Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[CPAP] New CPAP user, waking up often
New CPAP user, waking up often
I have been using a CPAP machine (Respironics Dreamstation, Vitera Full Face mask) for about 3 weeks.  I have been sleeping worse, waking up often -- I don't have a problem falling asleep.  I am a frequent snorer, so that is reduced, but I'm not getting enough sleep.

Plus the mask doesn't feel great -- the medium size seems to touch the ends of my lips, and the large just doesn't feel good.  It's got worse over time -- in terms of relative lack of comfort with the mask... At times I wake up feeling suffocated--like I can't breathe.

Sorry to sound so picky, but I've always been sleeping only 4-5 hours / night and in my mid-to-late 50s that became too tiring; so I got this CPAP (the sleep study had a score of 11, with a low O2 sat of 81%, with lots of snoring), if that helps.

I would be forever grateful for any tips.  Should I get a new mask?  The machine seems great...

Thanks for any tips!  Would be so grateful,
Bharat
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: New CPAP user, waking up often
If you Down load OSCAR(free software) at top of page some of the folks here might be able to help with your pressures. Sounds like from what you mentioned about your suffocating feeling it might be just to low a bottom pressure!
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: New CPAP user, waking up often
Welcome to the forum. I also suggest you down load free OSCAR software from here https://www.sleepfiles.com/OSCAR/ and post some data. if your machine did not come with an SD card you will need one. Any brand will do. Just don't get a card with a capacity greater than 32GB (8 will do fine). See the links below for how to organize and post data.

I agree that your minimum pressure may be too low. I suggest increasing it to 7. Go here https://www.apneaboard.com/adjust-cpap-p...tup-manual to get a clinical settings manual for your machine.

Selecting a comfortable mask is one of the biggest challenges when starting out. I find the Resmed Airfit F20 to be the best for me but it may not be for you. See if your supplier will let you return your present mask a d try another.
Download OSCAR

Organize Charts
Attaching Charts

Mask Primer
Soft Cervical Collar

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Question New CPAP User - Help Please - ResMed Airsense 11 Autoset Pawpri 17 342 Yesterday, 07:47 AM
Last Post: Old Steve
Sad [Treatment] 10 Months In and Still Waking Up After 4 to 5 Hours Burnsy 3 281 03-14-2024, 11:37 AM
Last Post: Burnsy
  Newer CPAP User, still snoring Warnick13 45 1,470 03-11-2024, 06:29 PM
Last Post: Warnick13
  [CPAP] Persistant night waking - Oscar results help please philjones 0 155 03-07-2024, 05:39 PM
Last Post: philjones
  [Pressure] New CPAP user - Please help interpreting graphs fsdx2004 40 2,032 03-07-2024, 08:01 AM
Last Post: fsdx2004
  [Symptoms] CPAP(UARS) user 10+ years, still feel terrible DB10 17 1,007 03-05-2024, 09:37 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
Sad [Symptoms] Traumatic life event. Now I'm waking up every night suffocating. BostonEngineer 9 394 03-03-2024, 12:44 PM
Last Post: HalfAsleep

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.