Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[CPAP] Why have CPAP lower than the bed?
Why have CPAP lower than the bed?
My CPAP sits on night stand that is level with bed. Am new at this...4 months.  For what reason should it be lower than the bed?
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Why have CPAP lower than the bed?
Placing the CPAP lower than the mattress level aids in preventing 'rainout". Rainout is a condition where the moisture in the CPAP supplied air condenses causing droplets of water to form in the hose and in the mask. The use of a hose hanger to suspend the higher than the patient is also recommended. Having the CPAP lower and the hose suspended higher will cause any rainout to fall back to the CPAP and not to the user.

I hope I explained it well enough.
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Attaching Images and Files on Apnea Board
Apnea Helpful Tips

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Crimson Nape explained the standard reason for the CPAP to be located lower than the bed. However, this is not necessary to eliminate rainout. My APAP is on my nightstand also, level with my head and I have never had rainout. Keeping the humidity low will help, but the main thing is how you route your hose. Keep it lower than your head by looping it down below the bed level for one idea. I have also routed my hose in the past where any water that may form due to rainout would just flow back into the machine's water tank and then route the remaining hose low where water would not naturally flow into your mask. 

It may just be easier to mount the machine below the bed as generally recommended, but as usual with medical stuff, there are usually other methods to accomplish the same thing. Just do what is best/easiest for you.
Post Reply Post Reply
I put mine below bed level only because it is quieter that way. I have the climate line tubing that prevents rain out so no need for that reason.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi Clapodie,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
Good luck with CPAP therapy, hang in there for more responses to your post.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Feel worse on lower EPR even though AHI seems the same? LarkinM 10 405 03-14-2024, 10:53 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  How can I lower my AHI? jstro84 26 2,569 01-13-2024, 12:13 PM
Last Post: jstro84
  Advise requested: Should I LOWER my pressure? Aknakon 21 1,169 12-22-2023, 08:25 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Can I lower the pressure? GaspForAir 11 964 12-11-2023, 08:31 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
Idea [CPAP] Lower AHI on firmer mattresses? Jeads95 9 664 10-26-2023, 01:58 AM
Last Post: ivorpetkov
  [Treatment] AHI lower than ever, still struggling in my late 20s davigalindo 31 2,564 10-18-2023, 10:25 AM
Last Post: davigalindo
  Raise Lower pressure setting crmarks4 10 961 10-09-2023, 09:45 PM
Last Post: staceyburke

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.