Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[CPAP] New to APNEA, struggling to get full nights sleeps, appreciate review and advice.
New to APNEA, struggling to get full nights sleeps, appreciate review and advice.
Hello all,

I hope everyone is good.

I am new to CPAP.

I was diagnosed via sleep study with severe apnea (AHI of approx. 60).

Started using Resmed Airsense 10 11 days ago.

Using an N30i mask with nasal pillows.

The settings on machine are:
Mode: Autoset
Max Pressure: 14
Min Pressure: 5 (3 nights ago I increased from 4 to 5)
Mask: Nasal
Response: Standard
Ramp Time: Auto
Start Pressure: 5
EPR: on
EPR type : Full time
EPR level: 3
Climate Control: Auto
Tube Temp: Auto

According to airsense therapy is working – happy face for mask seal, high score on the app, AHI of less than 1.

However I am struggling to sleep for a full night with CPAP on. Initially I thought I needed to get used to mask etc.

Now I am getting a sensation of congested nose and also sometimes feel like it is difficult for me to exhale.

Last night I took mask off subconsciously before waking and putting back on.

The charts below are from last nights Oscar.

My questions are:
1.      Is therapy working for me?
2.      Are there any improvements in settings which might help with congestion and exhale problems?
3.      Is there anything of note in the Oscar graphs?
4.      Should I persist with the nasal mask of would I be better off with a full face?

Thank you for reading this and for all of the help and support offered by this forum.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: New to APNEA, struggling to get full nights sleeps, appreciate review and advice.
Welcome to Apnea board, looks like you are doing very well on your machine. Seeing you are new to the board and are on a learning curve. I'm not sure you have heard of rain out in your hose's, that occurs when condensation forms and works its way to the mask and it can give a little discomfort. Your mask hose should have no water droplets and if this occurs you might have to turn down humidity. When I feel congested all I do is open my mouth and let the air free flow for 10 seconds or so a few times and that will clear that feeling of congestion usually.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: New to APNEA, struggling to get full nights sleeps, appreciate review and advice.
Yes you are being treated and it is working.  But I think you would be more comfortable if you move the Min to 7 and EPR to 3.  It should work better and make breathing easier.  If it does not work well for you make the EPR 2 the next night.

The leak rate (mask) looks good, I would stay with this one for awhile.
Apnea (80-100%) 10 seconds, Hypopnea (50-80%) 10 seconds, Flow Limits (0-50%) not timed  Cervical Collar - Dealing w DME - Chart Organizing
Post Reply Post Reply
Welcome to Apnea Board. I agree with staceybuke, go with pressure of Min 7 and EPR 3. See if it helps add comfort. Try it and post with an OSCAR chart, and state if your comfort is better. BTW: We're not adjusting for better chart numbers, as they are great. We are attempting to add to your comfort.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Have you heard of a nasal rinse.  Originally it was the neti pot, but in recent years there have been some redesigns.  The neilmd, something like that, is a good one and readily available.   You could try that before bedtime.   It would help with your stuffy nose.
Sleep-well
Post Reply Post Reply
Agree with stacyburke, move your min. pressure to 7cm and set the EPR to 3.  This will give you an exhale pressure of 4. This will help you with exhalation, and the higher Min. pressure of 7 will keep you from feeling "air starved."

Your charts look excellent and suggest the therapy is working, except for the lack of sleep.  Five hours is not enough sleep to function well during the day.  I don't see anything in your graphs that would cause you to wake up, so you need to look at other reasons.  Do you have any other health issues that keep you from sleeping?
I know myself, I wake a couple times a night due to pain.  Some meds are known to affect sleep too.

As far as congestion, Cpapian's suggestion is one that I also use.  I use a rinse whenever I feel congested, also use a saline nasal spray nightly.
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  New to CPAP, looking for guidance and advice iamJB 15 260 1 minute ago
Last Post: iamJB
  New- CA CA-Tired help with settings advice jenjabba 8 168 Yesterday, 01:03 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
Sad [Treatment] Struggling to treat UARS with BIPAP Humancyclone7 0 62 Yesterday, 12:05 PM
Last Post: Humancyclone7
  New Here, Been using OSCAR, Need Advice Regarding Adjustments FrankReality 26 853 03-26-2024, 01:49 PM
Last Post: FrankReality
  [Pressure] Advice on pressure adjustments akarifur 43 1,788 03-25-2024, 08:58 PM
Last Post: Uzupan
  Invisalign to help sleep apnea and dental extractions as a cause of sleep apnea SingleH 10 612 03-24-2024, 07:00 PM
Last Post: stevew168
  Struggling with pressure etc ubuntootoo 9 269 03-22-2024, 06:19 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.