Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

CPAP causes nasal congestion
RE: CPAP causes nasal congestion
I have had regular congestion for many years due to anatomical oddities. I had surgery which helped a little, but mostly I just have to live with it. Using a pap machine has not made it any worse. I take Mucinex before bed and use a spray of Flonase before masking up. I sleep largely on my back. That position helps any drainage run unnoticeably down my throat. Maybe this would work for you.

Best of luck with whatever you try!
Machine:  ResMed AirCurve 10 Vauto
Mask:  Bleep DreamPort Sleep Solution
Post Reply Post Reply
Being able to analyse sleep data in more detail, via Rescan in my case, was beneficial.
I was troubled by early awakenings. I was able to attribute many of these to long obstructive apnoea which coincided with waking early, caused by a blocked nose. (Nasal pillows mask).
This issue only started when I changed my Resmed S8 Autoset for an Airsense 10 with climate line tubing. It's standard SD card enabled me to use Rescan to view my detailed data.

With the S8 and the humidifier set to about 75% of maximum, the water chamber would be about 10% full at the end of a typical night. I was not much troubled by early awakening with that CPAP, nor by a blocked nose at night.

I was surprised to find that with the Airsense 10 and humidification level and tubing temperature set to auto, the water chamber would always be 50% full at the end of a night, and I would often wake early with a blocked nose, or at the usual time with much more nasal dryness than with the S8. Experimenting with manual humidifier settings, I found that with humidifier set to 6 and tube temp to max, the problem was reduced but not eliminated, and the water chamber would be nearly empty.

Coincidentally I had an ENT appointment for an unrelated issue and discussed this with the surgeon. He indicated that my nasal turbinates were enlarged, one side more than the other, and might contribute to a blocked nose if CPAP temperature and humidity were not optimal. I finally (after several cancellations due to COVID lockdowns) managed to arrange turbinate reduction by RF ablation. This was a painless and quick outpatient procedure, and effective after a 3-4 week healing time. Since then I've had almost zero awakenings due to un-supressed respiratory events.
Post Reply Post Reply
It would be really interesting to see before and after OSCAR graphs to see the difference.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  nasal congestion relief sleepingbetterinFl 2 158 03-23-2024, 01:54 PM
Last Post: sleepingbetterinFl
  Nasal irrigation sleepingbetterinFl 8 322 03-11-2024, 10:50 AM
Last Post: HalfAsleep
  Alternative Therapy to CPAP (Nasal Breathing) Wcwilson 1 150 03-07-2024, 04:02 PM
Last Post: G. Szabo
  If nasal congestion is a problem, will this show in my AHI? canigetawitness1992 4 392 01-29-2024, 09:20 PM
Last Post: RNeil
Question [Equipment] Fullface or Nasal? Jose Castro 10 865 01-17-2024, 03:11 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  Nasal Surgery and CPAP tolerance Norman2195 6 707 12-27-2023, 11:19 AM
Last Post: Jay51
  Do wedged pillows alleviate nasal congestion? NoddingHacker 1 388 12-07-2023, 09:15 AM
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.