Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[CPAP] Need help for choosing mask. Adapting to CPAP.
Need help for choosing mask. Adapting to CPAP.
Hi all. My dad is diagnosed with OSA with an AHI of 25.5. He's 71 and he generally doesn't surf English forums so I'm speaking on his behalf. Also because I'm his main caretaker in the family.

We were given a Remstar SystemONE with A-flex and a Pico (all Philips Respironics) and were told to use it for 4 to 7 days and then the clinic will collect the machine and analyze the data and then provide my Dad's recommended starting pressure. They say this is a standard "calibration process".

However, when my dad put the Pico mask on (without the hose attached yet!), he said he felt suffocated. I'm wondering is this normal? I asked him multiple times how he felt and he said he felt suffocated as if something was blocking his nose. Could it be that the Pico mask structure is not fit for my dad's face? Does this normally happen?

So I began to loosen the mask but it only made him feel slightly better. Then we attached the hose and began with 4cm H2O pressure. After a couple of minutes he said he felt terrible because he couldn't breathe out with his nose and he had to open his mouth to breathe, which leaked the air from his nose and made his mouth very dry.

My dad is South East Asian and he typically has a short nose, with small face structure. My best bet right now is to change the mask but I don't know which one will work. Which mask would you guys think will work for my dad, given all the data I provided above? I did some research and found a mask called Dreamwear that doesn't go over the nose bridge. Did anyone have success with this mask?

Looking forward to some help here! Any help is much much appreciated.
Sorry for my bad English.

Nam.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Need help for choosing mask. Adapting to CPAP.
Welcome to Apnea Board. There are other masks to try. There are other brands, other styles, designs. Do some research if you can on nasal pillows and the nasal mask styles. These rest under the nostrils and do not sit on the bridge area. Pay attention to size of the cushion sealing area as this plays a part in how well it fits, but also if it sits against the nose correctly. Best to you on this.

You may also want to view the mask primer wiki HERE.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
A starting pressure of 4 is probably too low, generally most adults need a minimum of 6.

You can bump it up and see how he does.

John
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-01-2020, 09:21 PM)70sSanO Wrote: A starting pressure of 4 is probably too low, generally most adults need a minimum of 6.

You can bump it up and see how he does.

John

Thank you for your reply!

I managed to change his Pico mask to size L (the previous one was XL which was a bit too large). He’s currently through the first hour of his night sleep right now. I really really hope things will be brighter from now on!! Hope I could pull a full Oscar report tomorrow.

The setting right now is:
Starting pressure: 7 cmH2O
Auto mode
Ramp: off
A Flex: 2
Humid 4 with System one humidification on and tube heating off.

My main concern is when later on at mid night, he’d unconsciously dropping his jaw and open his mouth which could potentially erase therapy effect as well as making this throat very dry.
We did try a practice session (though the humidity setting back then was 2) this afternoon nap and after 45 mins he had to wake up and remove the mask due to the throat being too dry. He said he felt pain swallowing because of such dry throat.

If tomorrow morning he wakes up and still feels dry throat, I might have to switch to a full face mask. I’m getting the Dreamwear full face mask.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Trouble adapting to ResMed AirCurve 10 ASV JanetW 6 207 03-19-2024, 01:58 AM
Last Post: stevew168
  Choosing Apnea Mouth Guard newtothis1 9 806 03-08-2024, 09:52 PM
Last Post: stevew168
  AirSense 11 & AirFit F30i Mask, new CPAP user TreeSky 0 298 02-25-2024, 09:47 AM
Last Post: TreeSky
  Cleaning CPAP & AirTouch F20 Mask PoutinePrincess 2 343 02-10-2024, 11:14 AM
Last Post: TechieHippie
  New CPAP user - Fine Tuning Settings/Mask Help slowmo2000 0 260 01-31-2024, 11:58 PM
Last Post: slowmo2000
  New CPAP User - f30i Mask Troubles CcReesezzzzz01 6 825 01-31-2024, 10:55 PM
Last Post: CcReesezzzzz01
  [CPAP] Significant noise from mask since change of CPAP machine! SwissTruffle 7 702 01-03-2024, 10:00 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.