Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[CPAP] Unique finding? Looking for recommendations and any expertise.
Unique finding? Looking for recommendations and any expertise.
Good day all!

I have been struggling with keeping my CPAP therapy consistent. It feels like I find settings that work great AHI 1-2.5, waking up feeling okay, not perfect, but okay. Then all of a sudden, without any apparent reason, I start seeing an AHI of 5-7 and wake-up feeling truly, horrific with extremely high level of brain fog and dizziness that last throughout the entire day. I am currently using a full face mask, Resmed Mirage Quattro. As this could appear to be positional apnea I have tried a cervical collar in the past, which did help my AHI, but had a few days of waking up feeling the worst I ever have, I fear maybe it was putting too much pressure on my arteries in my neck? Don't think that possible, but I woke up feeling very *BAD* and didn't think I had it on that tight.

One thing I notice which I have no explanation for and can't find any information regarding. The vast majority of my events I have are CA events, I would say 90+%, often clustered, and when my pressure is starting to decrease. I never get them at peak pressure while hitting my max after a small OA or flow limitation, always somewhere on the decline of pressure in which the pressure is decreasing, I get several. It's like a flow limitation or small OA sets it off. This is a bit contrary to what I think I know about high pressure causing CA's due to C02 flushing? As I show in Night #2 example. I have tried lowing my pressure and keeping the pressure minimum and max fairly close together, this does help AHI most days, but again I get an odd night that my AHI is around 5 with a lot of CA events, and I wake up feeling absolutely dreadful. I did use a smartwatch that actively monitored my Sp02, and it looked fine, lowest of 94%. So I have no dang clue! I do believe how I feel when I wake up is linked to how many CA events I have. No, an AHI of 5-7 isn't severe, but wow! When I wake up, it feels worse than If I didn't sleep. Seriously.

Looking for any recommendation that can help me find some stability in my treatment. I have tried so many different things and feel like I am failing. At this moment, I actually feel on an average basis I would be better without using my CPAP. Never feeling okay, but never absolutely dreadful, I have found this when I don't use it. Any recommendation would be highly appreciated. I do want this to work.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Unique finding? Looking for recommendations and any expertise.
My results are also inconsistent. I can have an AHI under 1 on one day and then be over 4 the next. It's very random, which makes it extra frustrating. I don't have any advice but...you're not alone.
Paula

"If I quit now, I will soon be back to where I started. And when I started I was desperately wishing to be where I am now."
Post Reply Post Reply
With CA on this auto CPAP, you can try EPR 2 since you're on 3 now. The concept behind the action is to make your CO2 exhalation (flushing) a bit less efficient. In turn that should reduce CA.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
The real question is: What has your sleep doctor recommended. Issues like this should be discussed with the appropriate doctor as there may be other factors that need to be addressed.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. 
ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.
Post Reply Post Reply
Maybe it would help if you raise both your lower and higher pressure settings up a bit. If it were me I would raise the lower setting to 10 and the higher to 15 and see how that goes. I would also follow sarcastic Dave's advice on the EPR setting.
Machine:  ResMed AirCurve 10 Vauto
Mask:  Bleep DreamPort Sleep Solution
Post Reply Post Reply
EPR at any level makes my centrals worse. It about doubles them, actually.
Paula

"If I quit now, I will soon be back to where I started. And when I started I was desperately wishing to be where I am now."
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Really struggling with finding source of problem/right settings theswerve 3 108 08-29-2024, 05:23 PM
Last Post: staceyburke
  Pulse oximeter recommendations? p123 71 5,026 08-22-2024, 07:33 PM
Last Post: UnicornRider
  Finding PAST pressure settings damondamondamon 2 136 08-22-2024, 01:47 PM
Last Post: Crimson Nape
  Setting adjustment recommendations arichman 1 211 07-30-2024, 06:40 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  [Diagnosis] Finding the right settings: Hyperventilation in new user CPAPhelpseeker 4 264 07-02-2024, 09:48 PM
Last Post: Jay51
Question Oscar Review and Setting recommendations kgtx 9 525 06-27-2024, 03:55 PM
Last Post: Big Guy
  Thoughts and recommendations? High CA? JonathanBravo 8 508 06-19-2024, 02:56 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.