Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

CPAP VS. APAP
CPAP VS. APAP
In which situations is Cpap more effective for someone to use rather than Apap?  Most people benefit from apap since it will change as your requirements change day to day. 
Thanks
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: CPAP VS. APAP
Here in the UK with the NHS (National Health Service) equipment is free so we get what is prescribed. There is nothing to stop anyone from buying it themselves if affordable, of course.

My 2 week home titration was with the APAP - Resmed Airsense 10 Autoset which I tolerated well. However I was then given the Elite Airsense 10 which is only CPAP. Initially it was a nightmare having cold wind blown at me through a FFM constantly at 16.8cm H2O. Now that the pressure has been much reduced to 10.8cm H2O through the nasal pillow, I am happy with my CPAP.

Apparently some are disturbed with the changing pressures of APAP and CPAP suits.
Sleepyhead in 5 easy steps
Beginner's Guide to SleepyHead

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
For me apap is more comfortable because you only get the high pressure when needed.
Post Reply Post Reply
(11-19-2017, 08:39 AM)yankees123 Wrote: In which situations is Cpap more effective for someone to use rather than Apap?  Most people benefit from apap since it will change as your requirements change day to day. 
Thanks

Most folk do benefit from Apap compared to Cpap.  The Apap will raise pressure only as needed, but a Cpap stays at the same pressure and if not set high enough will miss Apnea events.  Unfortunately,  you may not need to be at a higher pressure all night.

There are some that are very sensitive to changing and varying pressures, and wake up frequently due to the changing pressures, so using Cpap mode makes sense for a more restful night.  But that’s only if the Cpap pressure is set correctly, which would be around the 90% pressure reading.

One other reason that Cpap mode may be recommended would be if the person has complex Apnea and is not responding, so trying Cpap mode at a lower pressure “sometimes” helps until that person can receive a different machine suited to their needs...either Bipap or ASV.

Hope that helps...I may have missed something.
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
No very clear analysis.  I used to be on straight cpap, but find it more comfortable with apap.  Why be at a high pressure all night if not needed.
Post Reply Post Reply
I am on CPAP and used to be on APAP.  I wake up less with CPAP, or did at the time I changed over.  I have never tried going back.  All of us are different.  Some of us are more different than others.   Grin
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Headache, Brain Fog, Dizziness, Nausea after APAP Use geosyncline 24 3,204 04-10-2024, 10:17 PM
Last Post: jiyun
  APAP Titration Help Needed dosertg07 2 138 04-09-2024, 11:45 AM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  [Pressure] Sefam S Box APAP mode sudden failure Helentw 3 122 04-07-2024, 07:59 AM
Last Post: Helentw
  APAP to VAuto not going well snapperzz 6 217 04-05-2024, 09:15 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  [Health] RESMED APAP tuning sleeper2460 17 898 04-02-2024, 01:40 PM
Last Post: TechieHippie
  New APAP user looking for guidance on interpreting OSCAR Data MildOSAHighRera 8 636 03-30-2024, 05:52 PM
Last Post: MildOSAHighRera
  Issues with APAP WWYD FlyingUmbrella683 1 132 03-22-2024, 07:21 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.