Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

CPAP device actually worsens tiredness during day?
Hello everyone,
I am new to this forum. I have recently rented a ResMed Airsense 10 auto-CPAP. 
Is it common to have the device actually worsening the level of available energy during the day? 
Can you please suggest me any similar forum thread to read about that?
I have tried with a nasal mask which worsened my concentration and energy during the day and an oro-nasal mask which seems to have no effect on the level of energy I have in daytime.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: CPAP device actually worsens tiredness during day?
Yes, it's a pretty common experience to have the device interfere with sleep and lessen energy during the day.  It takes a while and some experimentation to get comfortable with the therapy.  If you download the OSCAR software and post some reports from the machine, the forum may be able to analyze the information and make suggestions to increase your comfort and the effectiveness of the therapy.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hello cdplatt,
thank you very much for your reply.
I attach to this message my last-day report screenshot as well as the last-month overview screenshot. I can't zoom out in Oscar, I can't see any zoom control sliders.
If you need any adjustment to my screenshots please let me know.

Post Reply Post Reply
You're have a high leak rate for most of the night.

You mention using a nasal mask, but your profile says full face mask. Which mask are you using?
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
As Opal said high leaks. With that type of leaks your Cpap can’t even record your apnea. It may be high but the Cpap is identifying when there is an obstruction but with a large leak the Cpap will not find an obstruction because the air is escaping so no blockage.

Most of your leaks are mouth leaks. You can tell by flat topped seals while spiked leaks are from a mask.

Some use tapping the mouth and some use a full face mask. What ever you can do to stop the leaks or the Cpap is useless.
Apnea (80-100%) 10 seconds, Hypopnea (50-80%) 10 seconds, Flow Limits (0-50%) not timed  Cervical Collar - Dealing w DME - Chart Organizing
Post Reply Post Reply
Hello everyone,
thank you very much for your replies. I am currently using a full-face mask.
I also use some cotton between the bridge of my nose and the mask in order to reduce air leaks pointing towards my eyes during the night and pain on the bridge of my nose. Perhaps that cotton is not actually helping...
I tried a nasal mask about 1 month ago for a couple of days but I felt wasted when I woke up (tired and brain fogged) so I turned back to the full-face mask.
I have a deviated septum obstructing most of the airflow in one of my nostrils. That is also a reason my doctor suggested me to use a full-face mask.
Post Reply Post Reply
as to "tapping the mouth", I would not do that because it would prevent me from breathing when my "open nostril" is not working and all the air flow should pass through my closed nostril.
Post Reply Post Reply
Since you're using a full face mask, then the mouth breathing is not the issue.

The mask itself is leaking somewhere, or simply isn't a good fit for you.  You may need to try a different style mask.

Read the Mask Primer
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I see... thank you very much for your hint and link.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  ResMed 10 Card-to-Cloud: no cellular device NelsonM 20 3,050 03-14-2024, 10:08 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Tongue retaining device with cpap question blancobonzo 1 975 02-21-2024, 07:20 PM
Last Post: G. Szabo
  [Symptoms] Terrible brain fog and tiredness despite low AHI - Can you see anything in OSCAR? youthfulapnea 4 394 01-27-2024, 04:03 AM
Last Post: OpalRose
  Replacement Device and Leaks jtardo 3 366 01-15-2024, 11:04 PM
Last Post: robbob2112
  New Device Looking for Insite. Jesmitty88 3 405 12-09-2023, 04:50 PM
Last Post: robbob2112
Question [Equipment] BEFORE YOU TRUST ANY COMMERCIAL NON-FDA DEVICE srlevine1 0 327 12-06-2023, 02:04 AM
Last Post: srlevine1
  [News] INGESTIBLE MIT DEVICE TO DETECT OSA? srlevine1 1 356 11-20-2023, 12:12 PM
Last Post: UnicornRider

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.