Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[CPAP] New user
New user
Hi All,
I'm a new user - had poor quality of sleep for many years, but never got a diagnosis until recently.

I've just been given a RedMed AirSense 10 Autoset, and have been using it for 2 nights so far.

According to my consultant, the home test they had me do indicated an AHI of around 11. For the first two nights my AHI as indicated by the APAP machine has been 0.9 for the first night and 1.4 for the second. Is this sort of result expected so quickly and on default settings?

Been reading with interest other posts on the boards, and have already downloaded the Oscar software to try it out!

Rich.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: New user
G'day Rich. Welcome to Apnea Board.

Congratulations on starting therapy with a top-of-the-line machine. It sounds like you're off to an excellent start - I'd be very interested to see your OSCAR charts. The big question is "How do you feel?"
Post Reply Post Reply
I'll sort out the charts when I get home from work. I'm not feeling much change yet (2 days in I probably shouldn't expect to), but I think I'm feeling less tired when I wake up in the morning, if you know what I mean.

I'm lucky, managed to get a referral to Guy's Hospital London Sleep Clinic - and they only issue ResMed AirSense S10 devices. (Used to issue the S9). All on the NHS  Smile

At the moment the machine is on the defaults it came set to - so 4-20cmHg with autoramp. The only setting I've changed so far is to get the extended info on the sleep analysis page of the device.
Post Reply Post Reply
Welcome to the forum

It is a bit unusual to see such good results with default settings. That means your feelings and comfort are mostly what needs to be adjusted. Thus the question, How do you feel?
Any difficulties using the machine?

Please be critical on your replies, as they will drive some subtle changes in settings.

Request the setup manual from the CPAP setup link in the black banner above. It is a manual process so don't expect instant access.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks. Feeling wise, I think it's probably too early to tell. Monday night was the first night, so was getting used to wearing the face mask. Last night I was fairly drunk (did a pub quiz with a friend!), so that probably skewed my feelings this morning due to a slight hangover!

We'll see how it goes tonight!

No difficulties in using the machine, though I am intrigued as to why it ramped up the pressure linearly and massively this morning - I'll post the OSCAR graphs from both nights later on when I get home from work as they're on my personal laptop.

I've already ordered my first accessory - a cover for the air tube - it's the little things you don't think about at first - room temperature air is fine normally, but when it's being blown in your face by a mask it suddenly feels colder than ambient!

My husband is already saying he's sleeping better without my usual snoring!

Rich.
Post Reply Post Reply
Rich,

If you find the air cold or find excessive moisture in your mask then mention it at your 30 day follow up and the sleep clinic will likely give you a heated hose for the machine. I find running the hose Unser the bed cloths near my body is sufficient to take the chill off
Post Reply Post Reply
Here are my charts from OSCAR for 17th and 18th Feb. Hope I've formatted them correctly.

I'm intrigued as to what caused the linear ramp up at around 5.15am on Tuesday. I'd been to the loo in the gap at about 4.30am, and not sure I dropped completely back to sleep after that.

Rich.

Post Reply Post Reply
The reason is VERY clear, it is the large spike in flow limits right below it. The question becomes why the spike in flow limits there. Post a zoom at that spike and let's see what is happening then.
Post Reply Post Reply
Here's the zoomed section. 

Thanks,
Rich

Post Reply Post Reply
Not enough detail 512-514 and reset the scale of the flow rate chart to +/- 75 with the zero line dotted.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  10 year CPAP user, new system and new mask and 1st time Oscar user armandxp 2 1,112 01-26-2021, 05:44 PM
Last Post: armandxp
  Long Time User...First Time 'Advanced Detail' User DerekN 25 10,162 08-11-2013, 04:59 AM
Last Post: sleepyhead2

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.