Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[CPAP] UARS, data interpretation OSCAR, what to do?
RE: UARS, data interpretation OSCAR, what to do?
(05-19-2021, 08:46 AM)SarcasticDave94 Wrote: Yep that is an ASV. Only the ASV has ASV and ASV Auto modes. This is one Sleeprider mentioned that treats Central and mixed Apnea, so what he said is correct.

so im screwed? theres nothing i can do with this machine?
Post Reply Post Reply
If I understood your explanation correctly, this is a trial machine, a loaner of some sort. Report to them that you're in need of a different model ResMed as mentioned by Sleeprider. VAuto or AutoSet sounds like a good direction.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
You are in AU. It is incredibly hard and expensive to get a Resmed S9 VPAP Adapt Pacewave. It should not be hard to find someone that needs that machine, and that may be able to trade a S9 VPAP Auto or Aircurve 10 Vauto. Yours is the more valuable machine, but it is a ventilator. Alternatively contact Supplier #2 and have them quote a lightly used Aircurve 10 Vauto for shipment to AU. Their current pricing is under $800 USD, and shipping will add about $100.. You are already using the best settings possible, and your AHI is nearly zero. If that is not working for you, then that is as good as it gets with ASV. A VPAP auto will provide consistent pressure support throughout therapy rather than targeting minute vent like your ASV does.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-19-2021, 09:01 AM)SarcasticDave94 Wrote: If I understood your explanation correctly, this is a trial machine, a loaner of some sort. Report to them that you're in need of a different model ResMed as mentioned by Sleeprider. VAuto or AutoSet sounds like a good direction.

Yes. I can get another one but it's not always easy for some reason. so yea.

(05-19-2021, 09:09 AM)Sleeprider Wrote: You are in AU. It is incredibly hard and expensive to get a Resmed S9 VPAP Adapt Pacewave.  It should not be hard to find someone that needs that machine, and that may be able to trade a  S9 VPAP Auto or Aircurve 10 Vauto. Yours is the more valuable machine, but it is a ventilator. Alternatively contact Supplier #2 and have them quote a lightly used Aircurve 10 Vauto for shipment to AU.  Their current pricing is under $800 USD, and shipping will add about $100..  You are already using the best settings possible, and your AHI is nearly zero.  If that is not working for you, then that is as good as it gets with ASV.  A VPAP auto will provide consistent pressure support throughout therapy rather than targeting minute vent like your ASV does.

Why is the consistent pressure support better for RERAs than targeting minute ventilation?
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-19-2021, 09:18 AM)KingKongBingBong Wrote: Why is the consistent pressure support better for RERAs than targeting minute ventilation?

In my understanding, it's kind of for the same reason that antibiotics are good for bacterial infections and no good for viruses or fungal infections, which require their own antiviral or antifungal medications - different treatments are targeted at different things, with different underlying causes. You might get some relief with the wrong medication, but you probably won't get adequate results.

My understanding is (and I'm no expert) that not all sleep-disordered breathing has the same cause or response to different xPAP therapies. It's not a case of going from CPAP to BiPAP to ASV from ok to better to best. They just work in different ways, and support different disorders with different underlying needs.CPAP/APAP works great on OSA. BiPAP is better for other non-SDB respiratory issues (my father uses one for COPD), as well as perhaps better at managing RERAs and Flow Limitation and UARS, whereas ASV is great for central and complex sleep apnea. But they're not designed specifically to do everything the other types of machine do, and so probably aren't as effective as the correct machine with the most appropriate treatment algorithm.

I hope that helps (and I'm not getting things muddled!).
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-19-2021, 10:15 AM)Ratchick Wrote:
(05-19-2021, 09:18 AM)KingKongBingBong Wrote: Why is the consistent pressure support better for RERAs than targeting minute ventilation?

In my understanding, it's kind of for the same reason that antibiotics are good for bacterial infections and no good for viruses or fungal infections, which require their own antiviral or antifungal medications - different treatments are targeted at different things, with different underlying causes. You might get some relief with the wrong medication, but you probably won't get adequate results.

My understanding is (and I'm no expert) that not all sleep-disordered breathing has the same cause or response to different xPAP therapies. It's not a case of going from CPAP to BiPAP to ASV from ok to better to best. They just work in different ways, and support different disorders with different underlying needs.CPAP/APAP works great on OSA. BiPAP is better for other non-SDB respiratory issues (my father uses one for COPD), as well as perhaps better at managing RERAs and Flow Limitation and UARS, whereas ASV is great for central and complex sleep apnea. But they're not designed specifically to do everything the other types of machine do, and so probably aren't as effective as the correct machine with the most appropriate treatment algorithm.

I hope that helps (and I'm not getting things muddled!).

Why does Barry Krakow advocate foremostly for ASV then? What is his reasoning?
Post Reply Post Reply
An ASV works by stopping periods where you literally stop breathing by maintaining a constant minute vent by forcing a breath.

A BiLevel works by providing enough PS to normalize a flow limited breathform.

2 totally different tasks.
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-19-2021, 10:23 AM)KingKongBingBong Wrote: Why does Barry Krakow advocate foremostly for ASV then? What is his reasoning?

Unfortunately, I'm not inside his head, so I can't tell you his thought processes. Apology-2.
Post Reply Post Reply
BTW is there any way to assess machine-generated breaths?
Post Reply Post Reply
It's a manual process developed over time. Look in The Guide and optimizing therapy wiki articles for commented examples,. I'm always adding more.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Sad [Treatment] Struggling to treat UARS with BIPAP Humancyclone7 2 105 25 minutes ago
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza
  First night CPAP + OSCAR data Ostrich 1 46 3 hours ago
Last Post: Ostrich
  oscar data sleeper2460 0 57 Yesterday, 09:13 AM
Last Post: sleeper2460
  BiPAP Pressure for Possible UARS bertchintus 20 995 Yesterday, 03:24 AM
Last Post: SingleH
  Therapy Help - Possible UARS - REM jkossis 8 178 03-27-2024, 02:09 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  New user OSCAR data after one week Everlong 2 108 03-26-2024, 09:04 AM
Last Post: Everlong
  Current OSCAR Data Tylermdugan 0 72 03-26-2024, 07:06 AM
Last Post: Tylermdugan

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.