Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[CPAP] Oscar Data Review
Oscar Data Review
Here's a summary of what I'm dealing with and the Oscar data. I'd appreciate it if someone could take a look. I do have a meeting with my doctor this week but I want to see what you guys have to say.
  • Diagnosed with severe apnea, AHI was 36+ during sleep study
  • Started using CPAP on Nov 13th.
  • Using Philips Dreamstation
  • Started with Nasal Pillows
  • Switched to Face Mask on December 9th.
  • From the beginning, my AHI came down immediately. Largely in the lower teens. Then lowered even further with the mask into single digits.
  • According to the Dreammapper app, the nasal pillow fit was almost 100% each night and with the mask it falls down some.
  • Reason I talked to the tech and switched to the mask on his suggestion was that despite the lower AHI I actually felt even more tired than I used to without CPAP. If there was no change I wouldn't mind too much but being worse was actually really frustrating.
  • I'm hoping the mask will help but not sure.
  • I can only change ramp up time so I increased that after the first couple of nights, it helped some. 
  • Pressure is pre-set to 10 per doctor's findings from sleep study, I can't change it right now.
Basically my biggest issue is I don't know what I'm supposed to be feeling like. Trial and error I guess. I'm wondering if you guys can point to something in the data that might help.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Oscar Data Review
Reverssewing, Will you please post a typical Oscar daily details chart with Events, Flow Rate, Pressure, Snore and Leaks. It appears you are using a fixed pressure of 10. The daily chart will give us details about which model Dreamstation you are using, and allow us to visualize more accurately how therapy is working with your respiratory flow rate. My impression from the overview is that therapy is improving, however it looks like sleep may be somewhat disrupted at times.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hopefully I understood what you're asking for; I'm attaching two screenshots. One from about a week ago with the nasal pillow and one from last night where I'm now using the mask. Thanks!

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
Those are excellent charts. Now we know we are dealing with a Dreamstation Auto CPAP set to fixed pressure mode at 10.0 with CFlex + at a setting of 2, and a ramp for about 30 minutes starting at 4.0 cm. Both charts show some respiratory instability with periodic breathing showing at times. Obstructive apnea and hypopnea is clustered enough that positional issues might be worth considering. You clearly had higher leak rates with the nasal pillows, and current leak rates are satisfactory. I think there is some evidence of therapy onset central apnea. This can account for the CA, H and periodic breathing in these results. This is something you probably want to focus on when you talk to the doctor. All of these types of events can be treated with ASV which provides adaptive pressure support to stabilize your respiratory rate and volume. It is doubtful that anyone is considering ASV therapy at this stage of your therapy. You might want to experiment with a lower Flex setting of 1 or off, which can often help stabilize respiration in individuals with mild central events. Access to your mode, pressure settings, CFlex and everything else is pretty easy. https://www.apneaboard.com/dreamstation-...structions Things like ramp and Flex are considered comfort settings, and your doctor is not going to be concerned if you access those settings. Given the types of events we see here, I think fixed pressure is actually a good thing, but might be set a bit lower if CA and H continue to be prevalent.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thank you for the detailed response, I wanted to wait to reply until after my doctor's appointment which I had today. Just to summarize what he said, he confirmed what you said about CA and that it might just go away on it's own. Due to other positive numbers, he wants me to continue without changes for 4-6 weeks until I meet him again (unless things get worse). 

He does also want me to get tested for other things such as Thyroid, etc., to eliminate other causes of fatigue.

Now back to my cpap. I noticed something new last night. I woke up I think 3 times because of noisy air coming out of the mask. At first I thought it was a leak but it wasn't. It was basically coming out of the vents in the mask and the pressure was high so it made noise. Soon after I woke up it went back down to normal. Almost like the machine is setup to increase the pressure when it notices that I wasn't breathing, aka CA. Could that be? The doctor thinks the CA is happening because the body is so used to periods of not breathing that it just goes into that mode even though there's no OA due to air pressure being good.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  New user OSCAR data after one week Everlong 2 102 03-26-2024, 09:04 AM
Last Post: Everlong
  Current OSCAR Data Tylermdugan 0 63 03-26-2024, 07:06 AM
Last Post: Tylermdugan
  Need help with OSCAR data Abhi 5 399 03-26-2024, 05:31 AM
Last Post: BigWing
  First night done, now what? (OSCAR data attached) Stephaniea0213 5 140 03-20-2024, 02:35 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  New to CPAP Titration Study and OSCAR Data Help Needed slowmoto 2 143 03-20-2024, 01:24 PM
Last Post: slowmoto
  Analyzing OSCAR DATA givememyusername 3 172 03-20-2024, 06:02 AM
Last Post: Crimson Nape
  Journey to cure UARS. OSCAR data attached gzaw 5 929 03-19-2024, 03:39 PM
Last Post: BoxcarPete

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.