Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[CPAP] Water and the different type of water
RE: Water and the differen type of water
Why is it that when I hear pink slime, I think of the gloop that is turned into McDonald's Chicken McNuggets?

Oh, and I have never had pink stuff growing in my humidifier.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I only use distilled water, the only reason being that it doesn't leave any mineral deposits in the tank. The only time I used tap water was when traveling in Switzerland last summer, and that's the only time I've ever had those white mineral deposits, easily cleaned out when I got home. Even though I'm sure I don't clean out the tank as often as I suppose I should Bag-head , I've never been plagued by slime, of the pink variety or otherwise.
Post Reply Post Reply
Ironically, when i started out, i used tap water, and frankly had no issues with it. Then i did some reading, and enough people said distilled that i went and bought a gallon. To be honest, i have noticed no difference in smell or residue, and will not bother with distilled while at home (like others, i will use bottled water when traveling, but only then). A quick vinegar rinse keeps it clean with no problems, and hey.. tap is always there when you settle in at night and realize you need to refill. Wink
Post Reply Post Reply
I have started using a refillable jug and go to the local Wally World, There is a machine that is made by Culligan that filters a gallon of water for .30 cents. I've had no problems whatsoever using this water. My tap water is too hard and I get white calcium build up easily, so I don't use my tap water.
Whatever works for you is best.
"Right wrongs nobody" 
Mountain Charlie McKiernan 
Post Reply Post Reply
I have also used a Zero Water pitcher for humidifier water. Zero Water is a reverse-osmosis filter that eliminates calcium hardness and dissolved solids as well as providing micro filtration and organic adsorption. I think it may be equal to any distilled you buy in the store.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(02-23-2018, 06:58 AM)Shift Worker Wrote: I have started using a refillable jug and go to the local Wally World, There is a machine that is made by Culligan that filters a gallon of water for .30 cents. I've had no problems whatsoever using this water. My tap water is too hard and I get white calcium build up easily, so I don't use my tap water.
Whatever works for you is best.

I suppose our Wally World has that available as well. I may consider doing this. 3 gallons for the price of 1 gallon currently. Yes I should do this.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
The primary reason for using distilled water is that it reduces mineralization covering the heating plate. Too much mineralization can affect how much humidity is getting to your nasal passages. There is no reason why you can't use tap or well water - you'll just have to demineralize every other month or so. If the water is good enough to drink, it's fine for your machine. A lot of people, my brother included, were led to believe that not using distilled water was detrimental to their health. This is NOT TRUE! It's only about making it easier to keep clean. IF you are camping and getting water from a lake or river, you definitely want to boil it first, but for people in N. America, whatever comes out of the tap is fine.
Post Reply Post Reply
I used distilled, my well water has to many minerals and I'm afraid it will leave a deposit or something. To the best of my knowledge (and with the help of google) its my understanding all alkaline has to do with is the PH of the water, how good its filtered I'm not sure, supposedly its rich in alkalizing compounds, including calcium, silica, potassium, magnesium, and bicarbonate.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Water and the different type of water
When I moved to this part of England from Scotland, it was hard to drink a cup of tea as it tasted so so different. Lots of clarified deposits are left in the electric kettle. I am now used to it and drink from the tap.

So what is good enough for my insides - stomach and gut - is good enough for my lungs. It is evaporated water after all.

I soak the humidifier tank in vinegar every week along with my masks. Think I am ok.
Sleepyhead in 5 easy steps
Beginner's Guide to SleepyHead

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Water and the different type of water
(02-24-2018, 09:45 AM)Apnea Infant Wrote: When I moved to this part of England from Scotland, it was hard to drink a cup of tea as it tasted so so different. Lots of clarified deposits are left in the electric kettle. I am now used to it and drink from the tap.

So what is good enough for my insides - stomach and gut - is good enough for my lungs. It is evaporated water after all.

I soak the humidifier tank in vinegar every week along with my masks. Think I am ok.

I drink iced tea all day also made with my well water but my water also leaves calcium stains in the siink ect that can be a pian to clean sometimes, dont really feel like having to deal with it in my CPAP machine. Heck minerals are good for our bodies and our stomach can handle a lot of stuff.  I love me some good chicken noodle soup & my stomach handles it fine but damned if I'd run it in my CPAP machine! Dielaughing
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  ResMed mask settings - what changes in each type? skypony 11 17,291 04-20-2024, 09:21 AM
Last Post: cps22
  CSpring Water Tank PAPAstro 8 2,111 04-12-2024, 10:16 PM
Last Post: dean406
  Not using water in AirSense 10 Elite Nishimark 2 164 03-21-2024, 12:47 AM
Last Post: Nishimark
Video [Equipment] Resmed AS10 Water Chamber Noise SOLUTION fixed it 0 218 03-18-2024, 12:36 PM
Last Post: fixed it
  Horrible chemically burned bacon smell in nose after water reservoir runs dey icashootnstar 13 1,949 03-18-2024, 09:39 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  CPAP toppled over/water issue Visitor 7 7,567 03-17-2024, 10:39 PM
Last Post: Willow85
  Suggestions for correcting class 6 flow type on Oscar Gugliano 5 330 03-03-2024, 09:03 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.