Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[CPAP] buying a CPAP from the US for use in Australia.
RE: buying a CPAP from the US for use in Australia.
(10-08-2014, 07:29 PM)zonk Wrote: I got the S8 power cord from Supplier #13, they,re in Queensland
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQB3SGzJ8pT3Y28UUWD2dZ...KV6dicqAHw]

What for $9? - Jaycar have them for $5.95. And you did say you get your supplies from #2 and #10

I got mine from my garage off an old inkjet printer. Oh, and that is in the ACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(10-09-2014, 06:06 PM)Skypilot Wrote: And you did say you get your supplies from #2 and #10
Yes I did, also said in post #3 "Machines are multi-voltage, you only need US/AU plug adapter or do what I do, get an Aussie S8 power cord (works with S9 and AirSense 10 power supply) from Supplier #13, I buy filters from them too and the rest of stuff from US"

Post Reply Post Reply
(10-07-2014, 04:09 PM)scottie199 Wrote: Hi there, I am just finishing my first month on a PAP trial and am using the new Resmed airsense 10 autoset, although for the latter part it has been switched to constant which I am fine with. My required pressure is 8.5 which seems lowish reading other users stats so constant might be more bearable. Have struggled with it to be honest but am getting there and averaging 5.5 hours now on the machine. Right now though I am in Aussie tax shock at the price of these machines locally compared to what I am seeing on US sites. I've read a few posts which suggests others have bought from overseas. Could anyone please provide some guidance or experience on buying overseas. A recommendation of site, delivery times and how the required prescription works for an overseas purchase would be a great help. Many thanks for your help in anticipation.

Hi Scottie & welcome Smile

I bought my AirSense AutoSet about a month ago from Supplier #10. Good experience, no prescription needed as it was not being delivered to a US customer, delivery took about 6 business days to get to me in Tassie & good tracking on the parcel. I got 2 masks & some other accessories at the same time to make the most of having to pay the freight. Very happy with my purchase. It was really simple to set the pressure range I was using and to change things like displaying settings in celsius, local time etc.

Goodluck!
Post Reply Post Reply
(10-07-2014, 04:09 PM)scottie199 Wrote: Hi there, I am just finishing my first month on a PAP trial and am using the new Resmed airsense 10 autoset, although for the latter part it has been switched to constant which I am fine with. My required pressure is 8.5 which seems lowish reading other users stats so constant might be more bearable. Have struggled with it to be honest but am getting there and averaging 5.5 hours now on the machine. Right now though I am in Aussie tax shock at the price of these machines locally compared to what I am seeing on US sites. I've read a few posts which suggests others have bought from overseas. Could anyone please provide some guidance or experience on buying overseas. A recommendation of site, delivery times and how the required prescription works for an overseas purchase would be a great help. Many thanks for your help in anticipation.

Hi Scottie, I echo the comments of Zonk & others. So far I have purchased 4 machines from Supplier #8. They are in Texas and apparently not affected by Resmed's ban on sending machines to AU. Their service is great, so are their prices. Shipping costs are the killer, but even so, by the time you get your new machine, it's less then half the price of the same machine here in Oz. They have a large range of SDB stuff & when I make a purchase, I tick the box marked "Prescription already on file". Here in Australia, all machines must be returned to the makers agent for any warranty claims & repairs. It makes no difference where you bought it.
Repairs (out of warranty) will cost approximately the price of a new machine purchased from the US. This was my experience with my old S8 anyway. For the AC cable & plug, I simply twisted the two parallel US tangs slightly with a pair of pliers until they fitted the angle our 3 pin power points (GPO's).

[Image: signature.png]Keep on breathin'
Post Reply Post Reply
(10-13-2014, 03:49 PM)woozie38 Wrote: [quote='scottie199' pid='86533' dateline='1412716171']
I simply twisted the two parallel US tangs slightly with a pair of pliers until they fitted the angle our 3 pin power points (GPO's).

Just go to Jaycar, dicksmith or even JB HIFI or any computer store and get the cable locally. Bending the pins is a very bad idea and is dangerous. (and if there are problems and it is determined you were using an illegally modified, unapproved plug/cord you would probably be up the creek without a paddle).
Post Reply Post Reply
(10-13-2014, 09:02 PM)Skypilot Wrote:
(10-13-2014, 03:49 PM)woozie38 Wrote: [quote='scottie199' pid='86533' dateline='1412716171']
I simply twisted the two parallel US tangs slightly with a pair of pliers until they fitted the angle our 3 pin power points (GPO's).

Just go to Jaycar, dicksmith or even JB HIFI or any computer store and get the cable locally. Bending the pins is a very bad idea and is dangerous. (and if there are problems and it is determined you were using an illegally modified, unapproved plug/cord you would probably be up the creek without a paddle).

The F&P icon doesn't have a removable cord. One would need to cut the existing plug off the cable and fit a new 3 pin plug - an unsightly job - my solution is better & safer, especially if one doesn't live in a city or town. (actually I live West of Toowoomba).
Post Reply Post Reply
Re the local prices; the system is a disgrace. I bought an S9 Resmed in Aus for over $2k, and recently saw one for around $800 US there. And Resmed are an Australian company!!
When I was using an S8, I bought a complete nasal pillows mask for a little more than the local price of the nasal pillows I was after. Fortunately using reshippers will allow you to buy from any US supplier for an extra $20-$40 fee.
Post Reply Post Reply
(10-13-2014, 09:09 PM)woozie38 Wrote: my solution is better & safer, especially if one doesn't live in a city or town. (actually I live West of Toowoomba).

Bending pins runs the risk of breaking the wires attached to the pins I dispute that it is safer or is it better to twist the pins.
Post Reply Post Reply
(10-13-2014, 10:31 PM)Skypilot Wrote:
(10-13-2014, 09:09 PM)woozie38 Wrote: my solution is better & safer, especially if one doesn't live in a city or town. (actually I live West of Toowoomba).

Bending pins runs the risk of breaking the wires attached to the pins I dispute that it is safer or is it better to twist the pins.
Well, be that as it may - I have done this with each of the four machines purchased from the US. Never been any problems. What you do is - hold the base of each pin with one pair of pliers then using another pair of pliers, gently twist the brass pin until the required angle is attained. In this way you avoid the possibility of damaging the pins, wires or shell of the plug.
Post Reply Post Reply
And using a plug rated for 115 volts on 240 volts -

woozie38 Said:-
" I have done this with each of the four machines purchased from the US. "

Still does not make it better, right nor safe.

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Pros/Cons of buying PAP at full price TwoFistedWonderBrain 14 700 02-24-2024, 10:39 AM
Last Post: TwoFistedWonderBrain
  REBATE on your Electricity bill [Australia] libster 0 173 02-05-2024, 07:27 PM
Last Post: libster
  Buying CPAP supplies online: who do you prefer? Hmm888 1 818 09-06-2023, 11:38 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
Question [Equipment] AirSense 11 app not supported in Australia aussiemark22 17 3,963 08-04-2023, 03:31 AM
Last Post: yuqinhuang
  Buying ASV online without a prescription books456 19 1,982 05-31-2023, 09:58 PM
Last Post: DevinJones
Question [Equipment] Buying Used ResMed "Floor Demo Model" - Limitations? tehsygi 11 1,083 05-29-2023, 03:14 PM
Last Post: Crimson Nape
  Quick Question - Worth Buying ASV If Tweaking CPAP Isn't Working? Apnea23 3 638 04-18-2023, 07:54 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.