Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

CPAP Stuffy Nose Spray
CPAP Stuffy Nose Spray
I have had a stuffy nose the last two weeks using CPAP. I have been increasing the temperature and humidity to improve this, but without luck. I know the drawbacks of Afrin (Oxymetazolone).

I was reading that in some cases a doctor prescribes a med to keep the nasal passages open. My doctor suggested I use Flonase (Fluticasone). Does anyone have thoughts on Fluticasone? What are the alternatives? What are the advantages and drawbacks?
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: CPAP Stuffy Nose Spray
Welcome

I use the active ingredient of Flonase in a spray.  ( Fluticasone Propionate 50mcg) 
I buy it on Amazon, and get about 5 little spray bottles for about $25

It’s been a lifesaver for me. After my shower during the evening, one spray in each nostril and I’m good to go. Clear nasal passages the rest of the night.

Follow the directions to start and do it every night.  It takes a few days to work when you first start, so be patient.      It’s also safe to use every night.
Post Reply Post Reply
I keep generic Flonase around and use it regularly during allergy season. There is no problem with routine use and few if any adverse affects. It reduces inflammation and helps free-up sinus passages, I often recommend fluticasone propionate. It can take up to a week to be fully effective, but has no withdrawal or effects like Afrin.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Flonase (Fluticasone Propionate by prescription) is for allergies.  It takes it up to 2 weeks to begin working to desensitize nasal passages from allergens.  I've used it for over 20 years some degree of success.

Azelastine HCI (prescription) is a nasal spray that will open up the nasal passages and clear them out.  Unlike OTC sprays, I was informed by a doctor that this product is okay to use daily.  I use it twice a day and it works but it is not pleasant how it works.

Within a few minutes after a couple of sprays I have to take action to remove what it breaks loose from the sinuses which includes a snorting sound and expulsion out the mouth of what was clogging up the nasal passages.  Ah...can breathe for a while.  I have also used this med for over 20 years and it has been really, really good if one does not mind the clearing process.
I only give suggestions from experience as a fellow CPAP user, not professional advice.
Post Reply Post Reply
I have used generic Flonase successfully for many years. I use it all year, without respect to what season it is, allergies or not. My doctor told me it is safe for long-term use and it has not caused me any side effects. I buy it from Costco in a box containing five of the sprayers. Their name for it is Aller-Flo. It's the cheapest I have seen.
Machine:  ResMed AirCurve 10 Vauto
Mask:  Bleep DreamPort Sleep Solution
Post Reply Post Reply
I believe that Flonase is a steroid and I am leary of steroids. It is possible to have steroid-induced diabetes and steroid-induced osteoporosis among other things.
Post Reply Post Reply
Bogota79, you might want to actually read about the side effects of fluticasone propionate rather than suggesting scary possibilities you have no clue about. https://www.webmd.com/drugs/2/drug-77986...al/details
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I use flonase and Nasonex , one or the other never had a issue . If anything I prefer the flonase. 

Have you used a nasal irrigation ? Like nuvage ,netti pot , neilimed ? That's drug free and does a good job as well
Post Reply Post Reply
I haven't used drugs to open my dinky nasal passages since my daughter turned me on to a neti pot.  That and/or a different mask with the use of nasal dilators like Mute or the Hale Breathing device may help.  I have both of those devices and occasionally use them under my N30 mask.  External nasal strips which you can use with your current mask will probably help as well.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Horrible chemically burned bacon smell in nose after water reservoir runs dey icashootnstar 13 1,805 03-18-2024, 09:39 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Staph Infection in Nose: Phaleronic 5 193 03-13-2024, 02:15 AM
Last Post: Snackers
  nasal decongestants helpful with stuffy nose? sleepingbetterinFl 1 145 03-12-2024, 12:23 AM
Last Post: Snackers
  AirFit F20 Irritating Nose Bridge SavvApnea 40 6,964 03-10-2024, 01:38 PM
Last Post: TechieHippie
  Nasal massage and exercises to help nose breathing sleepingbetterinFl 1 170 03-06-2024, 11:11 PM
Last Post: OpalRose
  Can flow limitation stem from congested nose with nose mask? 40plus 11 645 01-29-2024, 10:22 AM
Last Post: BoxcarPete
  Airtouch F20 nose irritation artg 4 463 01-10-2024, 06:45 AM
Last Post: artg

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.