Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[CPAP] Resmed S9 Autoset operation question
Resmed S9 Autoset operation question
Hi there.  New to forum.  First thread.  Have a Resmed S9 Autoset that i have been using for about 4 years now.  Issue i have with it is that it ramps up and stays at that pressure level.  Every morning I awake to the leaking of my mask.  I figured out how to adjust my maximum pressure on the unit, have tightened the straps on my nasal mask to the point that they are too uncomfortable too sleep in.  Have gone from nasal pillows to a nasal mask.  A couple of times I have unplugged my machine for the day and it seems to be better for a few days before returning to its maximum pressure setting.  I have even had the machine replaced only to find the second machine doing the same thing.  Sleep disorder company I purchased the unit from keeps telling me everything is working fine.  Is this normal operation of the machine?  I thought it was suppose to raise and lower pressures as required and not just ramp up and stay there.   Waking up from having enough sleep is something I thought i would have with this machine.  Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Notenoughsleep
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Resmed S9 Autoset operation question
First, you can get great information on your machine by downloading the CPAP Setup Manual from the link at the top of this page. It has information on the settings and how to interpret the events you might see. Second, you could use the free #Sleepyhead software and really identify what is going on. #Sleepyhead will give you high resolution, detailed data that will explain why pressure increases or not, and will give us a clue why you are not feeling relief.

Finally, if you want guidance on how to improve your results and comfort, we can help by interpreting your #Sleepyhead data. Just post it as shown in the first two links in my signature. I'm sure we can help you to optimize your results and get comfortable. If your mask is leaking, you probably have the wrong one, or the wrong size. As long as the air is not escaping from your mouth, the Airfit P10 Pillows mask is the easiest to get a good seal and minimal discomfort. If leaks are because air is exiting your mouth, then you need a full face mask. Tightening the straps is nearly always the wrong solution. Your mask should seal well with minimal pressure, and your air pressures are not that high. All of this would be made clear from the data.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi notenoughsleep,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
Good luck as you continue CPAP therapy, hang in there for more responses to your post.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
Couple things in my profile that I need to update but can not figure out how to do them.  I will list them here.  I use a Airfit N10 Nasal mask.  Resmed S9 Autoset with humidifier and heated tube is my machine.  Looks at the settings this evening.  Mode is "Autoset", maximum pressure 8.4, minimum pressure is 5.0.  ramp is 10 min, Start pressure is 4.2, EPR is full time, EPR level is 3, Leaks are at 22 litres/min.  Machine still waking me up every morning due to air leakage from mask.  Any advise on if this machine is working properly or ways I could check things would be greatly appreciated.
Post Reply Post Reply
G'day notenoughsleep.

You can edit your profile via the user control panel. At the top right of each screen is a link to "User CP". Once in the control panel, there is a menu on the left side, with one option being "Edit profile".

If your maximum pressure is 8.4, it's not surprising that the machine is staying there most of the night, as it not an extremely high pressure. When you take the EPR into account, the effective pressure to splint your airway is only 5.4 (8.4 - 3 = 5.4). It's quite likely that you need a higher effective pressure.

However that is an educated guess - I recommend you install #SleepyHead and post some charts here so that we can see exactly what's going on.
Post Reply Post Reply
Just downloaded sleepyhead.  Great info but having difficulty understanding it.  How to you post charts?

notenoughsleep
Post Reply Post Reply
To organise your charts to get the most useful information, see here: http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...ganization

To upload your charts to the Imgur image sharing service and link them, see here: http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...pnea_Board

Hope this helps.
Post Reply Post Reply
(08-28-2017, 11:41 PM)notenoughsleep Wrote: Just downloaded sleepyhead.  Great info but having difficulty understanding it.  How to you post charts?

notenoughsleep

Start by pressing the F12 key to take a screenshot which will be saved in My Documents/Sleephead/Screenshots.  Drag and drop to a free Imgur account.  The links suggested by Deepbreathing are the same ones in the first two links in my signature, and is a very complete tutorial for organizing and posting images.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Question New CPAP User - Help Please - ResMed Airsense 11 Autoset Pawpri 17 339 Yesterday, 07:47 AM
Last Post: Old Steve
  Need help with Airsense 10 AutoSet JonUK 2 104 03-25-2024, 06:11 PM
Last Post: JonUK
  ResMed S9 AutoSet and OSCAR - Help Appreciated Slippy 12 462 03-16-2024, 08:56 AM
Last Post: Slippy
  ResMed Airsense 10 AutoSet and Oscar Bucktilley 4 210 03-05-2024, 04:41 PM
Last Post: Bucktilley
Grin [Equipment] JOY! I've been swapped to a ResMed AirSense 10 AutoSet (from a SEFAM S.Box) dbcpap 9 1,239 02-12-2024, 08:41 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Resmed Airfit P30i Nasal Pillows Mask Leak Question fuzz 2 482 01-25-2024, 03:10 PM
Last Post: fuzz
Question Resmed Autoset 10 buzzing noise - what now? mogulman 8 593 01-16-2024, 11:42 AM
Last Post: BoxcarPete

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.