Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

CPAP machines of the future
CPAP machines of the future
I have no idea as to how often CPAP machines are updated and improved. Not sure if I posed this question in the past, and if I may have........well blame my age.  Bigwink

Anyways, what kind of improvements and/or options would you like to see in the next generation of machines? I'd like to see larger water reservoirs, a built in clock, and maybe an alarm (battery powered) to alert you of a power outage. 

How about some kind of reminder to remind you to change out the air filter and other appropriate equipment when the time comes? Some way to keep track of what equipment you have swapped out or not. 

I seriously don't know if I'll still be using a CPAP a couple of years down the road. I'd like to think that I might, but I just don't know at this point in time. 

I know there's a lot of you that have been at this for a very long time, and I admire and respect that.  Well-done
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: CPAP machines of the future
Would you believe you can set reminders in your current machine for changing the mask, humidifier chamber, tube and filter? It's under reminders in the setup if you want to be nagged.

People want their CPAP to double as an alarm clock, but I keep reminding them it is a therapy device and the clock is not there for the user. It is there to measure the time in therapy. People already get into trouble resetting the clock which cannot be set backwards to the previous day or session. If the clock was completely uncoupleid from therapy, then fine, but don't we all have a smartphone now?

I think a lot of people want smaller devices, and I think the manufacturers will continue to make a more compact form-factor. That kind of runs counter to larger humidifier tubs, which seems adequate if leaks are controlled.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
G'day Big Guy. This discussion does come up from time to time, but it's always interesting to speculate. In the normal course of events Resmed would be releasing its next major update in the next year or so. However I expect they're flat out making ventilators and CPAP development is on the back burner.
  • I'd like to see larger water reservoirs, Yep - don't want people running dry
  • a built in clock, I've been wanting this for a long time. I think one of the Fisher & Paykel models has a clock
  • and maybe an alarm (battery powered) to alert you of a power outage.  Some of the higher end machines have this but I wonder if it's necessary for home use. Our power supply is very reliable but I suppose other places have frequent blackouts. But even if the power does go off it's not really a problem - with nasal mask or pillows you'd just start breathing through your mouth and for FFM you can comfortably breathe without the machine running.

A few other things I expect to see, or would like to see..
  • Like to see: "Brick" machines to be totally phased out
  • Expect to see: A much bigger emphasis on remote monitoring and control. Maybe SD card slots get phased out except for a limited range of machines. More machines with Bluetooth to report via phone apps.
  • Like to see: Upgradable machines. There's a lot of speculation that the mechanical innards of are the same across a line of machines and the only significant difference is in the firmware. If so, I want to see firmware upgrades made available at a reasonable price.
  • Better uniformity in production standards and tighter tolerances so we don't get noisy machines being passed off as "within specification".
Post Reply Post Reply
There will be no cpap's for home use. You will get more specialized pacemakers or my choice of preference a bionic trachea valve with the ability to adjust settings like a cpaps.
Post Reply Post Reply
People want their CPAP to double as an alarm clock, but I keep reminding them it is a therapy device and the clock is not there for the user. It is there to measure the time in therapy.

I was thinking more along the lines of an LED type clock, not to keep track of the machine's hours, but to more-or-less allow you to simply see what time it is, as well as the date. 

I keep an LED clock alongside my CPAP machine. I do have the room for it on top of my bedside file cabinet, but it would be nice if it was integrated into the machine itself. If you could change the color of the readout, that would be a bonus.
Post Reply Post Reply
Maybe 1 machine covers all of the CPAP class. It will expand the various modes of operation from CPAP to ASV. The problem is the CPAP just got a lot more expensive with this in place.

One real change may be a size decrease as mentioned above. Maybe it's a size and shape change the manufacturers choose.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Clock - What Big Guy said. Simple digital clocks are included in all sorts of devices and appliances (eg microwave ovens). It's not the prime purpose of the device, it is a convenience for the user.

Size & shape - there will be a limit on how small you can make the unit without compromising on some other aspect of its operation. 300 ml of water is always going to occupy 300 ml. Smaller air chambers and fans imply faster gas velocities which are less efficient and noisier.
Post Reply Post Reply
Better masks would be my hope.
Maybe some form of mouldable mask, similar to mouth guards.
Something more lightweight and less obtrusive, less noisy and that seals 100% even when I'm doing somersaults in my sleep.
The mask has a huge effect of efficacy and patient comfort, and requires the biggest improvements IMO.

To me, the machine essentially just blows air. Modern machines do that very well and reliably.
They could do better at separating sleep and wake events, and they could be more accurate in event detection. It also seems like ASV should be the standard operating mode, I don't believe that the machine hardware is (or should be) much different. The different price points are just BS.
All, still using SD cards is just BS too. There should be just two machines available - one designed for users who can manage their own treatment (wifi enabled etc.), and one that the patient is relying on doctor support. Doing this means the patients that need support can get better levels of it, and the rest of us don't need to bother with the doctor side of it.
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-26-2020, 05:03 PM)SarcasticDave94 Wrote: Maybe 1 machine covers all of the CPAP class. It will expand the various modes of operation from CPAP to ASV. The problem is the CPAP just got a lot more expensive with this in place.

One real change may be a size decrease as mentioned above. Maybe it's a size and shape change the manufacturers choose.

Dave I have one of those a Resmed Lumis tx your right it is cost prohibitive if all you need is a CPAP
Post Reply Post Reply
Yes, jaswilliams, I've heard those machines have most/all every CPAP class mode available.

Starting everyone on ASV? Not a real good idea. A few users here have reported less than optimal results after trying an ASV they bought used online, and yet ASV really was not needed. CPAP only for everyone and ASV for everyone are both not the right answer.

I still use an SD card for OSCAR.

Now, the better mask portion, I really think this could be an area where things change for the better. How about this: a new take on "mask kit"? Here's the mask kit with a form fitting mold thing, maybe microwave or hot water heating, shape to fit exactly, etc. If your mask gets to leaking or seems a bit out of shape, reheat and bend the shape a bit. Alternate, is more 3D print masks.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  csa machines cexer 1 73 03-20-2024, 01:43 PM
Last Post: cexer
  Returning defective machines to Philips Respironics big_dave 5 673 02-04-2024, 02:15 PM
Last Post: big_dave
  Central vs. OA Events: Switching Machines or Tweaking Current CPAP Settings? fjones416 4 498 12-14-2023, 12:28 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  Difference in Machines SufiMindtricks 8 595 11-26-2023, 11:59 AM
Last Post: HappySailor
  SoClean & other CPAP cleaning machines britincanada 505 83,127 11-12-2023, 12:35 PM
Last Post: Sleepster
Angry [Equipment] KILLER STORY ON PHILLIPS CPAP MACHINES srlevine1 10 2,019 11-03-2023, 08:27 AM
Last Post: DaveL
  Travel PAP machines - heat/moisture exchange units - do they work? Bostonsnow 1 752 06-10-2023, 06:34 AM
Last Post: cate1898

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.