Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[CPAP] Unable to achieve lower than 15 AHI
RE: Unable to achieve lower than 15 AHI
(12-17-2017, 05:41 AM)hwka Wrote: Shin Ryoku: I apologise for taking so long to reply personally to your input. That was an interesting article...

Not at all, it was just a thought.  As someone who gradually reverted from mouth breathing to nose breathing after a long period of trying everything from MMA-style mouth guards to taping, I'm a big fan of trying to go that route.  At the same time, I know it isn't for everyone and realize that some people prefer and / or need a full face mask.
Post Reply Post Reply
Currently doing a titration test using a Dreamstation Auto CPAP on loan for 2 weeks.
Very mixed results at first - Min Pressure set too low at 6 cmH2O.
I set to 9 cmH2O.
So...
Dreamstation Auto
Min 9 Max 20 cmH2O
AmaraView mask
3 clear breaks due to very dry mouth.
At the 3rd break I had a lot of trouble re-establishing a good comfortable mask fit.
Despite using a FFM, general success now in nose breathing only.
Result: AHI 2.19
https://i.imgur.com/9ZF4fUil.png
Post Reply Post Reply
I'd use min pressure 8, I'd want my 95% a bit more than my median number. You are close to what a fixed pressure cpap would be. Not that fixed pressure is bad, a lot like it. This can be adjusted as you go.

It's all about mask fit, as well as the advice here, there are youtube videos on mask fit. There is also a mask fit function on the machine. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qaVDkgrRhDM
I would get the clinical manual for the dreamstation from the top of the page.

At this stage, I think you are getting enough cpap treatment pressure and the ahi is what it is. It may settle down over the 2 weeks, as your body adjusts.
mask fit http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...ask_Primer
For auto-cpap, from machine data or software. You can set the min pressure 1 or 2cm below 95%. Or clinicians commonly use the maximum or 95% pressure for fixed pressure CPAP, this can also be used for min pressure.
https://aasm.org/resources/practiceparam...rating.pdf
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks Ajack.
I have viewed probably every video and read any and all recommendations on ensuring a functioning mask fit.
Achieving the correct mask fit - comfortable with very minimal  leaks is not really a problem..
My particular problem is body movement during the night which causes the mask to move.
Regarding pressure : I was getting Sleepyhead "horrible,contact your doctor" AHI results using 6-7-8 cm H2O.
Recent good results have been at 9 or 10 cm H2O.
The downside of the higher pressure is a very dry mouth which I have never experienced until recently.
Very dry in my case being almost unable to open my mouth until I can get some water trickling in.
This is really concerning as I cannot see this continuing without eventual tissue damage of some kind.

I have downloaded the clinician's manual for this model.
I have made major advancements in transferring solely to nose breathing and am persevering with the FFM until this is firmly established, after which I hope to return back to the Nuance Pro Nasal mask which is much more comfortable.
I am also hoping that by overcoming mouth breathing the dry mouth problem will resolve itself as the nose is a natural humidifier.

Work in progress.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Frustrated as unable to get AHI's less than 5 and have difficulty sleeping. . rltarbu 21 810 03-19-2024, 10:25 AM
Last Post: rltarbu
  Feel worse on lower EPR even though AHI seems the same? LarkinM 10 324 03-14-2024, 10:53 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  Unable to exhale against nasal pillow pressure? jle323 10 4,857 03-04-2024, 11:40 AM
Last Post: Guerc13
  [Pressure] unable to find pressure settings on my cpap timoteo666 7 444 02-17-2024, 09:56 PM
Last Post: OpalRose
  Unable to keep mask throughout night Overdrawn 4 240 02-10-2024, 08:13 PM
Last Post: Overdrawn
  N20 mask: waking up unable to breathe acordeon 1 264 02-05-2024, 07:54 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  How can I lower my AHI? jstro84 26 2,476 01-13-2024, 12:13 PM
Last Post: jstro84

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.