Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[CPAP] Took the Red pill, now my journey begins.
Took the Red pill, now my journey begins.
I was diagnosed with severe sleep apnea OSA on 02/27/20. My AHI was 34.7. My doctor's office did not feel that it was necessary to inform me of my diagnosis until I asked at the end of May 2020. The sleep study center wanted me to come back in in early June to do a titration. Having started to read these forums, and having some apprehension due to COVID-19 I declined to do the titration. At my request after telling her my issues and the fact that an APAP machine would auto titrate my doctor gave me a prescription for a ResMed Airsense 10 autoset. This was somewhat ironic, in that my insurance company would not approve the second titration study and suggested an APAP devise. I procured a slightly used (40 hours) ResMed Airsense 10 autoset recently. I am running with a heated hose, an Amara View hybrid mask with the following settings:

Pressure Minimum=8
Pressure Max=15
EPR full time=3
Humidity 2-4
Ramp=Off
Smart Start=On

My AHI has dropped to 1-2. I will attach some OSCAR screenshots as soon as I can though I have had some issues due to the noon daily "new day" time. I work 12 hour rotating shifts and frequently sleep between the hours of 8 am and 3 pm. I am trying a workaround for this issue by setting my clock in the machine ahead by 6 hours. This makes the noon time actually be at 6pm at a time that I am rarely ever sleeping. I just did this today and will upload some charts after a few days. I will be attaching a redacted sleep study report and would greatly appreciate any suggestions. I moved my minimum pressure up because I like the additional pressure. As far as the OSCAR screenshots how many days should I wait before posting?

Thank You

For some reason my sleep study attachment did not show up I will try to attach it here.

Attached Files
.pdf   SleepStudy_02-17-2020.pdf (Size: 123.06 KB / Downloads: 39)
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Took the Red pill, now my journey begins.
Hi zabe,
Go ahead and post a couple OSCAR screenshots. This way, you will receive more responses once we see some data.
Follow the links in my signature line for guidance.
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Here a couple of OSCAR screenshots. Don't pay attention to the time because I had to set the time ahead so the machine doesn't split all my sleep files when I am sleeping after night shift.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
Welcome to the forum Zabe.
The settings in your OP are fine, those in y7our two screenshots are different
Min Pressure should be >= 4 + EPR setting (or higher) To allow the EPR to fully do what it does. 8 is good.

Your Sleep Study showed an AVERAGE O2 Sat number of 88% That number requires supplemental oxygen overnight. Don't panic, because CPAP Therapy should raise that to acceptable levels. Just in case you should get a Pulse Oximeter (OSCAR compatible, see the oximetry wizard in OSCAR), and verify this (everyone is assuming your levels are good with a CPAP). Oxygen levels are also important for the COVID-19 so it doesn't hurt to have, just in case.
Post Reply Post Reply
I ordered the CMS-50D+ Oximeter. If my oxygen levels return to more acceptable values on CPAP can i ditch wearing the Oximeter every time I sleep and just monitor it on occasion?
Post Reply Post Reply
Either way, you need to only wear it occasionally. This would give your doc a reason to officially monitor you overnight and then take action. You should be good though.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thank you, I appreciate the help.
Post Reply Post Reply
Here is last nights chart with oximeter data. I also included a zoomed in chart which shows a typical CA. To my untrained eye it looks like I take a large breath, don't breath for over 10 seconds, and then resume normal breathing. All but the last CA on the chart look similar. I upped my pressure for comfort and because my average pressure was above 10.4. I feel rested. How does it look and any ideas for improvement?

Post Reply Post Reply
If it isn't too much trouble, I would like to see what is going on with a zoom-in at two times: 2035 and 2132.  Please zoom in just enough that we get a good look at those times, plus about two minutes on either side.

Thank-you.
Post Reply Post Reply
Here they are. I captured 2037 there was nothing going on at 2035.

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  MrIvanDrago - CPAP|Bi-PAP Therapy Journey MrIvanDrago 67 3,330 03-26-2024, 01:22 PM
Last Post: MrIvanDrago
  Journey to cure UARS. OSCAR data attached gzaw 5 928 03-19-2024, 03:39 PM
Last Post: BoxcarPete
  CPAP journey start - please help (thread) Negligee1136 48 4,274 01-29-2024, 03:54 AM
Last Post: zaienk
  Dr. Steven Park details his UARS journey gainerfull 3 622 12-18-2023, 12:01 PM
Last Post: srwilsn3
  Twobigwheels - CPAP Therapy Journey Twobigwheels 34 1,202 11-27-2023, 09:55 PM
Last Post: Crimson Nape
  The Journey Begins - clearairways Therapy Thread clearairways 76 4,393 11-04-2023, 06:48 AM
Last Post: clearairways
  A few questions whilst I navigate my journey (masks/flow rate) Rebdr 11 803 10-30-2023, 02:17 AM
Last Post: Rebdr

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.