Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[CPAP] OSCAR data showing many clear-airway events in new user of AirSense 11 APAP
Question 
OSCAR data showing many clear-airway events in new user of AirSense 11 APAP
After a home sleep study, I was diagnosed last month with obstructive sleep apnea (AHI 19.0).

I started using a ResMed AirSense 11 and Philips Respironics DreamWear nasal mask a few days ago. The doctor ordered a flow rate of 4 to 16.

Because I felt a suffocating feeling when the AirSense was ramping up from the flow rate of 4, I turned off ramping and changed the flow rate to 8 to 14. I also used tape on my mouth with a small hole to limit mouth breathing and leaks. (There were still some large leaks that showed up in the OSCAR data.)

I started using OSCAR for the first time today and noticed what appears to be 63 clear-airway events but just three obstructive sleep apnea events.

Attached are three OSCAR screenshots of some examples of the apparent clear-airway events (the last screenshot is more zoomed in than the other two screenshots).

A few questions:

1. Are these clear-airway events and possible or probable central sleep apnea events?

2. Because I was never diagnosed with central sleep apnea, are these apparent clear-airway events CPAP- or APAP-induced central sleep apneas?

3. Does mouth-taping make clear-airway events more likely?

4. Do you have any advice about setting changes to my AirSense 11, my nasal mask, or anything else?

Thanks very much for your help! I appreciate it.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: OSCAR data showing many clear-airway events in new user of AirSense 11 APAP
sorry you did not get an answer on this, how are you now? I have the same pattern playing out.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Question New CPAP User - Help Please - ResMed Airsense 11 Autoset Pawpri 21 415 3 hours ago
Last Post: Pawpri
  oscar data sleeper2460 0 43 4 hours ago
Last Post: sleeper2460
  Trying to Reduce CA Events chrotteg 10 351 03-26-2024, 11:08 PM
Last Post: chrotteg
  New user OSCAR data after one week Everlong 2 107 03-26-2024, 09:04 AM
Last Post: Everlong
  Current OSCAR Data Tylermdugan 0 65 03-26-2024, 07:06 AM
Last Post: Tylermdugan
  Need help with OSCAR data Abhi 5 404 03-26-2024, 05:31 AM
Last Post: BigWing
  [Treatment] Clear airway / central apnea events -- causes and solutions? mitzvahtime 6 2,399 03-25-2024, 04:10 PM
Last Post: Jay51

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.