Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[CPAP] flem in trhroat
flem in trhroat
When i have nasal mask on after a couple hours it feeld like i have flem in my throat what could be causing this
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: flem in trhroat
post nasal drip

cpap pressure is unlikely to be 3.5... im going to guess that is your humidity setting. maybe you are literally breathing water... unless you have a heated hose turned up to about 86, seems like a possibility
هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه  هههههه
Tongue Suck Technique for prevention of mouth breathing:
  • Place your tongue behind your front teeth on the roof of your mouth
  • let your tongue fill the space between the upper molars
  • gently suck to form a light vacuum

Practising during the day can help you to keep it at night

هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه  هههههه
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-27-2015, 08:29 PM)ziggy06582 Wrote: When i have nasal mask on after a couple hours it feeld like i have flem in my throat what could be causing this

ziggy,
It is possible that your humidify setting is to high. When I started CPAP,
I had a lot of issues with post nasal drip, congestion, sinus, you name it. But after awhile on CPAP, it actually cleared up on its own.
What is your pressure setting. If you know, put it in your profile, because as Daria said, 3.5 sounds like a humidify setting.
OpalRose
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
my humidity level is actually 4.0 should i lower it
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-27-2015, 09:02 PM)ziggy06582 Wrote: my humidity level is actually 4.0 should i lower it

Probably ... Try 3.5

Post Reply Post Reply
thanks everybody i will try it
Post Reply Post Reply
"phlegminess"
  • could be too high humidity, (Do you have a heated hose?)
  • humidity too low causing dryness which creates secretions (not at 4 probably...)
  • could be allergies and post nasal drip
  • could be you are mouth breathing and creating dryness which causes secretions
  • other things I didnt think of

You should give some more information Smile

meanwhile, yeah - turn that thing down to 3.5 or 3... I think most people hang out in that area
Tongue Suck Technique for prevention of mouth breathing:
  • Place your tongue behind your front teeth on the roof of your mouth
  • let your tongue fill the space between the upper molars
  • gently suck to form a light vacuum

Practising during the day can help you to keep it at night

Post Reply Post Reply
Humidity is trial and error. For some people, higher is better, for some, lower is better.

I have problems with crud in my throat on CPAP. I keep a water bottle with a flip top at bedside and sip it whenever it bothers me during the night. I sometimes keep something like crackers nearby to eat to help clear my throat.

Get the free OSCAR CPAP software here.
Useful links.
Click here for information on the main alternative to CPAP.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check it yourself.
Post Reply Post Reply
I agree humidity is highly person specific. When I use a FFM or nasal mask I set the humidity to 72, but with nasal pillows that puppy goes up to 76-78. I've never had a problem with phlegm in my throat though. Best of luck figuring it out!
Post Reply Post Reply
Ziggie, a couple thought about your profile: Your humidifier is a Resmed H5I. The machine is a Resmed S9 and some model (Elite, autoset?). As you have questions, it will be helpful if your profile is more accurate. Double check what your pressures are set to. All of the Resmed machines have a minimum pressure of 4.0 cmH2O. Your pressure is not 3.5. You might also be using EPR (exhale pressure relief).

Other than the phlem, how's things going?
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.