Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Is an Apnea close to 1 minute dangerous?
Is an Apnea close to 1 minute dangerous?
I don't get many Apneas - my CPAP treatment seems to be successful! Last night I only 1  - but its duration was 55 seconds.  Is this something I should be worried about?  Close to a minute seems like a a long time not to be breathing! I checked back over the last month or so and found that anything over 30 seconds is very unusual for me.  Nothing close to 55 seconds.

Is this unusual?  And dangerous?

Elliot
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Is an Apnea close to 1 minute dangerous?
If it were me I'd investigate fully. Nearly 1 minute without breathing is a pretty serious issue. You might want to add an OSCAR chart to give us more info about what happened.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Completely agree with Dave.  Apneas longer than about 10 seconds are worth investigating, particularly if they cluster, get longer, or are just sufficiently numerous to raise your nightly AHI into the 4+ range.

OASCAR will allow us to see what your machine sees as you lead up to these longer apneas.  You may need to undergo some kind of video observation to see if there's a correlation between the longer apneas and something you are doing....or not doing.
Post Reply Post Reply
It is not uncommon for an individual to hold their breath for over 2 minutes, so no 1 single 1-minute long apnea is dangerous. Many together, back to back, or enough isolated events to disrupt your sleep multiple times, that can have an impact.
Post Reply Post Reply
I attach a Oscar screenshot from around where it happened. As you can see there was very little else happening, apart from a leak when the pressure went high:

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
(07-19-2020, 07:44 PM)bonjour Wrote: It is not uncommon for an individual to hold their breath for over 2 minutes, so no 1 single 1-minute long apnea is dangerous.  Many together, back to back, or enough isolated events to disrupt your sleep multiple times, that can have an impact.
Thanks for this comment.  I will keep a lookout and see if this is one off!
Post Reply Post Reply
Regarding the apnea, it came after an interesting hyperventilation and was followed by recovery breathing. There is nothing to suggest obstruction, or that a change in settings would prevent this. Without OSCAR it would not exist in your memory. Sometimes we just can't explain these things, but there is nothing reasonably possible to do about them either.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Invisalign to help sleep apnea and dental extractions as a cause of sleep apnea SingleH 10 608 03-24-2024, 07:00 PM
Last Post: stevew168
  Good AHI but Low Tidal Volume and Minute Ventilation erolalper 1 146 03-15-2024, 07:57 AM
Last Post: BoxcarPete
  15-minute periods of massive events (OSCAR pics included) nicholasb600 2 174 03-14-2024, 09:42 AM
Last Post: BoxcarPete
  What is optimal respiration rate, minute vent, tidal volume, etc? ATeam91 4 462 01-23-2024, 04:19 PM
Last Post: ATeam91
  [CPAP] A Different Problem Every Night, Yet so Close to Perfection? Dulcinea 10 506 01-16-2024, 02:43 PM
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza
  Minute Vent, Tidal Volume, etc. MrIvanDrago 5 697 11-20-2023, 11:49 AM
Last Post: Jay51
Sad [Treatment] Weird Flow Rate/Minute Vent OK Laptop 0 401 10-28-2023, 12:40 AM
Last Post: OK Laptop

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.