Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

CPAP intolerance - What can be done?
CPAP intolerance - What can be done?
[parts of this thread were copied from the old forum]

i'm here Wrote:I've tried and tried but can't tolerate any mask on my face since I always feel like I'm being smothered and can't breathe. <_<

The question is what can be done, if anything? Anyone have any input?

Thanks.

P.S. Also, nasal pillows don't work since the thing never stays on my head when I turn over and move about in my sleep (nice thought though if anyone was going to suggest nasal pillows or nasal prongs).
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: CPAP intolerance - What can be done?
Wow. You've been on CPAP for well over a year now, haven't you?

All this time, you've been having problems, or did you switch to another type of mask? Did you ever have a mask that was giving your less problems than your current one?

What type/brand of mask(s) have you been using over the past year?
SuperSleeper
Apnea Board Administrator
www.ApneaBoard.com

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.

Post Reply Post Reply
i'm here Wrote:
supersleeper,Apr 9 2008, 12:53 PM Wrote:Wow. You've been on CPAP for well over a year now, haven't you?

All this time, you've been having problems, or did you switch to another type of mask? Did you ever have a mask that was giving your less problems than your current one?

What type/brand of mask(s) have you been using over the past year?
Yes, over a year now.

Let's see, I've tried various nasal masks of different styles and size. I've tried a few nasal pillows. I've tried the Nasal Air II prongs (kept sliding off). Can't recall all the brand names, Swift, Respironics masks, etc.

Ooof, it's a hard road right now. Blink

A mask giving me less problems than my current ones? Yes a nasal pillow, at least I didn't suffocate but I couldn't get it to not fall off when I turned over in bed (rats!, cause I liked the fit of this one!).

Speaking of the nasal pillows and the Nasal Air II (nasal prongs), maybe you people can give me ideas on how to rig it so it wouldn't keep falling off? I'd appreciate it.
Post Reply Post Reply
dtripper,Apr 10 2008, 06:27 AM Wrote:I am having the same problem in just a month(full mask) I am prone to headaches and the mask just makes it worse. I am trying a new mask on friday but I have a feeling I will be bagging the whole thing and take my chances.
I lot of people have problems with full face masks. They generally tend to leak more, simply because there is more area that must seal, due to the larger size, as compared to a standard nasal mask. In addition, due to leak problems with full face masks, people tend to "tighten down" the straps much more so than they would have done with a nasal mask - that can cause headaches as well.

Unless you're having problems with a nasal mask, I would suggest dumping the full face mask.

Please see my note below on possible masks to try.
SuperSleeper
www.ApneaBoard.com

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.

Post Reply Post Reply
i'm here,Apr 10 2008, 08:38 AM Wrote:Let's see, I've tried various nasal masks of different styles and size. I've tried a few nasal pillows. I've tried the Nasal Air II prongs (kept sliding off). Can't recall all the brand names, Swift, Respironics masks, etc.

Ooof, it's a hard road right now. Blink

A mask giving me less problems than my current ones? Yes a nasal pillow, at least I didn't suffocate but I couldn't get it to not fall off when I turned over in bed (rats!, cause I liked the fit of this one!).

Speaking of the nasal pillows and the Nasal Air II (nasal prongs), maybe you people can give me ideas on how to rig it so it wouldn't keep falling off? I'd appreciate it.
All I can give you is some info I've learned. I currently use the Mirage Swift II nasal pillows system. It's not perfect, but I do like the ability to "see beyond my nose" when a mask is on. It will, once in a great while, come loose, so I generally wear it a bit tighter than I'm supposed to, I think, and I do suffer a bit from the "morning red marks" on my face.

Before that, I used an Ultra Mirage nasal mask (Resmed). I was pretty happy with it - and it probably tended to seal better than the nasal pillows system, but it was bulky, and I couldn't see past my nose when wearing it, so I switched to the Mirage Swift instead.

