Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

CPAP machine goes on, off, on, off, on, off, etc.
CPAP machine goes on, off, on, off, on, off, etc.
My CPAP machine goes on, then off repeatedly, over and over again when I begin to use it. First, a little history.

I was on CPAP for nearly ten years before I began to have problems. Up until then I was a conscientious user that had never experienced any significant problem. Then, my machine began to randomly shut down during the night. I would wake because my breathing was impaired, but if I continued breathing, it would start up again after a brief time, but I would then have some trouble getting back to sleep. I consulted with my sleep doctor, but got no help from him. I am on Medicare and knew that I can get a new machine every five years, and that anniversary was coming up soon, so I just toughed it out for several months.

I received a new machine, but the situation became even worse, in a somewhat different way. Now, when I activate the machine it begins pumping, then stops, then begins again after a short period, stops again, etc. for some period of time (the ‘on’ period being between 30 seconds and ten minutes). Then, eventually, it begins to work normally. This happens both when I go to bed, and also when I reactivate it after getting up to take a pee. This has gone on for as long as over an hour, but usually not that long. I consulted with my DME, and worked on troubleshooting the problem with them, as well as troubleshooting on my own. I tried every combination of settings that might influence it, with no success or improvement. This went on for a month, but nothing seemed to solve the problem, so my DME sent me a replacement machine.

I found that the replacement machine performed no better. I continued to troubleshoot and experiment and eventually learned that if I turned off all ‘smart’ features of the machine, manually starting and stopping it, using only the CPAP mode with a constant pressure, no ramp,  and going to sleep on my left side, I had the least problem. Based up on my experience and troubleshooting I began to think the problem might not be with the machine, but that it might be me that is the problem.

I analyze my sleep periodically with Oscar software, but see nothing that indicates it is something I am doing, or not doing, that triggers the machine to shut down. When it does shut down the machine registers it as a ‘mask off’ event. My ResMed machine only counts ‘mask off’  events up to ten, and most of the time my nightly ‘mask off’ events are registered as ten, even though they should actually be two or three. I continue to use the machine eight hours a night with AHIs generally below 4 and usually with an adequate mask fit, but laying there waiting while the machine is doing it’s off/ons before it kicks in to begin pumping normally a number of times a night is very annoying. What could my problem be?  Huh
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: CPAP machine goes on, off, on, off, on, off, etc.
I have no idea what the problem is, but if you post a couple of recent Oscar posts maybe someone will see something that will help us figure out what is happening.  I hope so!  Smile
Machine:  ResMed AirCurve 10 Vauto
Mask:  Bleep DreamPort Sleep Solution
Post Reply Post Reply
Do you have smart start/stop enabled?

As Deb K said, OSCAR data will prove valuable.
Post Reply Post Reply
Turn off smart start.

I use smart start/stop, but Start doesn’t work: it does a kind of vague air spurt. So, I have to do one click on top to get it blasting away.
Post Reply Post Reply
So it's an Airsense 11, and the second one you've tried that is having the same issue? Oscar could help as the others have suggested, post a daily chart please. Did you use the new PSU and have you tried a new surge protector, or is it plugged directly into a wall outlet?
Post Reply Post Reply
FWIW my whole first night with the new biPAP, I had mask on, plugged in, and the unit on. I couldn't figure out why I was half dying. The next morning, the unit indicated I hadn't used it at all, and I'd just been breathing with mask on. I thought I'd fixed the problem, but I had the same issues intermittently for several nights. Then, I figured out I actually have to hit the button on top to start the unit after I take a bathroom break or otherwise get up, or even when I first hook up for the night. If I don't do that, the unit has a very feeble, jerky, airflow, with no pressure.

I never had this issue on my Resmed Airsense 10.

It sounds like you've tried many variables, but this sounds very much like what you're describing.

Good luck. I think you'll find the answer. But, yes, post the Oscars.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thank you for all your replies. Yes, I agree that Oscar data would be helpful. Attached find two days 24 and 25 April. On both days I had numerous on/offs when I began a session. 
Is this enough Oscar data -- should I have presented more?

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Exclaimation CPAP Machine Choices - read this before you accept a new machine SuperSleeper 293 266,654 05-03-2024, 07:03 AM
Last Post: rivkamakeda
  Buying CPAP machine for non United States resident ivan007 6 211 05-03-2024, 07:01 AM
Last Post: pholynyk
  Which machine to get for initial self treatment - Auto CPAP vs. BIPAP ST MVoltaire 8 320 04-04-2024, 04:01 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Using CPAP machine to perform Sleep test ivan007 3 234 04-02-2024, 03:28 AM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  Feel like my CPAP machine is killing me jimbob123 1 243 03-27-2024, 05:42 AM
Last Post: Rich66
  Need help new on CPAP machine Jimasripper 10 467 03-22-2024, 03:08 PM
Last Post: Jimasripper
  Ready to buy CPAP machine NewlyDiagnosed 29 1,011 03-21-2024, 01:42 PM
Last Post: NewlyDiagnosed

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.