Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[CPAP] OSCAR data showing many clear-airway events in new user of AirSense 11 APAP
Question 
OSCAR data showing many clear-airway events in new user of AirSense 11 APAP
After a home sleep study, I was diagnosed last month with obstructive sleep apnea (AHI 19.0).

I started using a ResMed AirSense 11 and Philips Respironics DreamWear nasal mask a few days ago. The doctor ordered a flow rate of 4 to 16.

Because I felt a suffocating feeling when the AirSense was ramping up from the flow rate of 4, I turned off ramping and changed the flow rate to 8 to 14. I also used tape on my mouth with a small hole to limit mouth breathing and leaks. (There were still some large leaks that showed up in the OSCAR data.)

I started using OSCAR for the first time today and noticed what appears to be 63 clear-airway events but just three obstructive sleep apnea events.

Attached are three OSCAR screenshots of some examples of the apparent clear-airway events (the last screenshot is more zoomed in than the other two screenshots).

A few questions:

1. Are these clear-airway events and possible or probable central sleep apnea events?

2. Because I was never diagnosed with central sleep apnea, are these apparent clear-airway events CPAP- or APAP-induced central sleep apneas?

3. Does mouth-taping make clear-airway events more likely?

4. Do you have any advice about setting changes to my AirSense 11, my nasal mask, or anything else?

Thanks very much for your help! I appreciate it.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: OSCAR data showing many clear-airway events in new user of AirSense 11 APAP
sorry you did not get an answer on this, how are you now? I have the same pattern playing out.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Does Aircurve 10 Vauto record events and flow limits during ramp mode? SingleH 3 16 1 minute ago
Last Post: SingleH
Question Suggested Settings Switching AirSense 10 CPAP to AirSense 11 APAP Rickyricardo 2 73 9 hours ago
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  Help Adjusting Settings based on Oscar data rygonzo93 4 80 Yesterday, 06:02 PM
Last Post: gainerfull
Question New CPAP User - Help Please - ResMed Airsense 11 Autoset Pawpri 53 1,453 Yesterday, 05:25 PM
Last Post: Pawpri
  Help reading OSCAR data JenniferJuniper 24 1,295 Yesterday, 10:17 AM
Last Post: JenniferJuniper
  [CPAP] Help with OSCAR data to help improve sleep Akaharu 7 259 Yesterday, 04:04 AM
Last Post: Akaharu
  Trying to Reduce CA Events chrotteg 44 1,341 04-17-2024, 01:20 PM
Last Post: jcp519

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.