Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[CPAP] New user
RE: New user
I'm delighted to hear things are going so well for you!
Post Reply Post Reply
(02-24-2020, 07:54 AM)dickydutch Wrote: They've said we can try a different mask in a few weeks if the liners don't help.

Rich.

You should try the AirTouch F20. It uses the exact same mask frame, but a different cushion which has memory foam that contacts the face. It will work with your existing frame/headgear. It won't cause irritation, and it seals much better.
Post Reply Post Reply
So here I am, almost 2 weeks into using a machine. I got an AirTouch mask, which arrived on Thursday, so I've used it for two nights now. Leaks seem lower, and it doesn't seem to irritate my face as much. Still getting redness and dry skin as if I've been out in the wind in winter - but the technician that did my 1 week follow-up said they'll send me out a heated hose - still waiting for that one to arrive.

My AHI's have been a little bit up and down, looking at the graphs some of them are skewed slightly by sleep-wake junk. (I've just re-checked my consultant's report, and the WatchPAT study I had at home indicated AHI of 7.2, but REM AHI of 15, and ODI of 19/hour, average oxygen saturation 90% - I go for an in-patient overnight sleep study on Thursday evening to also check for possible PLMS).

Am attaching a the last two nights' data, and one of the poorer nights, along with the summary, and wonder if there's any tips on tweaks I may need to make, or just carry on as is for now.

Edit: Someone asked me how I physically feel rather than just looking at the numbers - I think I'm already benefitting, I feel as if I'm less prone to snoozing in the evenings when watching TV, and it's possible I'm feeling slightly more refreshed in the mornings than I used to - but it's still early days.

Thanks,
Rich.

And here's the overview.

Rich.

Post Reply Post Reply
Knowing that you are feeling better is good, that means we are moving in the right direction. It is very important to convey the negatives because these are symptoms, complaints are symptoms, and symptoms convey the need for change. We all to often fail to properly convey our symptoms.
Post Reply Post Reply
(02-29-2020, 02:45 AM)dickydutch Wrote: So here I am, almost 2 weeks into using a machine. I got an AirTouch mask, which arrived on Thursday, so I've used it for two nights now. Leaks seem lower, and it doesn't seem to irritate my face as much. Still getting redness and dry skin as if I've been out in the wind in winter

Regarding the AirTouch, Memory foam is temperature sensitive so if it's setting in a room that is 60 degrees F it will much stiffer than it will be when it warms to your body temp which is almost a 40 degree rise. The problem I think some have with the mask is they tighten the straps too much when first putting it on because it leaks when the memory foam is cold. If it tightened too much the foam can't expand to form to your face when it warms to your body temp.

What I have found works for me is to put the mask on for the first time leave the straps fairly loose and don't connect hose for at least 10-15 minutes. When the MF warms to your body temp attach the hose. If it is leaking air, tighten straps slightly, don't crank it too tight, just enough to stop the leaking. Once you get the leaking stopped, and it feels comfortable, leave the straps at that setting. You may have to fine tune the straps the first couple nights, but once set you won't need to adjust again.

Each time you put the mask on cold it will probably leak till it warms up. Resist the urge to tighten the straps. Just leave the straps the way they were. Actually the mask may feel tight because the cold foam can't compress The foam will soften and fill in any voids as it warms. If the straps are too tight the foam is crushed and won't seal and is uncomfortable. Also as the foam ages it gets softer and feel better. I have my straps adjusted so the mask feels like it's floating on my face. I rarely adjust them. I have no facial irritation or red marks. I use unscented baby wipes and then a facial tissue every day to keep the whole mask clean and fresh including the foam. I'm on 60 days with the mask and it still looks like new.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks for that. I am keeping the mask fairly loose but tight enough not to have leaks.

The redness and dry skin I'm getting is actually on the area of my face that is inside the mask, not under the seal. (I've always been prone to chapped lips and red-face when out in cold windy weather - so not a surprise that moving cool air from CPAP also causes the same symptoms).
Post Reply Post Reply
What a difference the heated hose makes. I went in for my overnight sleep study last night, so I have no data as the hospital used their own ResMed S9 (without humidification). Not sure how much sleep I got with more wired coming from me than a crash test dummy! Still, due to the original heated hose they sent out two weeks ago getting lost in the post, they gave me a new one there and then.

Tried it out last night, and wow, no longer feeling like the part of my face that is under the full mask is out in a cold winter gale, and very little redness on the face in the morning!

Here's the graph from last night, my AHIs seem to have stabilised around 1 - 1.5ish. (Sat 1.55, Sun 0.8, Mon 0.78, Tue 1.66, Wed 1.19, Fri 1.36).

If there's any tweaks you think need to be made now that might help reduce it lower, please let me know. I have noticed zooming into the graphs more, there are some apnoeas (mixed and central) that the S10 isn't listing as such, presumably because they're shorter than 10 seconds? Do these have any effect on the sleep quality?

Thanks,
Rich.

Post Reply Post Reply
Dickydutch you numbers look great, you need to just sleep with the machine now
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks Jaswilliams.

Just re-reading what I posted, the sleep study was Thursday night, not last night Smile Also, I meant central and obstructive apnoeas, not mixed!

Feeling wise, I think I'm starting to feel less tired when I wake up, and also less prone to falling asleep when watching TV in the evening after work - so I'm certainly of the opinion that the machine is helping, even if I do feel a little self-conscious with the mask (hubby calling me Darth etc. but he's certainly appreciative of the fact my snoring is now almost non-existent whereas previously it could move mountains).

Richard.
Post Reply Post Reply
Richard, very good to hear you're starting to feel more rested. Tell your husband this is your new fighter-pilot look.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  10 year CPAP user, new system and new mask and 1st time Oscar user armandxp 2 1,110 01-26-2021, 05:44 PM
Last Post: armandxp
  Long Time User...First Time 'Advanced Detail' User DerekN 25 10,159 08-11-2013, 04:59 AM
Last Post: sleepyhead2

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.