Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Started CPAP need help!
Started CPAP need help!
Hello, I’m writing because like many other’s I’m having a terrible time adjusting to my cpap. It’s been six weeks since I started and it’s taken two days to find a moment of energy to write this. I hope this post is not to long and rambling but I to tired to write coherently.

I’m 51, 6’2, 176lbs male. I’m in good shape. I run, hike and until recently generally have a lot of energy.

About two years ago I started snoring which kept my wife awake. I also started noticing that I was not feeling as rested after 7-8hrs of sleep as I use to feel and was wanting to sleep late more often. I mentioned this to doctor and she sent me in for a sleep test.

The result of the test was moderate sleep apnea 18 AHI and a cpap was recommended. I was surprised but after reading how bad sleep apnea can be for ones health I was grateful that there is solution.

I was handed a  Resmed 11 and a P30i nasal mask with very little direction about what to expect or even on how to use it and sent home. I was not even told that I needed to keep my mouth shut. I discovered that myself online some days later. I’ve quickly realized that I am going to have to manage this myself as my sleep clinic has not been very helpful.

Needless to say I’ve been having a hard time sleeping with the mask. I’ve had rainouts, leaks, sore nose, etc. Slowly I’m learning to to mitigate these things thanks to all CPAP boards and reddit.

I have used my cpap almost every night over that last six weeks from 4-7 hours.  I’ve taken a a few nights off. I do feel a bit more rested when I take a break, even half a night off. My AHI fluctuates from 5-11. Leaks are all over the place. One night the medium cushions work and the next night I can’t get a seal and have to us the large ones. I have the mask on loose that helps but I get a lot of leaks. I just got some mouth tape hopefully that will help. The leaks is really what keeps me up. My cpap was set 5-9 and recently changed to 7-12 by my Dr.

I plan on getting Oscar in the coming days and using it and also plan on trying some different masks. I’m determined to master this thing.

The main thing I’m concerned about today in the crushing fatigue I’m experiencing since starting CPAP.

Prior to CPAP I had some trouble waking up and would usually crash at around 10am experiencing fatigue and difficulty focusing. I would not usually need to nap but it I did it would help. I also found myself wanting to go bed at around 8pm. A few years ago my wife had a hard time getting to get to bed by 11pm.

Since starting cpap I have to nap 1-2 times a day. At first naps helped but now I only nap around 15-20mins but still feel exhausted and lay in bed to tired to move. More exhausted than sleepy.

In short, the exhaustion/sleepiness has gotten worst and worst. I actually have many of the symptoms  that I read that people who suffer from severe sleep apnea have. Wanting to fall asleep driving, cognitive issues, feeling weak, headaches malaise  etc. I have a 5 year old and I’m struggling managing her care. The other day I had a friend drive her to school for I felt unsafe driving.

Yesterday I was starting to think that maybe there is something else wrong with me. Fortunately I had a full physical a month ago with blood work and at that point everything was normal.

The main thing I’m concerned about today, right now, is the crushing fatigue I’m experiencing since starting CPAP.  Is this sort of fatigue normal for someone who are just starting out with CPAP? Is it normal to feel SO much worst even six weeks into cpap treatment. My sleep doctor told me it often gets worst before it gets better. I don’t think it can get much worst and I’m thinking of taking 3-4 days off Cpap to catch up even it have sleep apneas.

Any input would be appreciated!
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Started CPAP need help!
I started CPAP Therapy in early Sept. of 2018. My general physician recommended a sleep study be done. I did so, and lo & behold, I was in need of therapy.  Rolleyes

I took to it from the very 1st night w/o any issues or problems. No problem adapting at all. It didn't seem to make a difference. After a little over three years, I gave up on it. I'm 68 and seem to be doing fine w/o it. 

My #'s were good and my mask fit fine, after a little trial & error with others. 

My equipment is now all tucked away. I have a ton of new extra supplies that my DME supplier sent me. I have three large storage tubs full. 

Anyways, I retired back in 2010, so if I feel a bit tired, I take a power nap. That.....works wonders. 

My suggestion is to give it some more time, and see if the therapy improves any. I got tired of wasting time after three years, so I quit it. Everyone is different and your mileage will vary. 

Stick with it for a while, and I wish you the best of luck in your endeavors.  Smile
Post Reply Post Reply
I didn’t have the fatigue when I first started. The thing that help me the most to get comfortable with the therapy was actually getting the minimum pressure close to my average pressure.

I am sensitive to fluctuating pressures. I zeroed in on that pressure real quick with Oscar.

The next mission was to find a mask I could tolerate. I now have a box full.

I suggest you hurry up and get Oscar and get a few nights of use and post those charts.

The experts here will give you some great suggestions on settings. Keep all you post on this thread going forward so all your info will be in one spot. Hang in there.
Post Reply Post Reply
I started therapy July 2015 with an AS10.  Before treatment I had to nap several times a day often within hours of waking.  After treatment I find it hard to get a afternoon nap because I'm very rested.

I originally received a ResMed FX mask.  It blew air on my eyes, arm, and chest.  Got a ResMed P10 that I love.

When I discovered OSCAR September 22 I noticed I had high Large Leak rates throughout the night.  So, I placed a pad of paper and a pencil next to bed and whenever I woke I recorded the time and position (left or right side).  In the morning I correlated my log with OSCAR and discovered I had more Leaks on my left side!  So, next night when I woke I tried to determine if anything was different when I was on my left vs right side.  Well, for some reason I positioned my face such that me P10 was on the edge of the pillow and when on my right side the P10 was cradled by the pillow.  On my left side the pillow would push the metal frame up and open up the mask/nose gap.  So, I consciously made sure the P10 was cradled by the pillow and my leaks have all but disappeared.  

Thanks you OSCAR
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-24-2023, 02:20 PM)bmjnyc Wrote: ....... I don’t think it can get much worst and I’m thinking of taking 3-4 days off Cpap to catch up even it have sleep apneas.

It will get worse if you don't try to stick with this.  By going off Cpap for a few days and then going back on is going to make it even harder to adapt.

Although, it's definitely not easy to acclimate especially if your mask leaks or just doesn't fit right.  Even small leaks can disrupt your sleep.  

Many here use tape as it seems to help.

Read through the "mask primer", you may find some help there in fitting.  
http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...ask_Primer

I do think your AHI will improve once you find a mask that works for you.

There's many here who will help with more targeted advice, once you post some data.

Please follow the link below in my signature line on Organizing a graph and posting it here.
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks all for you replies! I will get Oscar up and running and post my info.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Just getting started, looking for an OSCAR data review mattcole3 3 107 04-12-2024, 12:56 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  Recently started CPAP -- very high proportion of Clear Airway Events matt2 0 174 03-17-2024, 02:48 PM
Last Post: matt2
Question [Symptoms] New CPAP User, Started Snoring Again heyou 30 1,693 03-02-2024, 11:00 AM
Last Post: heyou
  started to get a lot more centrals, questions airwaystent 3 274 03-02-2024, 10:19 AM
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza
  [CPAP] Started to feel good, then woke up feeling HORRIBLE TiredDude 4 840 02-15-2024, 04:26 PM
Last Post: TiredDude
  [Pressure] I just started apap therapy 3 weeks ago and I feel worse.Should I change settings? AndreiChivu 1 356 02-03-2024, 08:08 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
Question Started CPAP treatment - Would like advice on my sleep study and OSCAR information Mythique 27 2,876 01-16-2024, 05:38 PM
Last Post: BoxcarPete

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.