Norman2195!  -  Welcome

In order to get a better picture, we need to see the graphs in their default order and the complete night's data, meaning no zoomed images.  When OSCAR was developed, the parameters were displayed in order of importance.  The easiest way to get the graphs back in order is to go to View > Rest Graphs > Standard.  I know you are going to ask, the "Advanced" setting means for more advanced CPAPs such as an ASV and ST-A models.  

- Red
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Attaching Images and Files on Apnea Board
Apnea Helpful Tips

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Sure thing. Please see attached full night in default order.

Cheers

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
Your pressure graph shows a lot of variability. This would lead me to suspect your sleeping positions. I would hazard a guess that you were prone at the beginning and around 01:15 switched to your side, then to your back around 06:30. Pressure changes this large can cause arousals.

I think I would try setting your minimum pressure to 8 cm, leaving the maximum at 10 cm, and turn off the ramp feature. Try the best as you can to avoid sleeping on your back. Side and close to stomach sleeping is preferable. The reasoning is as you relax during sleep, throat muscles relax and gravity takes over, closing the airway if you are on your back. The side or stomach positions negate to a good degree this condition.

Your thoughts?

- Red
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Attaching Images and Files on Apnea Board
Apnea Helpful Tips

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi thanks for the reply. I don't think the above is the case, i almost always get aerophagia if I sleep on my side. Furthermore, the pulse ox i wear tracks movement, so in the above you can see whether the events are coupled with large movements. Sometimes there is no movement at all. Could there be an alternative explanation?
Post Reply Post Reply
EPR might help. It did for me. Try Crimson's settings (8min / 10max) with EPR on full time at 2 or 3.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Does Aircurve 10 Vauto record events and flow limits during ramp mode? SingleH 3 25 1 hour ago
Last Post: SingleH
  [Symptoms] Mysterious Arousals freakyfrog 7 110 Yesterday, 04:47 PM
Last Post: freakyfrog
  Trying to Reduce CA Events chrotteg 44 1,341 04-17-2024, 01:20 PM
Last Post: jcp519
  Persistent micro arousals? first few days on ResMed after switch from Philips. manders513 10 1,220 04-17-2024, 01:14 PM
Last Post: freakyfrog
Question Help - Mask change causing fatigue? coffee9724 3 224 04-15-2024, 09:01 PM
Gross EVIDENCE OF AIRFIT P10 VENT OBSTRUCTION CAUSING HYPERCAPNIA mdmarmd 139 35,668 04-12-2024, 05:52 PM
Last Post: Sheepish
  Are any of these events real? BigWing 6 197 04-09-2024, 02:40 PM

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.