My father, who also has sleep apnea, swears by Resmed's Mirage Activa mask. I've never tried it, but it has some sort of "ActiveCell Technology" that is supposed help seal the mask better, with less strap tightening, and it is better for those who move around a lot at night. It forms a bubble type seal which permits the frame of the mask to shift separately from the cushion. This assists in keeping the mask in place and sealed even while changing sleep positions. From what I've heard, this system seems to solve a lot people's problems (at least those with sealing and moving around a lot at night).

If all types of masks keep falling off your head, I'm wondering, is this caused by your movement at night, taking up slack in the hose (where the hose itself is "pulling" the mask off your face)? If that's the case, you may want to get a longer hose, or get one of those "over the headboard" contraptions, which keeps the hose untangled, over your head.

SuperSleeper
www.ApneaBoard.com

Post Reply Post Reply
dtripper Wrote:One month and two masks down. I just tried the mouth/nasal pillow version but with no success.. The pillows would not stay in causing major leaks. I even tried taping them in with moleskin. They came ajar when inadvertently I scratched my nose while sleeping.......arrgh!!! IT IS NOT NORMAL TO WEAR A MASK WHILE SLEEPING!
Post Reply Post Reply
gutiesleep Wrote:Hi
I am also a veteran of Nasal Aire 1 and 2 with some success but had to rig up a head piece from a another mask to keep it in my nose. I have tried 7 other masks with out much success.
But the good news is that I overheard my MES talking about aq new cloth mask.
The more I heard the more I thought it would sovle my problems--large nose and nairs)

That has been over one year ago and I can tell you that the Sleep Weaver Mask by Circadiance is the mots comfortable mask I have ever experienced after 5 years on CPAP.

Now I understand you can try it risk free--full refund if it does not work.
Check out their website at http://www.circadiance.com
You will bless the day you read this post or I'll eat my Sleep Weaver.
Good luck and don't give up
Frank
Post Reply Post Reply
lovinmysleep Wrote:Hi Frank,

I checked out the site for Circadiance, and based on your testimonial regarding it. It looks very promising.

I'm new to CPAP use, and already love the several hours of sleep that I am getting now. However, I was getting a bit of skin irritation with the comfort gel nose mask, and burning nostrils with a bit a leakage with the nasal pillows. So, I am definitely going to add the Circadiance devise to my CPAP "bag-o-wears" very soon!

Thank you!

Kim
Post Reply Post Reply
tcbe Wrote:Don't give up. I have been on CPAP for 1.5 years. I still hate it but it helps. I am currently using the nasal pillows and they seem to be the best. They still fall off, wake me up but its better then not using it. One thing that I did to help was to get a longer hose. I went from a 6 foot hose to an 8 foot hose. You would tink that a 6 foot hose would be long enough but I found when I turned over it restricted me. Going to an 8 foot hose with a cloth cover made it easier to turn over and didn't pull off the mask. There are nights that I just can't sleep with the darn mask, but most of the time its OK.
Tom
Post Reply Post Reply
pauline Wrote:I had a terrible time adjusting to my Cpap machine too...but I was so sick, I had to make it work. Once I really used it, I actually felt the difference in the first week.

How do you feel when you do not use it? I felt awful, woke up in panics all night with my heart palpitating, and my blood pressure shot up.

I went to another doctor who prescribed me a different machine and mask, which has worked so much better for me, although of course, there are still times when I just wish it were different.

For me, accepting the facts of my situation was important...I began to google and discovered how every serious sleep apnea is, and how it had been affecting my health and life.

Now, I walk 30 minutes every day in the morning before work, when before I was hurting if I walked 5 blocks, I have lost 100 pounds on Weight Watchers, and all my vital signs are good or excellent. I feel so much better, ny daughter tells me I am no longer the irritable person she used to know.

Unless your level is around 4 or something, I am not sure your chances are very good...so I would do everything I could to make it work.

Good luck.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  EPI (Expiratory pressure intolerance) on SH Michaely6 2 1,318 06-15-2019, 12:38 PM
Last Post: Michaely6

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.