Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[CPAP] Some advice [MarkC]
RE: Some advice [MarkC]
Better again last night, just over 4 1/4 hours. I did notice I had a face mask leak spike before the Hypopnoea so not sure if such a thing can cause an event or if after getting an event you generally experience a leak as the pressure increases? I guess it's one of those chicken and egg questions?

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
There is no way we can perform a mask fitting while we are in a sleep state, when our muscles are relaxed that much. We attempt to mimic it by lying down in sleeping position to get the best approximation that we can. So yes, higher pressure can cause a mask leak.

That said many users tighten their masks too much, and as such actually cause leaks. Read the Mask Primer linked in my signature to learn much about masks.
Post Reply Post Reply
Many thanks Bonjour. I did read a thread on apneaboard about using a soft neck collar while sleeping and I have found that to be very helpful at reducing the amount my mouth opens, face slackens and hence leaks happen. It has the added advantage of keeping you warm during winter.   

More events for me last night even though I continued to keep the mask on for nearly 5.5 hours so I do appear to be moving in the right direction although I am sure this will fluctuate with time.

Post Reply Post Reply
The trouble here is that your numbers are excellent, that is except for your time of use.

You get several hours in then you take off the mask.

Be very specific on why you are removing the mask and waking up. Go to the point of writing your thoughts as soon as you wake and remove the mask.  It is what you say that will help the most.

Your charts are not presenting a clue.  For now only, provide additional screen shots so we can see all the charts just looking for something (low probability).  Provide a 2-minute zoomed shot of the flow rate in the middle of your normal sleep and another at the end when you wake up.

Make sure that your mask is not too tight.  Watch the manufactures video on how to fit your mask.
Use your CPAP for some time before you sleep.  Read a book, watch TV, play games on your phone, anything you enjoy.  The idea is to teach your body that CPAP is a good thing and it is normal, practice makes perfect.
Post Reply Post Reply
Bonjour,
    it's amazing when someone tells you to think how you feel when you wake up it is possible to remember but normally I don't feel I am aware of how I feel immediately after waking. Anyway I tried what you said two nights ago and here are the results. When my sleep study happened it was very obvious on that occasion that the number of events really changed drastically during the time when I am sleeping on my back. I now try to sleep solely on my side with a side pillow.

When I woke yesterday I realised my mask was leaking from the side of my mouth. It felt like my face had really relaxed and lying on my side the lower side of the mask moved away from my face and so I woke. Not sure if this happens every night but it did happen then.

The other weird thing was my flow rate early in the sleep almost looks non existent. As I have said I do use a soft neck collar but perhaps I have the wrong size as the velcrose strap always feels as if it is at its tightest setting and there still appears to be a small gap between collar and neck. The collar feels comfortable so I am thinking the tighter the better to stop my face going too loose?

I have added the normal image plus the two minute flow rate ones also .

Thanks one again,
Mark

Post Reply Post Reply
The first zoom is perfectly normal breathing.
The second zoom looks like tossing and turning before you wake up. No reason for that is evident. Why didn't you put the mask back on and restart?
Post Reply Post Reply
Maybe simply become a habit of removing when waking but I feel something making me feel uncomfortable so I want to remove mask. I will try standing up, resetting and starting over again this evening.  Maybe that way I will feel what I felt in the morning. I never remember dreams so trying to remember why I removed a mask maybe in the same category.

Many thanks bonjour.
Post Reply Post Reply
I think the mask as you said Bonjour maybe the issue. What has happened in the past is that if I feel a leak then I have jiggled the mask a little to form a seal and then continued but I think that is not sufficient. What I did last night as I suggested trying before was to remove the mask completely and then resit the mask. Of course that leads to some gaps in readings through the night but gets me much closer to the ultimate goal of prolonged use of the mask.

I have noticed that the AirFit F20 now has a memory foam option and am thinking about trying that

https://www.resmed.com/epn/en/consumer/p...h-f20.html 

I have never really tried to use a nasal mask as I have a slightly deviated septum. 

Maybe I will search the forum to see if people have tried the memory foam option. Anyway attached are my results from last night and the machine is showing 0.0! in the overall results which I am hoping is simply a sort of warning to say something may have happened to the machine as I have seen nothing.

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  New- CA CA-Tired help with settings advice jenjabba 8 163 Yesterday, 01:03 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  New to CPAP, looking for guidance and advice iamJB 14 248 Yesterday, 12:33 PM
Last Post: Expat31
  New Here, Been using OSCAR, Need Advice Regarding Adjustments FrankReality 26 849 03-26-2024, 01:49 PM
Last Post: FrankReality
  [Pressure] Advice on pressure adjustments akarifur 43 1,777 03-25-2024, 08:58 PM
Last Post: Uzupan
  [Pressure] Looking for advice about ASV settings rosebladepat 7 143 03-15-2024, 07:12 PM
Last Post: rosebladepat
  [Treatment] Looking for Advice jlacassin 0 76 03-15-2024, 03:51 PM
Last Post: jlacassin
  [Treatment] CPAP to Bilevel advice kkjacks 21 783 03-12-2024, 01:33 PM
Last Post: kkjacks

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.