Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[CPAP] ResMed AirSense 10 makes loud noise when inhaling.
RE: ResMed AirSense 10 makes loud noise when inhaling.
(04-25-2015, 11:36 AM)under pressure Wrote: One other quick thought, since you indicate that the noise is coming from filter area, are you using the standard filter, or the denser hypoallergenic filter?

I have always used the slightly denser hypoallergenic filter pads in my machine right from the get go (you can get them from almost any online vendor). I don't know if it would make any difference in the noise, but it might be worth a shot.......the slightly thicker/denser filter might muffle the noise a bit.......just an idea

I like the hypoallergenic filter because I live in a somewhat dusty area and those filters do pick up more dust and pollen........and maybe they might help on the noise issue as well.

I'm using the filter that came with the machine, which I believe is just the standard filter. It looks like the filter is seated ok and the air outlet port seems to be pretty tight as well. I'll ask about the hypoallergenic filters when I talk to the DME on Monday. Dust is an issue where I live as well, so it might be worth looking into that regardless. Thanks for the tip.

The first comment from my girlfriend this morning was, "what the **** was your machine doing last night?" and she wears earplugs when she sleeps.
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-25-2015, 11:55 AM)Quila Wrote: The first comment from my girlfriend this morning was, "what the **** was your machine doing last night?" and she wears earplugs when she sleeps.

WOW.....that really surprises me! Mine is so quiet that sometimes when I wake up in the middle of the night I find myself waving my hand in front of my mask exhaust port just to assure myself that the machine is actually running because I can't hear the machine.

Really sounds like something is amiss !!
Post Reply Post Reply
Mine is quieter than my trial S9. I can barely hear it and it's 1 foot from my head. (And my hearing is fine.)

Take a noisy one back to the DME and have them listen to it. You do not want to sleep for 8 hours next to a constant whine sound. That will definitely degrade your hearing over time.
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-25-2015, 11:03 PM)trailrider Wrote: Mine is quieter than my trial S9. I can barely hear it and it's 1 foot from my head. (And my hearing is fine.)

Take a noisy one back to the DME and have them listen to it. You do not want to sleep for 8 hours next to a constant whine sound. That will definitely degrade your hearing over time.

It's definitely going back. I feel like I didn't sleep at all last night. AHI was only 0.5 which is definitely one of my lowest yet. The apneas aren't waking me up, the machine is.
Post Reply Post Reply
Yeah must be a defect. My AirSense 10 is extremely quiet. The most noise I hear is a slight "rushing air sound" in the humidifier chamber if I exhale particularly heavily. Otherwise its super silent. Almost too silent -- my wife's 12 yo Respironics unit was awesome at masking my tinnitus.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi,

I am new to CPAP therapy and was given an Airsense 10 Auto as a rental along with a Wisp Nasal mask.

I use SnoreLab app for my iPad to monitor my sleep noise and a fitbit to monitor my sleep activity. Anyway, I have been recorded noise and noticed that I am making a lot of noise while sleeping with this on. It's not snoring either.

I also notice that when I inhale, it makes a loud breathing sound - darth vader like. I hear it within the mask and also out of the filter port on the machine.

Some observations:
1. My app seemed to show less noise when my humidifier was fully loaded with water originally.
2. It got louder over next couple days.
3. It ran out of water last night, and I was too lazy to refill it, and the app recorded absolutely no sound, except when I turned over and my mask got loose and shot my eyes with air and recorded that and me being very annoyed. Smile

Anyway, I placed the CPAP machine on an Ikea cabinet door I got in their as-is section and attached caster wheels to it and rolled it under my bed. It at least muffles the noise from the machine, but the noise coming from the mask is still loud.

Any help or suggestions? I tried using two different sizes and while the larger size seemed to be quieter (a little bit), it also was very uncomfortable, so I went back to a size L (from XL).
Post Reply Post Reply
@AlanE: My new Airsense 10 (about 3 weeks old) has made a flappy noise too, which I think is the same one you are describing. I poked down on the square rubber flap on the top of the water reservoir (several times), and it stopped and stayed stopped for the whole night. It came back one other night, and the same cure fixed it.

