Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

CPAP cleaner Respify [anyone buy this?]
RE: CPAP cleaner Respify [anyone buy this?]
An excerpt from the FDA on UV and Ozone cleaners:
Quote:“The FDA has identified several manufacturers that are marketing ozone gas or UV light-based products claiming to clean, disinfect or sanitize CPAP devices and accessories in the home,” said William H. Maisel, M.D., M.P.H, director of the Office of Product Evaluation and Quality in the FDA’s Center for Devices and Radiological Health. “Exposure to high levels of ozone gas may worsen a patients’ existing chronic respiratory diseases or increase the chance of a respiratory infection. UV light-based products could cause burns, eye damage or increase the risk of skin cancer due to over exposure. The FDA has contacted manufacturers of products making these claims and asked them to submit data demonstrating their safety and effectiveness.”

The full article: https://www.fda.gov/news-events/press-an...one-gas-or
Jeff8356

MacBook Air (2017, Intel) | macOS Monterey (12.7) | OSCAR v1.5.1 | VM = Win10/Win11 |
How to Links:
Installing OSCAR on a Mac
Organizing your OSCAR charts
Attaching screenshots and files for the forum
OSCAR Help
OSCAR - The Guide

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-29-2020, 12:54 AM)Timewellspent Wrote: Seems a lot of people don’t like the ozone cleaners!  
   I look at it as a supplement to your cleaning routine. I wash my tubing and mask once a week with dial anti bacterial hand soap using one of those long tube brushes ( good scrubbing ) , run hot water through it for three minutes, then let it dry. (Wipe mask daily)
   After it is completely dry I use the ozone cleaner , attaches to the end of the hose , put my mask in a bag and let it run (approx 30 minutes).
   I usually put it in my bathroom with the window open and close the door to avoid the odor.
   I Never use it directly on the machine as I never thought that was good for the motor.
   I feel you can’t be to careful When it comes to your health!

You've made a good point in your caution about placing the whole machine inside the container, and won't try it, now that I have the plastic container.  I'll just stick with the mask, hose and humidifier container with the Respify 2 into the 16 qt sealed box.  The new square version doesn't hook up to the hose, and basically "bathes" the contents of the container with ionized air.

It's interesting how many people are too young to remember the smell of line dried laundry.  I don't consider it an odor at all, although I always air out the CPAP items after removing them from the container, and before hooking everything back up.
Post Reply Post Reply
I suggest that anyone considering purchase of an ozone or UV light CPAP cleaning machine read the complete FDA news release found at this link: https://www.fda.gov/news-events/press-an...one-gas-or

The agency is concerned about both safety and efficacy and refers to them as illegally marketed products. The FDA has the authority to halt production and sale of these products and I expect they will do so if the companies cannot provide scientific data demonstrating their safety and efficacy. I have read the lab studies referenced by the leading manufacturers of ozone and UV sanitizing/cleaning devices and, writing as one who has developed and performed many protocols for cleaning, sanitization, and sterilization processes for FDA review, can state they do not come close to meeting the requirements for validation of efficacy required by the FDA. If they cannot provide more convincing studies, I suspect they will be taken off the market.

The FDA’s recommendation for users is what many of us in the forum have repeatedly recommended.
“To ensure the safe and effective cleaning of CPAP devices and accessories, the FDA is recommending that consumers and health care providers follow the cleaning instructions provided by the CPAP’s manufacturer, which normally include regular cleaning with soap and water.”

Download OSCAR

Organize Charts
Attaching Charts

Mask Primer
Soft Cervical Collar

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.

Post Reply Post Reply
I wonder if those 11 complainants from 2017 through 2019 who were using the cleaning devices, were following directions.
Post Reply Post Reply
I would venture to say those unnamed 11 users in the article Melman has linked were using these questionable cleaning devices as designed and as directions stated.

The problem on the subject of these products labeled as CPAP cleaners, is that they are going about that act of "cleaning" in a fashion that the FDA has not proven as safe. The use of these products is not approved by the CPAP manufacturers signified by the fact that the warranty has expressly stated it will be void if you use these cleaning devices.

The solution is simple. Do not buy or use these CPAP "cleaners". Use a mild dish soap and very warm water.

Additional info

Quote of ResMed Warranty in part
"This limited warranty is only available to the initial consumer. It is not transferable. If the product fails under conditions of normal use, ResMed will repair or replace, at its option, the defective product or any of its components.

This limited warranty does not cover:
a) any damage caused as a result of improper use, abuse, modification or alteration of the product;

b) repairs carried out by any service organization that has not been expressly authorized by ResMed to perform such repairs;

c) any damage or contamination due to cigarette, pipe, cigar or other smoke;

d) any damage caused by exposure to ozone, activated oxygen or other gases; and

e) any damage or contamination due to insect infestation.

This limited warranty does not cover damage caused by regular wear and tear on the AirTouch UltraSoft memory foam cushion."
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I do have a question.

The F20 & F30 quiet elbows seem to develop dark spots in the batting that align with the holes. Sometimes it takes magnification to see the buildup on the fibers.

Do these inexpensive ozone cleaners remove that buildup?

If they do, it solves a problem, especially if the elbows are rotated and not re-used for months.

If they don’t, there is a question of how well these devices actually clean.

John
Post Reply Post Reply
They don't clean. Ozone will kill microorganisms but it will not remove any materials from surfaces nor will it penetrate and kill microorganisms covered by any material such as dried saliva. If the black spots ar microbial growth it may kill them if it diffuses into the batting but it will not remove the material. As for the inexpensive ozone generators, I have been unable to find any documentationthat they generate significant ozone to kill anything.
Download OSCAR

Organize Charts
Attaching Charts

Mask Primer
Soft Cervical Collar

Post Reply Post Reply
Just wondering. Thanks!

I don’t use a humidifier so mine doesn’t get bad, but I do use vinegar to clean mine.

John
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  VirtuClean CPAP Ozone Cleaner moondoggy 16 4,525 03-08-2024, 10:11 PM
Last Post: G. Szabo
  Purdoux [CPAP mask & hose cleaner] Mrzocor 2 587 06-24-2023, 10:41 PM
Last Post: Mrzocor
  New CPAP cleaner djfro 3 717 03-22-2023, 07:40 AM
Last Post: djfro
  [Equipment] CPAP cleaner recommendation smallur 14 3,957 09-22-2021, 08:11 PM
Last Post: archangle
  Resmed auto sense10 sounds like vacuum cleaner Beaumont1124 3 2,494 11-27-2020, 03:43 PM
Last Post: Mercergirl
Question [Equipment] SLEEP8 CPAP CLEANER srlevine1 4 2,533 05-18-2019, 10:32 PM
Last Post: srlevine1
  Another CPAP Cleaner Hits the Market Crimson Nape 26 10,911 03-01-2019, 02:15 PM
Last Post: japers

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.