Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Ear Surgery - Cannot use CPAP for weeks/months!? What should I do?
RE: Ear Surgery - Cannot use CPAP for weeks/months!? What should I do?
(08-08-2023, 08:24 PM)Sleeprider Wrote: If 8-cm of positive pressure (0.113 psi) would "blow-out" your new ear drum, just forget about sneezing or coughing or flying.  This is a doctor that clearly has no concept of what CPAP pressure really is.  CPAP is a very low pressure that stents the airway. It is not high pressure and is irrelevant to this surgery.

Yep, the surgery note also said all of these things - no sneezing, coughing or flying. This is an additional concern for me because the surgery is taking place during allergy season. Hoping to handle that through medication, but even still, no blowing the nose is going to be something else.

I'm hopping that it won't be as long as the max time. I think I could handle none of this for a couple of days, a week even, at least when I'm awake - how do you even prevent yourself from sneezing when you are asleep?
Post Reply Post Reply
You don't, and you also have to realize that obstructive apnea creates thoracic and upper airway pressure depending on the location of obstruction. Even though the airway obstructs, the effort to breathe increases and this causes significant negative pressure below the obstruction.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I just barely underwent the procedure and had my 1 week follow up. Yes it really is that delicate of a surgery and they do tell you to do whatever you can not to sneeze at all, try not to cough, I’m not even supposed to run or lift anything more than 30 lbs  and if you do have to sneeze to open mouth sneeze and sneeze through your mouth as much as possible. I’ve got moderate apnea and not using the cpap has impacted my mood and energy. My doc suggested I wait a week after surgery before using again which ended  2 days ago and I gotta say I still have not been able to wear it without the cpap pressure causing bad ear pain after only a minute or 2. I tried it twice now but it’s worse than the apnea for me. Good luck friends, seems like sleeping on an incline is just about all you can do. Kinda wish I had that inspire device in me to avoid having to worry about the pressure
Post Reply Post Reply
Id do what your doctor recommends
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Question Oscar Help - Analysis after 3 Weeks, Improvements! ef8mk 12 545 04-16-2024, 11:46 AM
Last Post: Dormeo
  Surgery questions sarahsleeps 8 186 04-16-2024, 10:01 AM
Last Post: coffee9724
  Talk me into or out of surgery BoxcarPete 37 2,164 04-15-2024, 01:24 PM
Last Post: sarahsleeps
  New car smell months later dkmk 4 264 04-15-2024, 08:02 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Rising AHI the last couple of weeks Brimstone 7 223 04-12-2024, 08:22 AM
Last Post: Brimstone
  [CPAP] Worsening OSA After Bariatric Surgery Ibrumley 8 238 04-02-2024, 09:13 AM
Last Post: SevereApnea
Question In the past 2-3 weeks, my AHI during afternoon nap rose to 20-40 tmrlhk 5 164 04-01-2024, 06:13 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.