Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[CPAP] buying a CPAP from the US for use in Australia.
RE: buying a CPAP from the US for use in Australia.
I would keep quiet about it, manufacturers might find a way stop their machines exported outside US

As for price fixing, ResMed been there and done that
https://www.accc.gov.au/media-release/ac...ic-limited
Post Reply Post Reply

Well it's clear that the problem actually lies with resmed then. I agree - an expose - not just on the rotting but also to draw attention to OSA would be in order.
Post Reply Post Reply
(11-11-2014, 02:31 PM)RipSnorter Wrote: Well it's clear that the problem actually lies with resmed then. I agree - an expose - not just on the rotting but also to draw attention to OSA would be in order.

Hi All, Yes, it's ResMed. A few years ago (2012) I wrote about high Australian prices for CPAP and the massive price differences to the then Minister responsible (The Treasurer), the ACCC, and the MD of ResMed. ResMed never replied. Finally, an adviser from the Assistant Treasurer's office replied after some months delay.... Basically saying the practice is called "international price discrimination". But the adviser said in effect, yes we aware of this - similar to some IT pricing, but at the end of the day it is up to the company's own policy ... quote: "Under the Competition and Consumer Act 2010 (CCA) firms are generally free to determine the price of goods and services". In summary, no action, take it or leave it, the company decides price. No mention in the response was made of the supplier agreements to prevent exports back to OZ.... Needless to say, disappointing - seems to be being ignored and nobody seems to want to take it on.
Post Reply Post Reply
(11-11-2014, 02:31 PM)RipSnorter Wrote: Well it's clear that the problem actually lies with resmed then. I agree - an expose - not just on the rotting but also to draw attention to OSA would be in order.
Hi RipSnorter,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
Best of luck to you with your CPAP therapy.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
(11-11-2014, 07:34 PM)BurrChi Wrote:

Hi All, Yes, it's ResMed. A few years ago (2012) I wrote about high Australian prices for CPAP and the massive price differences to the then Minister responsible (The Treasurer), the ACCC, and the MD of ResMed. ResMed never replied. Finally, an adviser from the Assistant Treasurer's office replied after some months delay.... Basically saying the practice is called "international price discrimination". But the adviser said in effect, yes we aware of this - similar to some IT pricing, but at the end of the day it is up to the company's own policy ... quote: "Under the Competition and Consumer Act 2010 (CCA) firms are generally free to determine the price of goods and services". In summary, no action, take it or leave it, the company decides price. No mention in the response was made of the supplier agreements to prevent exports back to OZ.... Needless to say, disappointing - seems to be being ignored and nobody seems to want to take it on.
Hi BurrChi,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
Yes it is disappointing when no one wants to take these types of things on.
Best of luck to you with your CPAP therapy.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
It's not only Resmed involved in this business plan. I recently purchased my F&P Icon from Supplier #8. By the time exchange rates & shipping were applied, the all up cost was half that of the same machine purchased here in AU. SO perhaps there are other manufacturers marketing the same way.
[Image: signature.png]Keep on breathin'
Post Reply Post Reply
From: Two for the price of one ! http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Thread-...5#pid90435

ResMed machines are made in Australia or Singapore
Australian serial numbers begins with 22 and Singaporeans serial numbers begins with 23
The next two numbers of the serial number is the year of manufacture

Aussies face the same problems and you can find few thread of Aussies vents their frustration

You cannot compare CPAP sales in Australia or Singapore to US CPAP sales, both are tiny in comparison. For every CPAP sold in US, another CPAP sold globally, give and take CPAP or two ... size does matter

Plus insurance in US is the main buyer of CPAP, they're huge and bigger than CPAP manufacturers and manufacturers cannot set prices more than what insurance prepared to pay for them ... again size does matter

3rd reason is something to do with the way businesses do business in US (American way), they've to play with rules. In Australia they set the rules, the consumer always pay and no questions asked
Post Reply Post Reply
I do not agree that sales of CPAP equipment in Australia, Singapore and the US cant be compared because of the size of the markets. The cost to manufacture a CPAP unit here in Australia is given, so why when that unit is exported to the US and then re-shipped back to Australia does it cost less than half the cost of buying the same item in Australia? That unit has the same base cost + shipping both to the US and back so it should cost more here in Australia. In other words the market is global but the manufacturers are distorting the relative prices in different countries to maximise profits. If the manufacturers applied the same policies here in Australia that they stipulate to re-sellers in the US (restrictions on exporting units from the US to other countries) they would be in breach of consumer laws.

Of course the insurance aspect in the US is making a difference to the price - that difference is competition!
Post Reply Post Reply
I don't think prices in US due to "competition", more to do with "price fixing" as shown in this thread posted by SuperSleeper

Philips-Respironics Pricing Policy
Thought this was an interesting read...

It's a PDF of Philips-Respironics' Pricing Policy for DMEs. Contains info such as:
US minimum advertised pricing policy (MAP Policy)
US advertising policy
End-user only sales policy for US
http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Thread-...ing-Policy

Post Reply Post Reply
Definitely price fixing. Their excuse for not wanting US agents to sell to Australia is to protect the locals. If we publicise the issue Resmed will definitely close the loophole.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Pros/Cons of buying PAP at full price TwoFistedWonderBrain 14 698 02-24-2024, 10:39 AM
Last Post: TwoFistedWonderBrain
  REBATE on your Electricity bill [Australia] libster 0 173 02-05-2024, 07:27 PM
Last Post: libster
  Buying CPAP supplies online: who do you prefer? Hmm888 1 818 09-06-2023, 11:38 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
Question [Equipment] AirSense 11 app not supported in Australia aussiemark22 17 3,963 08-04-2023, 03:31 AM
Last Post: yuqinhuang
  Buying ASV online without a prescription books456 19 1,981 05-31-2023, 09:58 PM
Last Post: DevinJones
Question [Equipment] Buying Used ResMed "Floor Demo Model" - Limitations? tehsygi 11 1,083 05-29-2023, 03:14 PM
Last Post: Crimson Nape
  Quick Question - Worth Buying ASV If Tweaking CPAP Isn't Working? Apnea23 3 638 04-18-2023, 07:54 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.