If it keeps coming back, I may have to take that rubber seal off and see what's up. It doesn't appear to be a seal I am meant to use -- water doesn't get poured into there, or anything. But that's definitely where *my* noise was coming from, and it was a very definite thump / flap noise on inhale / exhale. It was quite annoying to me, because otherwise I can't even tell when the machine is on, and like another commenter, I have to put my hand in front of my face to see if there is air there (and even that isn't a strong clue, with the air dispersion screen on my P10 nasal pillows).

This noise is bad enough to make me give up on using the humidifier (I only started using it a week ago*) and to consider buying a side-plate to close off the side, instead. So yeah --- that noise has got to be solved! Fortunately, so far, poking at that flap has stopped the noise.

*and in fact I'm wondering if the humidifier has given me this head cold!

bgDeb
Post Reply Post Reply
If it's a rental unit, the water tub probably got cleaned out and something is amiss. There are two types of tubs: dishwasher safe (multi-patient use) and not dishwasher safe (single patient use). If the wrong one was put in the dishwasher/industrial washer, the heat might have warped the container and/or seal. Or it wasn't put back together properly after a deep cleaning.

So now we need a Resmed note to file: In case of flappy sound, take the water tub back to DME for a check, or a replacement tub.
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-05-2015, 02:01 PM)antdroid Wrote: I also notice that when I inhale, it makes a loud breathing sound - darth vader like. I hear it within the mask and also out of the filter port on the machine.

Some observations:
1. My app seemed to show less noise when my humidifier was fully loaded with water originally.
2. It got louder over next couple days.
3. It ran out of water last night, and I was too lazy to refill it, and the app recorded absolutely no sound, except when I turned over and my mask got loose and shot my eyes with air and recorded that and me being very annoyed. Smile

Anyway, I placed the CPAP machine on an Ikea cabinet door I got in their as-is section and attached caster wheels to it and rolled it under my bed. It at least muffles the noise from the machine, but the noise coming from the mask is still loud.

I thought Darth Vader was sitting next to my bed watching me sleep for a while too.

I took my machine back to the DME and we tried another Airsense 10 that was new out of the box, but of course both machines seemed very quiet while I was there. However, the humidifiers were empty. You might be on to something there. I've only been filling my humidifier up to about a quarter since that's about how much water it uses overnight. I'll fill it up to max tonight and see if that makes a difference.

The noise hasn't been bothering me as much lately. I'm not sure if it's actually quieter or if I'm just getting used to it, but it doesn't wake me up anymore and I've been sleeping well.
Post Reply Post Reply
I had my humidifier setting on manual and set it to 1 last night to see how it went and it was apparently really quiet. I could still hear a little noise breathing in and out, but my girlfriend said it was quiet and faint, and my ipad app didnt pick up any noise at all. It was originally set at auto humidity but i was getting some condensation on my mask which annoyed me so i turned it down to 1 and it was much better and apparently not noisy!

I still have my machine tucked under my bed though, and I can hear it a tad bit but I can probably dampen the sound even more if I wanted to.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Resmed Airsense 10 time to return to low pressure setting jfchap 3 114 04-13-2024, 03:54 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
Angry ResMed AirSense 10 Burn Smell bsullivan 74 26,863 04-11-2024, 09:33 PM
Last Post: her.suit
  Extremely high CA readings on the ResMed Airsense 11 Soleil211 1 121 04-08-2024, 11:37 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
Question New CPAP User - Help Please - ResMed Airsense 11 Autoset Pawpri 44 1,291 04-05-2024, 08:17 AM
Last Post: Pawpri
  Airmini noise question sfr79 38 21,131 03-20-2024, 09:22 PM
Last Post: Blausser
  Semi-permanently disabling modem in ResMed Airsense 10 Sleep87 109 68,078 03-19-2024, 11:27 PM
Last Post: ivanvargas1
Video [Equipment] Resmed AS10 Water Chamber Noise SOLUTION fixed it 0 179 03-18-2024, 12:36 PM
Last Post: fixed it

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.